Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 v-star 1100, that will soon be in my name. I should mention that the bike has been sitting for several years, while I am taking care of most of the problems I've run across this far there are a couple of issues that elude me. The first being the gas cap isn't opening the key fits and rotates but nothing happens, I am concerned that the time it has been sitting has caused the mechanism to rust out enough to not function. Is there any way I can disassemble it enough to remove it or can I just brake it apart and find a new one?
The other issue I have found in my process of cleaning is the butterflies were locked up I have freed them enough that they move fully but they don't return without help, I'm not wanting to disassemble the full thing so I don't have to resync. What are my options?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,474 Posts
Right after I bought my 1100 I lost my only key. Yes I know it was dumb not having a spare. To remove my gas cap I took a large flat blade screw driver and hammered into gas cap lock and used vice grips on screw driver to break lock. It actually broke very easily. If you go this route you will have access to the inside of the two slides that lock the gas cap. You could then use penetration oil to combat the rust. I would try penetration oil in the key hole and tap with rubber mallet to work oil into locking mechanism for a few days before I broke the lock. Sounds like you have corrosion on the Carb sides causing the slides not to move freely. Be careful with slides, they break easily. Your best bet would be to disassemble and clean. Syncing carbs is easy and you can bench sync and get really close. Follow link: https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home/maintenance-repairs/carburetor

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The slides were near fine took a little cleaning to free up, it's the linkage in the middle that's sticking and I don't have the pins to replace if I took them apart. I will try the hammer trick tomorrow though, thank you

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,474 Posts
Your bike didn't get in it's present shape overnight, don't get frustrated. The end result will be worth it. Patience with the penetration oil. Another trick that has worked for me is heat. A hairdryer on high makes enough heat to assist penetration oil getting into tight spaces. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So my bowl orings came in and I am working on the carbs I figured out that the right side carb works freely but the large pin (center of the image) that holds the sync points is what hangs up, I can seam to get it off to clean it but I am likely not trying properly. How would I go about cleaning this?

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it out, cleaned up, and back on so now I'm rebuilding everything the lower airbox is a pain but I'll get it soon. Still haven't tried the gas cap yet.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So everything is back together except everything that needs to wait for the gas tank. But question, does the speedometer's connector need to be connected for the bike to crank or do I need to be concerned about the other issues like a bad solenoid or starter?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update time. I walked out to the tank today with some of my largest tools fully prepared to mangle the cap, on my way I had the thought of the used oil and some nearly empty bar oil we had in the shed and figured I would give one last attempt at the gentle method. The bar oil didn't even have the full opportunity to get worked in when I tried and it popped right off like it hasn't been sitting at all.
I have it sitting in a jar of vinegar and in a few hours I will disassemble clean thoroughly and possibly get some graphite spray, and Loctite.

·
Registered
200 Posts
excellent. See? All it takes is some patience. One step at a time.

"But question, does the speedometer's connector need to be connected for the bike to crank or do I need to be concerned about the other issues like a bad solenoid or starter?"

Is it not cranking or are you just asking before you try? I don't actually know the answer, but if it was me, a if it wasn't cranking, then I'd connect it and go from there. Then you'll know. :)

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
The bike should always crank if the transmission is in neutral

If you have the bike in gear and the kickstand is down, it wont crank, and it wont run (will quit if you kick it into gear while running with the kickstand down.

this gets a lot of new Vstar owners

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes Canadian mohawk I was trying to start the bike, and that was the only thing not connected, but, as kcw just reminded me, I was forgetting a few of the conditions required for the starting circuit. This bike actually has two :
In order for the ignition circuit cut-off
system to enable starting, one of the
following conditions must be met:
● The transmission is in the neutral
position.
● The transmission is in gear with
the clutch lever pulled and the sid-
estand up.
Thank you for reminding me. Also to further my update. The gas cap is back together and operating smoothly also the poor 15 I ordered has come in so I will finish cleaning up the tank then seal it and finish putting everything together, the end is in sight and I pray that no more major problems show up.
At least I will be able to ride in the yard while we wait on the paper work.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
At least I will be able to ride in the yard while we wait on the paper work.
:^O

dont ride a street bike on the lawn... it never ends well

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
True but I mostly mean our dirt and gravel roads so I'm not riding illegaly as long as I keep it smart and slow it'll be fine... Ya something will probably happen. It's either that or try and fix my brother's moped but I'm trying to get him to take it to a proper shop so he has no excuse left.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It seems that I now must figure out why the bike isn't trying to start. It has power, new battery, all the lights and even the fuel pump works, but I press the button and nothing, no click. I haven't tried to short to the starter yet mostly because I'm worried the if I start doing that I won't stop until forced to (happened with an ATV and I started it like that until the gas leak caught).
Does anyone know what is likely to go bad on a bike that has been sitting this long?

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
do the lights dim, can you see the headlight or tail light while you press the starter button?

If the lights do not dim then power is not getting to the starter at all, could be no connection to the starter relay

If the the lights dim while you hold the starter button then either the starter is seized (not likely) or you have corroded connections, beginning from the battery terminal, to the battery ground wire going to the frame...

a corroded connection will let enough current thru for a light, but it has to be a really solid clean connection to let the 50A the starter needs thru without dropping all the voltage across itself.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
BTW, I checked my gas cap after riding my 650 home from work. You do not have to twist the gas cap to take it off. Turn the key and the cap pulls straight off. Its a good thing you did not take a pipe wrench to your gas cap, you would have destroyed your tank (for people reading this thread in the future.

I also verified that once the gas cap is off the bike you can pull the key out of it, but you must put the key back in and twist it to put the cap back on the bike.

I always leave the key in the cap and put it on the gas pump when I fill my bike, so I really dont see how anyone could fill their bike, pull the key out of the cap, put it in the ignition, and then ride off with no cap on the gas tank, losing their gas cap.

Well.. I can understand a few ways, falling down drunk for one....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just tested and no the lights don't dim at all, I am hearing switch connect or disconnect when I pull/release the clutch but it's in neutral and shouldn't make a difference, the simplest thing I'm hoping is that the censor that tells the ignition relay what gear it's in is run through the gage cluster but that is unlikely and I would think it would be bypassed by the clutch.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The plan with the cap was to try to brake the ears that hook the lip but those don't have slots and it would have made so much work for me.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
if you had the speedo plugged in you could see if the neutral light is on or not

maybe it does daisy chain thru the speedo - its worth a try. the simplest thing sometimes is the answer
at least if you see the neutral position light come on you will know the neutral switch is working...

if the kickstand switch is telling the bike the kickstand is down, then the bike must be in neutral to start.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts