Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I've finally finished my front and rear carbon fiber fender set and am very happy with the results. Added bonus to having the molds around was that I made Copies available for sale through ebay. The set will include all needed hardware. Please take a look and anyone interested please contact me.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
175 Posts
That is Bad A$$. I wish I had a place for fenders on my ride..........ever think of making a bat-wing out of CF?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Great looking fenders. Been trying to figure out what I want to do as far as aftermarket front/rear fender, and this definitely ranks high in my list now. Looked up your Ebay listing and they're pretty sick.

Great work though really, I've never seen this done on a v-star.

I know you're looking to make some $$$ off of this, but some sort of write-up would be appreciated. :) Curious as to what you used for your mold.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how i made them

i wanted to make carbon fiber fenders because i didn't like the plastic factory ones. I started out with making a front fender for my 06 midnight custom. I used the factory front fender for fitment reference and wanted my fenders to line up and bolt to the factory mounting points. The front fender was riveted to a steel support bracket which I removed from the bike. i then drilled out the rivets to separate the fender from the bracket which will be reused to mount the new carbon fiber fender.
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
continued

i used the front fender and using body filler extended the sides and created a flange surface. When i was happy with the shape the plug is done and used to make the mold for the carbon.
[/URL][/IMG]
prepping the plug with mold release before several layers of fiberglass and resin are applied followed by a gel coat.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
I apologize if I miss some pictures in between descriptions as I didn't take too many pictures during the mold making or carbon laying process since my hands are usually covered in resin.
Once the mold was ready and carefully removed from the plug I clean and prep the mold for the actual carbon fiber laying process. 2x2 twill weave carbon and fiberglass are layers with high quality epoxy resin under vacuum.
[/URL][/IMG]
Once ready the surface is sanded smooth for more layers of clear epoxy resin followed by more sanding with finer and finer sandpaper before high quality automotive clear coat and rubber undercoating for added protection. Similar process was done for the rear fender I just don't have any pictures of the rear fender making or laying process.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]
Hope everyone likes them and hope to sell a few to fund making new carbon fiber products for our bikes.

·
Registered
794 Posts
They are GORGEOUS!!! Unfortunately, I have a classic... :( Oh well, future paint job still in the works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts