Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was told that the model with carbs. runs better and the throttle responds faster. Also was told that the exhaust sounds better and you can run your custom exhaust without baffles with the carbs.EFI must use baffles? What was the first year they used EFI on?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Bunk

JaBo,

Not expert by any means. But, I would say none of that is true. I believe the throttle plate is actually advanced by vacume on V Star carbs. Ramped electronicly on an injected bike. If you make big changes in exhaust you will neet to either rejet carbs or add a fuel controller for either.

A good exhaust is designed for the bike it fits and will sound good regargless. Newer injected bikes often have a cataleptic converter in the front end but after market does not in either case. Some of the new factory exhaust don't sound bad. Not as loud but good.

Origionaly you could do more for your carburetor but today after market fuel controllers are available that work well.

Its mostly what you want or are looking at. I believe they actually get a little more power out of a stock bike now with injection, but, was mostly for EPA. Example the V Star 950 has almost power as an 1100.

Dave

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1700 purchase

I am asking cause I am looking to make a purchase here. I can get a 07 Silverado carb. model for at least a thousand less than a EFI model. Here is one im looking at. I might hold off till December when the prices really drop cause my first choice is the Midnight Silverado. So do you think there is really no advantage to the EFI model compaired to the money I can save?
What do you think bout the price on this?http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/2469834852.html

All it needs is some ISO grips. This is a nice looking machine none the less.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
You be the judge

Jabo,

You will no doubt be happy with either. I do believe they get a little more power from FI. You can stick a fuel module on it and see a change. but that bike is not stock.

The Cobra pipes are probably $500. With 2,000 miles that is just broken in. You might ask if anything like a fuel module was installed. The bike may be running lean with an exhaust change if not. I don't believe you could tell the difference in response on the quicker thing. If it has a fuel module added that will offset any difference. But, I also believe the injected model will have a little more power.

The Lindby crash bars are maybe $300.

You may want a sissy bar and passenger back rest to keep from dumping the wife off the back. Those Roadstars have lots of torque.

I was looking last fall and winter, did not see any bargains. People still wanted the same. If it is the bike you want I would go for it if the price is right. Look at kelly blue book dot come. Dealers get a little more, but private sellers have no warrenty.

Dave

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Efi is the way to go carbs are antiquated.Much better fuel control with efi with all the controllers out there. Pretty much a plug and play.Carbs plug up easy when they have sat around alot.It's 2011 efi is in. Just my 2 cents.

·
Super Moderator
13,073 Posts
Efi is the way to go carbs are antiquated.Much better fuel control with efi with all the controllers out there. Pretty much a plug and play.Carbs plug up easy when they have sat around alot.It's 2011 efi is in. Just my 2 cents.
agreed. it's like the difference between analog and digital. nothing wrong with a carb model, but EFI is today's technology and carbs are for yesteryear.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I agree that they are old school but that was the appeal when I bought my "09 1100 Classic. No computers, no plug and play, not even a fuel gauge or warning light. Very retro and hands on with regards to mods. It is harder to maintain but that's the appeal of it. I thoroughly enjoy tearing it down and cleaning it up every winter.
To each their own.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do like that Roadstar, and I am fine with the price. But I would kick myself if I found a Midnight Silverado for the same price or lower this winter.And I would also kick myself for not getting this one if a Midnight did not come around.
I have been looking at Craigs List and local listings every day for over 2 years and the prices around the Houston area drop big time in December. Houston is a buyers market for motors at that time. Man oh man, what to do ????

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I'm with you on one thing Jabo, i like to tinker with carbs and other fun things. I'm also looking at something with EFI for long road trips so i don't have to worry about mechanical breakdown thousands of miles from home. I did have one instance were my float stuck open due to dirty gas (i believe). Came out of the store she was pissin' gas in the parking lot (shoulda shut the petcock off huh?).

·
Registered
47 Posts
1 more time

Sorry Gentleman,
I prefer my nasty old carb. Trying to be polite here as I have took some licks for my postings. Seems as my 2 favorite posters; Bevo, and HDeater are against me most of the time.
I have the cobra jet kit for mine. Sounds good runs good. Sometimes trying to tune ur bike for the right sound is by preference.
Thanx for the tip HDeater about the oil. I discussed your comment with another star owner. He is the Grandson of a local oil man. He agreed about the EC. I tried said oil same as yours and it did not do well. Oh well, I digress...

mike

·
Super Moderator
13,073 Posts
I have took some licks for my postings. Seems as my 2 favorite posters; Bevo, and HDeater are against me most of the time.
I have the cobra jet kit for mine. Sounds good runs good. Sometimes trying to tune ur bike for the right sound is by preference.
Thanx for the tip HDeater about the oil. I discussed your comment with another star owner. He is the Grandson of a local oil man. He agreed about the EC. I tried said oil same as yours and it did not do well. Oh well, I digress...

mike
this is the first post of yours that i have ever responded to. i checked. so not sure what you're referring to with taking any licks. if you're a carb man, then that is fine. i think we're all saying on this thread is that it is a matter of personal preference. you can always send a private message to a specific member.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I was told that the model with carbs. runs better and the throttle responds faster. Also was told that the exhaust sounds better and you can run your custom exhaust without baffles with the carbs.EFI must use baffles? What was the first year they used EFI on?
Thanks
I hope this helps, that is all my intention.
Everything you were told above is completely false (well I can not comment on the "sounds better").

If anything, its all backwards. F/I is more dependable, bike will run better, throttle respond faster and will adjust fuel delivery better if you modify the exhaust in anyway. F/I will run cleaner, adjust for the temperature better (no choke) and give you better gas mileage with more horse power simply because the engine is burning fuel better.

Carbs are a thing of the past, they are gone from todays modern automobiles, almost gone from boats and will be gone from bikes in the coming years.

With all the above said, does this mean Carbs are no good? No, not at all, in fact the carbs in bikes are very good and if you know what you are doing you can have a lot of fun tweaking them.

F/I offers so many advantages that Carbs will be a thing of the past, just the same it became a thing of the past in cars. Look at it as computer controlled engine management vs. mechanical.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Well said alarmguy. Good evening to
All the ladies and gentlemen on the board
This eve.

Ride hard, ride free.
Thanks Sandman, I truly was trying to paint a balanced picture.
You know, MANY years ago, one of the best running cars I ever owned was a 1978 (or so) Honda Accord. One of the very first production Accords. People used to stop me in parking lots, ask how I liked it etc.
Anyway, point is, it was one of the best, most reliable, fantastic running engines I ever owned and it was carburetored.
Simple, clean and done right it cant be beat, simply cause you do not have an electronics mess to figure out when something goes wrong.

With that said, an electronic engine done right will offer those same advantages and more but we all know, things are not always done right. Electronics normally work or they dont and you have nothing in-between. But in todays age with the EPA and everyone else cracking down on every aspect of our lives the carb will be yesterdays news, not because it cant do as good but maybe more said, cheaper to do for the bike maker and have it reliable enough to pass emissions... As you know I am ALL for F/I. Even though I do most my own work on bikes and cars, at this point in my life and this new economy I am working harder and in my free time want to play more on the bike, then spend time playing with the the bike.

The problem is this ... darn government regulations. We are the ones who elect these people in Washington but they are taking over your lives. EPA was formed to clean up the waterways and land pollution left over from the cold war and world war. Then they get into auto emissions, plant emissions but it just never stops. Now that they have done their job, they are bigger then ever and the taxpayer pays more then ever, so they need to keep growing to justify that expense and we are now down to regulating the emissions of boats, motorcycles and LAWN MOWERS.

This is just one example of the MANY government agencies controlling your lives, your body's (helmet laws) etc.
People need to wake up, stop electing people to office to spend YOUR tax dollars protecting you from yourself. They have grown to much, to the point they need to borrow $50 for every $100 they spend just to keep paying their salaries. We need to scale things back 50%. Get back to basics.

Am I for protecting the environment? You bet cha! But do I think lawn mowers, boats and motorcycles need to be regulated into a mass of electronic over priced machines for our own protection? NO.

It scares me sometimes, I see my own motorcycle magazines that I get delivered to my door. The writers seem to be out of touch with the average consumer. They are now writing about ABS brakes and all the gee wiz electronics. Good god, one day our bikes will be as sterile as all the cars showing up in dealerships and priced way to high too.

I am FOR F/I. No question about it. But, when is going to stop?
What is going to be forced on the industry next? ABS? AIR BAGS?
If unchecked, your government will have your motorcycle BLOATED just as they are with their budget. They just do not know where to stop. Motorcycles will turn into overweight, over grown machines.
With that said, I have no problem if someone wants to buy a machine like that but once available you can bet, the rest of us might get forced into it as well by our elected officials who think they are doing something good.

Hmmm ... todays thoughts, just rambling ... things to think about and also reasons to get our overblown government to downsize just liek the private sector has had to do. because unchecked government spending will spend their way into every aspect of your life. We are a free people and when you allow government to restrict those choices it never ends good.

For goodness sakes! We are paying government to create regulations to protect us from ourselves! On top of that, we are directing them to borrow the money from China WITH interest because they are out of money.

Also why I am against helmet laws.
Why does government have the right to tell someone what to do with their own body? I wear a helmet but in my state, it is my choice. Funny, but of the 40,000 people a year who die in auto accidents, you would guess 10,000 or them or so are from head injuries. So why then do not car drivers have to wear helmets, which would save maybe 10,000 lives a year? Its simple, to much opposition bikers are an easy target, not enough vote, protest or even understand freedom of choice.

So ends todays sermon! *L*

·
Registered
33 Posts
Personally I like the EFI. Just simpler. Hit the button and go. And if you make trips with elevation changes the EFI can compensate but carbs cannot. But $1000 is a lot of accessories so it is really a preference thing. You can't go wrong with carbs but FI is easier.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Can i bounce back and forth on this issue? I am kinda torn (emotionally, but that's a story for anothe time:D). I see how EFI is suppose to be more accurate/reliable/maintenance free yadda yadda yadda...& that's why my next bike is going to be EFI.

However, waaay back in my brain is a little voice:eek: that reminds me if these solid state electronics fail on a road trip i'm screwed. If my carb has a problem on the road i can usually getting it going again.

Maybe some of us are a little more reluctant to give up our old ways. I'm willing to try if i can still have my cake and eat it too.:)

·
Registered
845 Posts
Can i bounce back and forth on this issue? I am kinda torn (emotionally, but that's a story for anothe time:D). I see how EFI is suppose to be more accurate/reliable/maintenance free yadda yadda yadda...& that's why my next bike is going to be EFI.

However, waaay back in my brain is a little voice:eek: that reminds me if these solid state electronics fail on a road trip i'm screwed. If my carb has a problem on the road i can usually getting it going again.

Maybe some of us are a little more reluctant to give up our old ways. I'm willing to try if i can still have my cake and eat it too.:)
Excellent point ... I agree with you on that. Boy, something goes wrong with electronics on the road and your screwed. hmmm ... kind of why I am against making bikes to complicated in certain ways.
Very true without electronics you can normally find a work around in times of desperation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts