Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently changed my roadliner's spark plugs and air filter and it took more time and effort than I thought it would. My bike had 9500 miles on it so it was overdue according to the maintenance schedule. Removing the fuel tank and the tight squeeze between the frame and the cylinder heads makes the job interesting. However, after completing the job and taking a test ride, I noticed that the engine is not as "choppy" in its power delivery so I guess it was worth it. I also was able to clean some parts that I couldn't previously reach. If you guys try it, buy an 18 mm spark plug socket (weird size) and also a 1.5" (weird size) socket extension to get at that right front spark plug. Good luck. ride safe.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I got a long way to go before I get to changing spark plugs, but doesn't the tool kit under the seat include the spark plug wrench? I would hope I can use it to get to all 4 plugs.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I got a long way to go before I get to changing spark plugs, but doesn't the tool kit under the seat include the spark plug wrench? I would hope I can use it to get to all 4 plugs.
yes there is a wrench but mine is in the saddle bag, with the spring spanner wrench. the rest of the tools are under the seat.

I did mine on the R* at 16,000 when doing the drive chain oil change. And the plugs still looked new. I guess if you hit the rev limiter....lol... and keep the fuel system clean it helps.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ride a 2008 roadliner. Wow. I didn't check the toolkit that came with the bike...maybe it does contain the right tools for the job! I'll check when I get off work today.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Bowhunter How did you perform the "drive chain oil change"? Is that what the owner's manual calls the "transfer case oil change"? My owners manual says to do it at 16,000 miles but doesn't say how. I need to change my drive chain oil in another 6,000 miles but don't know how to do it.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
On the right side of the bike, hidden behind the exhaust, there are 3 openings provided for this.
Bottom one drains out the gear lube
Middle one is a fluid level check
Top (big) one is to fill it back up with gear lube

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi Bowhunter How did you perform the "drive chain oil change"? Is that what the owner's manual calls the "transfer case oil change"? My owners manual says to do it at 16,000 miles but doesn't say how. I need to change my drive chain oil in another 6,000 miles but don't know how to do it.
yes the transfer case, my brain doesn't always get the terms right.
the Raider site, had nicer pics, and since same bike engine should be mostly the same tricks to get bolts out.

http://www.mybikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3063

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
4 plugs...:confused:
Hey there Frog!
If my memory is correct you own a Roadliner, right?
Well, if you do, you have 4 plugs, 2 plugs in each cylinder. You can see two of them fairly easily from the left hand side of the bike, the other two are easier to see after you remove the gas tank.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
4 plugs...:confused:

They took a page from piston aircraft engines: two separate ignition systems. In aircraft engines, one magneto is timed slightly ahead of TDC, they other slightly behind TDC. The engine will run perfectly on either system, but will only achieve maximum rated rpm when both systems are working. When docking seaplanes, it's standard practice to flip the mag switch from "both" to either "R" or "L"; the rpm drop allows a speed reduction and enables an easier approach to the dock.

But I digress...:eek:

In aircraft, the dual ignition systems were mandated by regulation; why Yamaha elected dual ignition systems is a question for the pro's...:)

·
Registered
138 Posts
plugs

I thought you blokes were having a shot at me so just went out in the dark with torch and had a look...Bugger me there is 2 plugs per cly...:eek:

Wayne

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I thought you blokes were having a shot at me so just went out in the dark with torch and had a look...Bugger me there is 2 plugs per cly...:eek:

Wayne
Hi Frog, yup. how cool is that? 4 valves and 2 plugs per cylinder. The high tech engineering in combination with the retro spirit is one reason I like this bike so much. BTW, I lived in Adelaide from '88 through '90. I love OZ.

·
Registered
138 Posts
OZ

Gday Mate...Adelaide hasent changed much...I been going there for years and it just stays the same...Lovely riding country south of the city...This bike just keeps surprising me...Have as yet to take the plunge and actually ride across the Nullabor..Have always wanted to just havent had the chance as yet....

stratowart...ok....:D:D:D:D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Frog, Glad to hear Adelaide is the same as I remember it...a lovely "country town" as my Sidney friends would call it. A Nullarbor ride sounds awesome! I envy you. The closest I ever got to the Nullarbor was a road trip to Streaky Bay in a Holden Commodore. Amazing country. Perfect for 2 wheels and extra petrol tanks.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts