Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Center stands were nice on a 350 but I am not sure I could put 800 lbs Strat up on it.
I wondered about the weight of the bike being an issue. Plus being a bit more top heavy. If you rocked it and didn't get it all the way up and it came back down....I'm not sure I'd have enough lead in my azz to keep it from going over taking me with it..... :eek:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wondered about the weight of the bike being an issue. Plus being a bit more top heavy. If you rocked it and didn't get it all the way up and it came back down....I'm not sure I'd have enough lead in my azz to keep it from going over taking me with it..... :eek:
If you look under the 2018+ Sar Eluder or a Star Venture you can see where the stand is suppose to mount. You'd think they would at least have the option of purchasing one. I had a center stand on my 2005 Goldwing which is not much lighter than my Eluder. Took some effort but I could get it on the center stand by myself.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If you look under the 2018+ Sar Eluder or a Star Venture you can see where the stand is suppose to mount. You'd think they would at least have the option of purchasing one. I had a center stand on my 2005 Goldwing which is not much lighter than my Eluder. Took some effort but I could get it on the center stand by myself.
How long was the bar you stepped on? Would think it would take some length to get the leverage. Not sure if manufacturers don't put them on because of liability issues or what stopped them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How long was the bar you stepped on? Would think it would take some length to get the leverage. Not sure if manufacturers don't put them on because of liability issues or what stopped them.
Bar was roughly 6". Had to yank pretty hard rearward on the bike while stepping on the bar.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Then can make the center auto Straight down instead of a flip. I think the BMW has or had a auto center stand. I think at one time the Wing had an auto center stand. Anyway auto would be nice.
I think this is a liability now and manufactures just won’t take that risk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Then can make the center auto Straight down instead of a flip. I think the BMW has or had a auto center stand. I think at one time the Wing had an auto center stand. Anyway auto would be nice.
I think this is a liability now and manufactures just won’t take that risk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Worse case scenario I will design a removable center stand. I will never need it on the road (unless I have a flat far from home [Then I'll be screwed]).
Another accessory that I wanted was a sissy bar. I spent over $400 for that just to find I could not install it unless I was willing to spend another $95 for a hardware kit. I returned it and designed my own. The only thing I purchased was the back pad for $100 [wanted the upholstery to match the seat] !!!! I'm a mechanical engineer with full access to 3D modeling software. I also have access to our fab department with CNC laser cutters and CNC sheet metal benders.
Therefore I spent $100 for my sissy bar (Detailed drawings and bill of materials are available for $20).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Worse case scenario I will design a removable center stand. I will never need it on the road (unless I have a flat far from home [Then I'll be screwed]).
Another accessory that I wanted was a sissy bar. I spent over $400 for that just to find I could not install it unless I was willing to spend another $95 for a hardware kit. I returned it and designed my own. The only thing I purchased was the back pad for $100 [wanted the upholstery to match the seat] !!!! I'm a mechanical engineer with full access to 3D modeling software. I also have access to our fab department with CNC laser cutters and CNC sheet metal benders.
Therefore I spent $100 for my sissy bar (Detailed drawings and bill of materials are available for $20). View attachment 108333 View attachment 108334
FYI, After rounding all the edged with a dynafile, I powder coated what you see with
BLACK JACK
(Item: USS-1522).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Center stands are great, a lot of people misunderstand how to set the bike up on it. For the four bikes I own that have center stands, including a GL1800 full size wing, you simply stand on the foot (with all your weight on one foot) while holding the left handle bar and rear seat handle. So a center stand would be great on the venture or eluder. I’m disappointed that it was omitted.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I thought I had saved a link to a center stand for a Harley Touring platform, but I couldn't find it. It wasn't designed to lift the bike up but instead used in place of the kickstand. When deployed, the bike would stand straight up and the stand would automatically retract when you rode off. If you do a search you might be able to find it. I don't know if they made one for other models or not.

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
198 Posts
Every rally I've been to I've seen one or two booths set up installing center stands on all manner of Harley touring bikes. If I ever get up the cojones to go to a rally again I'll have to ask if they can fit up a Venture. Not sure when that will be, unfortunately.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts