Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking to change the Gear Oil on the Strat I just bought. Service Manuel says to remove the exhaust and drain oil then refill. A genius must have designed that. My question is this. Has anyone simply drained the oil and then tried to fill it back in the same hole with a large syringe? Is there a reason why this should not be attempted before I remove the exhaust.
Also if I do have to remove the exhaust does the entire system need to be removed or does it come apart and just the pipes removed from the rear cylinder.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
good idea if it will work - I know most quick lube shops dont take the drain plug off cars, they suck the oil out through the dipstick tube.

If you can get a tube down into the bottom of the assembly it should work. Remember it is 80W hypoid, and tends to be thick.

Im not sure about the syringe, but some kind of sludge pump might work.

Another solution is to get two burly guys to hold the bike upside down... :^)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same feelings as the OP - Dumb design and DUMB service procedure in the manual.

This worked for me: a 1/4" ID hose (6"), RTV / silicone application nozzle cut-to-fit the hose and fit inside the check screw hole. Just squeeze it in until full, let the access fluid drain out - works like a champ and Cheap!

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the same feelings as the OP - Dumb design and DUMB service procedure in the manual.

This worked for me: a 1/4" ID hose (6"), RTV / silicone application nozzle cut-to-fit the hose and fit inside the check screw hole. Just squeeze it in until full, let the access fluid drain out - works like a champ and Cheap!

I was going to use a syringe but that i a great idea. Think I will give it a try. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts