Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put new Hard Krome pipes on my 99 1100 Custom and pulled my carbs to rejet. Had a question on the brass fitting between the two bowls. Curious as to what this fitting is. My guess is a gas overflow, but would like to know for sure. Getting ready to put my carbs back on and just wanted to know if it should be capped or not. Thought it might have had a cap that fell off. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
I believe it is a fuel overflow. I just installed a Kuryakyn hypercharger and rejetted the carbs on my 2002 V star 1100 Classic. I didn't plug that fitting and it runs just fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! Just wanted to make sure before I put my carbs back on the bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
do not plug that fitting!! 1 you flood out carb or two if theres a little leak god forbid little fire. its an over flow your right. make sure that before you reassemble carbs u blow the carbs out with air hose sometimes very little shaving remain and after 100 or so miles will fet stuck in pickup limiting the speed of the bike. good luck be safe riding joe10308

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

Thanks for the reponses to my question. Left the fitting unplugged, put my carbs back on, synchronized them and took a long ride yesteday afternoon. My bike is running like a champ.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Brian has it sat for any length of time? Does it do it all the time? I know if my choke is on partially when I roll out the drive (downhill) it revs up. Do you get any fuel overflow? Maybe stuck float.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Answer about revving

Thanks for the help. It pays to ask. My mechanic called me right after and said that he had found a leak in the manifold and had to re sync the carbs. Runs like a champ now. Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jets

I used the jet sizes recommended in the jetting article on the site listed below. Only changed my main jets. I used mikuni jets, not the dynojets. I used a 115 in the front and 112.5 in the rear which was recommended in the article and adjusted my pilot mixing screws out 3turns. Left the same 17.5 pilot jets on both carbs, just cleaned them up. Synched my carbs and also replaced the the stock air filter with a K&N filter. Running good but not perfect, I might have to do some fine tuning with the PM screws.
http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/Other-Stuff/CycleForay/1100jetting.pdf

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
At higher speeds when you back off the throttle quickly does it pop and crackle a little bit? If it does you can open your PMS 1/8 to 1/4 at a time till it gets to a manageable level or the opposite close it off till it just starts to pop/crackle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jets

Woodticka, I used Mikuni jets not the Dynojets. I used the jetting recommendations in rejetting article for the V Star (link below). I replaced the front main jet with a 115 and I put a 112.5 main in the rear carb. I kept the same 17.5 pilot jets, I just cleaned them up. I also replaced my stock air filter with a K & N filter. Adjusted my pilot mixing screw out 3 turns. Running good, but not perfect. Slight popping on decel. Might have to play with my PM screws to get it perfect. I know Hard Krome recommends the dynojet kit. I didn't use it because I heard mixed reviews on their jets. - Qball
http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/Other-Stuff/CycleForay/1100jetting.pdf

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
QBall, do you have your AIS removed or disconnected? Some of this popping could be caused by the injection of air into your manifold or an exhaust leak along with a freer flowing open exhaust. I wouldn't recommend going much past 3 turns out, as they might not stay in. If not you can remove the line on your aft intake manifold cap the manifold tube and run it to see if it helps with the popping.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AIS Removal

Fulltilt1, going to adust the PMS to see if that helps, but I think you might be right about the AIS removal. I still have mine hooked up and removing that is going to be my next project. Runs great at idle, good response at full throttle and the plugs look good. My only problem is the popping at decel. Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Sweet! We all like success stories!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Carb question

Allow me to share my experience with Dynajet. I bought a 2005 1100 Classic from the original owner (personal friend) who had a Harley Davidson/Kawasaki/Yamaha dealer (where it was purchased) install full 2 into 2 Cobras and a K&N filter and the dealer installed Dynajet mains...110 front, 108 rear...which, according to the conversion charts, are leaner than the stock Mikuni jets were. The Dynajet needle is .070" at the tip, the original Yamaha needle is .0625" at the tip, with similar differences a half centimeter from the tips and at a full centimeter from the tips...so if anyone can say their Dynajet kit is richer than stock is, they got a different kit than this bike got.

I am now running Mikuni jets: 115 front, 112.5 rear, stock needles with an additional .020" spacer and the pilots are 3 turns out. As for not turning pilots further than 3 turns....there are plenty of threads above my pilots, and the rules is they can be turned out 4-1/2 turns and then it is time to go up one pilot jet size.

My bike went from a dangerous, hesitating, balky, forever to warm up, stalling PITA to very smooth performance.

As for fuel mileage...I rode the bike home from the original owner...a distance of 102 miles...averaging about 70-75 mph on the turnpike and about 45 mph on the side roads and figured I'd gotten 38.6 mpg for that trip. So I have somewhat of a base to compare when I make the trip again with the new set-up.

Oh, I also removed the AIS.

I am hoping I can turn in the pilots a bit, back towards 2 to 2-1/2 turns. Many think the pilot does not affect mid-to high throttle mileage...but if you look at that Mikuni BSR37 illustration, you'll see the pilot influence extends into WFO.

I think unless you have moved into cams there isn't much advantage to removing the stock needles for something else.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I wasn't so much worried about the threads just the tension anti-rotation feature gets real weak and the possibility of the screw backing out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts