Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question to put out here. I have a 99 RS, and it is running rich again. Previously had a time where it flooded the cylinders with gas and hydrolocked. Starting to look things over today and I find that the wires to the sensor and heater?? on the carb are disconnected. Anyone know if this was something commonly done on purpose or should they be attached to keep things running right?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
909 Posts
My first impression is that your float valves are failing and don't shut off fuel flow allowing the float bowls to flood. Could very well be dirt particles keeping the float valves from closing completely.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope. Not the TPS. Looking at a service manual online, I believe it's for the carburetor heater. Two wire connectors, one a female spade and the other a female bullet type, were unplugged on the bottom side of the carb.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it fired up again. Runs poorly, and has gas coming out of the carb into the "V" between the cylinders. Believe you may be correct Sir on the floats or something stuck. Dripping gas pretty good.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
when you get the float valves fixed you need to check the oil to see if it smells like gas.

It does not take much gas dilution in the oil to destroy its viscosity, then your bearings start chewing up.

3 quarts of generic 20W 40 at Walmart is $9, don't even think of riding the bike if there is gas in the oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts