Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, the aftermarket horn I put on my 1300CT quit working. I tested out the horn-works. Next was to check the relay...turned out the terminal that goes directly to the horn was corroded, so I replaced the relay. Then, I found that the in-line fuse had blown (for some reason, probably because it was what was on hand, it was 1/2 the amperage of the bike system). After replacing the fuse with a 10 A, I tried the horn again (I would start the engine and then push the horn button after each step I took.) When I STILL couldn't get the perfectly good horn to work, and checked the continuity of the wires between the horn and the relay, with zero success, I stupidly took the left-hand handlebar switch off to check for corrosion. In doing this, i unscrewed the horn/turn signal switch out of the housing. Putting it back was fairly easy, but, when I started the engine, I didn't have a high beam indicator. Then I foolishly removed the high/low beam switch to facilitate a better re-installation of the horn/turn signal switch. This is where Murphy bit me...I fumbled the headlight switch, and parts went everywhere! Eventually, I found everything, but when I tried to start the bike, no headlight, no turn signals, no gauge sweep, and after just ONE crank on the engine, no electricity at all. I have checked all the fuses, including the main fuse, for continuity and all seem fine. With the heat and humidity, I'm just stumped and afraid of doing any more damage to the bike. AND IT ALL JUST STARTED WITH A NON-WORKING HORN!!!!!! Does any electrically -minded member have any advice as to where I should start looking for a solution to this total lack of electric power?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Recently, the aftermarket horn I put on my 1300CT quit working. I tested out the horn-works. Next was to check the relay...turned out the terminal that goes directly to the horn was corroded, so I replaced the relay. Then, I found that the in-line fuse had blown (for some reason, probably because it was what was on hand, it was 1/2 the amperage of the bike system). After replacing the fuse with a 10 A, I tried the horn again (I would start the engine and then push the horn button after each step I took.) When I STILL couldn't get the perfectly good horn to work, and checked the continuity of the wires between the horn and the relay, with zero success, I stupidly took the left-hand handlebar switch off to check for corrosion. In doing this, i unscrewed the horn/turn signal switch out of the housing. Putting it back was fairly easy, but, when I started the engine, I didn't have a high beam indicator. Then I foolishly removed the high/low beam switch to facilitate a better re-installation of the horn/turn signal switch. This is where Murphy bit me...I fumbled the headlight switch, and parts went everywhere! Eventually, I found everything, but when I tried to start the bike, no headlight, no turn signals, no gauge sweep, and after just ONE crank on the engine, no electricity at all. I have checked all the fuses, including the main fuse, for continuity and all seem fine. With the heat and humidity, I'm just stumped and afraid of doing any more damage to the bike. AND IT ALL JUST STARTED WITH A NON-WORKING HORN!!!!!! Does any electrically -minded member have any advice as to where I should start looking for a solution to this total lack of electric power?
And before anyone asks, YES I did check the 'KILL' switch...it didn't make a bit of difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts