Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got new tires for my bike and the gut tells me I should change my brake fluid. I have done this a few times in my life but I am stuck here. Did the left side the old fashioned way of pumping brake up, holding, cracking zirt, closing, repeat. No issues. Left side..... Got some fluid then nothing. Went and bought a vacuum pump for bleeding and I can't get fluid down to save my life! Trying gravity bleed for two days now. Fear I have a clog or something and Laughlin is next week!!!! Any experts with advice????

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Does the left side caliper seem to be working? I'm not sure how to tell unless you take the caliper off the rotor and see if the pads move. (Edit: after reading this again its a dumb question - if you cant bleed fluid thru the brake caliper cannot possibly be doing anything).

Sometimes brake hoses fail on the inside and collapse and act like a check valve. I have seen this on cars where the pressure goes into the caliper, but the hose blocks the fluid from coming back out, and the brake drags and cooks the rotor. Replaced the hose to the wheel and it fixed the dragging caliper.

I guess it could happen the other way, the hose could collapse and keep the fluid from going down to bleed out. Maybe your left caliper has not been working for a while, it would be a hard thing to notice.

I have to assume you kept the reservoir full. Getting air in the master cylinder can be a nightmare.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Leroy, just to be clear you were able to bleed the left front caliper with no issues, and you are getting no fluid from the right front caliper?

your post says 'left' a couple times but never mentions right or rear...

the only other thing I can think of is to check where the left and right brake hoses tee off from the hose that goes up to the brake cylinder on the handle bar. Make sure one of the hose fittings has not gotten twisted off from where it should be, blocking the fluid passage opening.

BTW Ive never had any luck with those hand - vacuum pumps. They always seem to suck air through the threads on the bleeder valve.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Did you keep the reservoir topped up when you were bleeding.?? Could be an air pocket locking the master or you have a master cyl that went bad.. We don't have abs or anything like that on the 1300.

Did you try pulling the bleeder screw out all the way .. could be dirt in it blocking the hole. You don't have the speed bleeder screws do you ?? they only work when you press the brake lever after they are loosened off.

The other thing to try is reverse bleeding using a syringe to put it backwards from the caliper to the reservoir.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right side front bled ok. Lost all front when trying to bleed the left side. Have not touched the rear! Haha. Gotta have 1 brake working!

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
that sounds like the master cylinder is sucking air / ran dry.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
or maybe the bleeder valve is not sealing on the left side. You opened it and some fluid came out, and now its just pushing air out and sucking it back in, as if it was left open?

If that is what is happening, if you take the bleeder valve out and put your finger over its hole in the caliper, and pump the brake lever, it should pump fluid down and your finger should keep it from sucking air back in.

Get lots of rags first and don't let the brake fluid get all over your rotor, wheel or tires.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
another thing to check - could be a bad thing - make sure you got the right DOT brake fluid for your bike.

Different numbers are not compatible - some will ruin the seals in the cylinder or caliper if they are not compatible.

DOT 3 and 4 can be mixed and are compatible, and that should be what your bike uses. If you got something else it could cause problems. When I flushed the front brakes on my 650 last time, I sucked all the old fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster, then filled it with DOT 4, and bleed it down through till it came out clear from the caliper. I think it had DOT 3 originally - 4 is a backwards compatible synthetic brake fluid.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you using master cylinder and resivour interchangeably or are they two different components? The resivour was kept full but I'm pretty positive I do have air in the system.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
the master cylinder is in the bottom of the hand brake lever assembly, under the reservoir.

I know on some cars if you run out of fluid and pump air into the master cylinder you have to take it apart and fill it on the bench and put it back in the car. I don't know if that is also true for our bikes or how to resolve it if that happens.

If you kept the reservoir from running dry I don't see how air could have gotten into the master cylinder, because its right there under it.

were you having any issues with the brakes before you decided to flush the with new fluid?

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
I'm in the EST time zone and have to drop out and get some sleep. Will check in tomorrow to see how this is going.

·
Registered
245 Posts
This might seem like an odd question but are you bleeding the brakes with the reservoir cap bolted down ??
If so... you can suck the fluid out and pull the gasket down . This will keep the fluid level looking full since the gasket fills in for what fluid is gone.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Had the resivour cap off. Have a friend coming over today. I think the dadgum vacuum pump sucked all the fluid from the master. No fluid going down from resivour. Will let you all know what we discover. Thanks for all the tips!!!

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
The only thing I find the brake fluid hand pump is good for is sucking the fluid out of the reservoir so you can refill it with new stuff.

The little cup that comes with it that has the Gozinta and Gozouta hoses is handy to catch the fluid coming out of the bleeder valve, when you use the two man pump-the-brake, open the bleeder, OK method.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Possible Dumb Question ... I'v bleed brakes on many cars. Never did it on a bike. So here is my question ....

As long as the reservoir stays properly filled ... Does the bike have to be perfectly vertical to bleed the brakes? Or can it be done just on the kickstand?

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
on my 650 with the bike on the kickstand and the handle bars all the way to the left, the top of reservoir is perfectly level.

considering how the brake lines on a car going through all kinds of bends and loops and goosenecks, I cant see any reason to try to make the MC stand up straight while bleeding the brakes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok,haha. First let me add some details I should have started with. Jackie is a 2009 Roadliner S. There are two resivours on the handle bars. I ASSUMED that left resivour, left caliper etc. Noooooo. Right resivour controls both front brakes so, wanting to have the resivour level after doing the right side successfully, I closed it up and opened the left and subsequently sucked all the fluid from the right. Once I traced the lines, which come very close to each other, hence the assumption, I understood what happened and it took me all of 5 minutes to fix. I'm back on the road baby! Thanks again to all for all the tips!

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
My 650 has a drum brake with a pull rod on the back wheel, that never would have crossed my mind!

Glad to hear the universe has not wacked out and it was a simple thing.

I pumped an entire quart thru a 1964 VW beetle many years ago, there was a leak somewhere so I kept filling it up, pumping the brake filling it up, pumping the brake, then I looked under the car to see where it was coming out.

It was not coming out anywhere - an entire QUART and not a drip, no spray, no mist... nothing!

I thought for sure I was losing my mind or having a vivid dream. I backed the car out of the garage, and looked forwards, and there was a line of brake fluid across the floor.

There was one spot on the car were the brake line goes thru the frame, and it had nice rubber grommets on both sides. It was broken inside the frame, which I had filled with a quart of fluid.

These vehicles are almost always simple to work on, so when something impossible seems to be happening, its always something simple that we missed.

Its not just you!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts