Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am discovering new things about my bike, some good some bad.

I just noticed tonight that the connecting flange from the carburetor to the head is broken. It's plastic and cracked in several places. I'm not sure what the part is or where I should go to buy them. I have a 650 classic.

Is J&P Cycles a good place to purchase parts or should I be looking somewhere else?

I apologize if I am posting wrong and if so please feel free to impart some knowledge on me. I am new at everything these days.

[So..the parts that are cracked are called the intake manifold tubes.]

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank for the link. The intake manifold tube pulses at the cracks while the bike is running. I looked up the part on google images and also found replacements on J&P that show there is no inner liner just composite plastic throughout. Luckily they're cheap parts.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Welcome to the forum from here in Northwest Illinois. Happy to have you join us and look forward to reading your posts. Great bunch of people here with knowledge and patience to help everyone with their rides. Post often and ride safe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This has happened to me twice now.

I replaced them the first time and now I'm running with the cracked rubbers.

I read somewhere either on this forum or another that it's completely normal to get external cracking on these rubbers and that they very rarely crack all the way through.

I haven't noticed any problems with my bike since I replaced them and the cracks appearing so the best advice I can give you is to not worry about it.

If you're losing sleep over it though, go replace them, stick some permatex on the new rubbers just before you fit them to the head and put some loctite green on the bolts to hold them in properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cracked rubbers

Thank you stokoe0990. I have heard this several times now. But it finally got the better of me and I tore down the top of my bike the other day. You're right the outer rubber is cracked but the middle and inner liners are fine. I replaced them anyways because I already had the parts. Now it's time to take off more parts and dig into the clutch pack. Been slipping for a while now and just found out how cheap the clutch plates are.

I appreciate your experienced input on this matter and I will most likely not replace them if they crack again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts