Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,619 Posts
you dug up a 9 year old thread

Im laughing at all the posts saying that 'soon' fuel injection will render carbs obsolete

there are a few real advantages of fuel injection, most notable: being able to ride up Pikes Peak 15,000 feet and the engine tunes itself for the changes in air density

but other than that: the fuel injection systems on most motorcycles are simple, and they are NOT closed loop like a car, so on a bike they do not compensate for a dirty air filter, they do not adjust the mixture long term based on the O2 sensor rich/lean readings, they do not adapt if you change the exhaust or intake pods - they are mapped like carbs.

The bottom line for me is: A motorbike should be as simple as possible - and that means carbs.

A carb only has a few moving parts and no active electronic components. There is nothing that can happen to a carb on a road trip to render the bike un-ride-able. If you put bad gas in your bike it will plug injectors just as fast as it will plug the jets in your carb, but you cannot take injectors apart and clean them.

Also, there are hundreds of active components in a fuel injection system, and several required sensors - and if ONE of them fails your bike will not run, and the only way to find that failed part very often is to start replacing modules and sensors one by one until the bike starts up again.

The claimed death of the carb'd motorcycle is very much pre-mature.

BTW, both of my Vstar bikes are stock - I love them the way the skilled engineers designed them, and have no need or intention to change that.

EDIT: if you stabilize your gas before parking the bike for long term storage (more than a few months) you should not have any clogging or fuel issues with either a carb'd or injected bike. And if you dont stabilize the bike e10 gas will turn into jello, and keep both from running.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was told that the model with carbs. runs better and the throttle responds faster. Also was told that the exhaust sounds better and you can run your custom exhaust without baffles with the carbs.EFI must use baffles? What was the first year they used EFI on?
Thanks
I have ridden both. I got a 1999, carbs, big jet kit and big air. Got the V&H pipes. Yep!!! I like mine!!! Had to put heavier spring plate on the clutch to handle the torque. loads of torque and fast for a cruiser.

·
Registered
416 Posts
For me I’ve fixed both and still own both I would rather have carbs on my bike for the most part easy to fix if it does need it. My experience with fuel injectors is more expensive parts usually not as smooth unless you have a tuner or a modified Ecu. But that said the injected bike always starts better.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts