Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
from yesterday's ride up north, her nickname is now;

'Stump Puller'. :)

I was on a two lane country road, heading to Willow Beach, on Lake Simcoe yesterday, late morning, and came upon one tractor trailer, and three cars. The lead car was being driven in a 50 mph section of road, like it was a farm tractor. The usual little ol' lady behind the wheel....

...well, when I had the chance due to an opening in the opposite flow of traffic, (and forgetting that I usually slip Charlotte into Sport Mode before any passing attempts...but forgot to...) I told my gorgeous, beautiful wife to hang on to the chops...turned on my left turn signal and buried the throttle rotation!

...well...I got a performance outta this V-Twin, like no tomorrow! WE MOVED OUT, man...we MOVED OUT, and passed those cars and tractor trailer, from a starting 42 mph, that when I finished my pass, was warping at 95 mph, until I put on the binders...(50 mph zone...!) and brought her down to 60 mph.

This bike, PULLED SOME STUMP out there...yesterday. We were loaded up...with the both of us aboard...and Charlotte 'pulled stump'!

For anybody that might ponder, if this 79 horsepower, 126 (at crank) foot pound of torque engine can move this bike with full out pack, and two 'healthy' riders aboard....well...buy one, and find out for yourself...LOLOLOL.

Charlotte has a new nickname this morning.....Charlotte, the Stump Puller.... V-Twin engine torque, GAWD, but you gotta love it! :)

"Oh..forgot to comment...even in Tour Mode, when you bury the throttle at full rotation...hang on....hang on....even in Tour Mode....hang on....."! :)

Joe

·
Registered
445 Posts
YPE. I had another riding buddy tell me that he read up on this bike and stated that you can pull a tree out of the ground. Funny you named her Stump Puller. "Charlotte, the stump puller". Maybe call her or refer to her as "Charlotte the awesome stump puller".
I was staring on this forum that I had never had a need to go into sport mode and I live where I am always on the throttle.
I did try but will use this when I hit the dragon.
Happy 4th everyone.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
YPE. I had another riding buddy tell me that he read up on this bike and stated that you can pull a tree out of the ground. Funny you named her Stump Puller. "Charlotte, the stump puller". Maybe call her or refer to her as "Charlotte the awesome stump puller".
I was staring on this forum that I had never had a need to go into sport mode and I live where I am always on the throttle.
Happy 4th everyone.
Just remember when we meet up at the Dragons Tail on the 14th that you have someone who ALSO has Sport Mode and can keep up!!

·
Registered
445 Posts
I got to ask. I dragged the left side and scrapped hardware floorboard (not bad) and the side stand (ouch). Did you have the same experience or anyone on the svtc!
Not sure if it was just the crown in the road but none of my other bikes scraped there other than the floorboards.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I got to ask. I dragged the left side and scrapped hardware floorboard (not bad) and the side stand (ouch). Did you have the same experience or anyone on the svtc!
Not sure if it was just the crown in the road but none of my other bikes scraped there other than the floorboards.
Had that happen before but it seems to be only on a specific corner the has an abnormal high camber to it. Also, when riding aggressively I set my suspension to 5 so that when solo it gives me better ground clearance and sharper cornering.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Happy 4th everyone.
Hi GAR!

"GAR, this is the most fabulous, stupendous, fun-filled, 'where-do-we-go-to-next', killer, momentous, extraneous, awesome, incredible, feature rich, stump pulling, awesome rear-end Thrummmmm, quiet at cruise, precise handling, rock 'n roll source-rich sound system, vibration free, POWERFUL, easy-to-love, need-to-add-an-extra-1/2 hour-to-answer-coffee shop/restaurant-questions-from-other-riders, best night illumination I have ever had the pleasure to sit behind, amazing-'bottomless' bring-the-kitchen-sink-on-tour.....owned Grand Luxury Tour Motorcycle, Dee-Dee and I have ever had the EXTREME pleasure to call our very own!"

Meet 'Charlotte', The Stump Puller!;

"Ok, I feel better, had that building up since May 6th, 2018. I feel MUCH better now....my shoulders are relaxed, once more..."

Happy 4th, all! Suck back those ribs, country fried chicken, pulled pork, cold beer, and play that music!

Joe :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Gotcha. Thanks. Never had to adjust the shock. Still learning this bike.
For myself, rear preload set to 3.5

For my wife and myself, full click....

...both settings give a fabulous, smooth ride for the intended carry-out. :)

Have fun, you and Chief, tickling the Dragon. Don't feed the TSP! They are on every curve, waiting for your bike to touch either line....

Did that, about ten years ago. :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I hèar ya, nicely put, this is exactly how I feel. Would you mind if I use this to explained to everyone when ask!
"Nope...and trust me....it takes all the built up tension' outta your shoulders and neck. I highly recommend 'getting it out' to all other SVTC owners. At one point, you'll need to, ROTFLMBO! Even my wife, now says there's a more relaxed look to me, as she came into the Den, read what I wrote, laughed, kissed my left cheek, and still chuckling, headed out of the room.... " ;)

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am going to ride the tail twice this day, once to get familiar and another to get really familiar. I hope to stay on payment. I got the best advice once. Someone said to me once "don't try to keep up with your riding buddies".

����
To always come back from any ride...stay slightly 'behind' your riding expertise. THAT will always get you back home! :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
To always come back from any ride...stay slightly 'behind' your riding expertise. THAT will always get you back home! :)
YPE. That's the hard part, trying to remember to stay slightly behind my riding experience 😁
For some reason when I see other bikes I need to be out front, especially now when I need to put the Yamaha out front. 😁
I will make sure that when on the tail to keep repeating to myself, you are on the tail don't be an idiot. I really have to make sure not to have any good music playing, that seems to amp me up.
It bad enough that I will be on the SVTC (sport mode maybe)!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

YPE. That's the hard part, trying to remember to stay slightly behind my riding experience ��
For some reason when I see other bikes I need to be out front, especially now when I need to put the Yamaha out front. ��
I will make sure that when on the tail to keep repeating to myself, you are on the tail don't be an idiot. I really have to make sure not to have any good music playing, that seems to amp me up.
****Warning Will Smith, warning!****

GARider, just my personal opinion, is that you might want to run with TOUR MODE, on the Dragon. I think that because in SPORT MODE, the throttle position by wire, 'sniff' is so tight....that you could be in a serious situation, where on any s-back curve, you hit a bump, your wrist to arm angle changes for any reason, that causes you to inadvertently 'blip' the throttle, could have you careening backwards from the controls...and a crash ensues. Personally, I would use a more forgiving and relaxed throttle position 'sniff' that TOUR MODE affords. Just sayin'....my advice. :) SPORT MODE truly is a high performance 'hot' throttle by wire...and is best again in my opinion on straight away's, highway and byway vehicle passing, mountain passes, mountain climbing roadways....but not on such tight and forced lower speed S backs as the Dragon forces upon you. It's tough enough to stay in control with a throttle by cable...but add a instant response, throttle by wire system....on the Dragon curves...can be in my opinion...a hazard in itself..... Just sayin'... :)

Joe

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
To always come back from any ride...stay slightly 'behind' your riding expertise. THAT will always get you back home! /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif
YPE. That's the hard part, trying to remember to stay slightly behind my riding experience 😁
For some reason when I see other bikes I need to be out front, especially now when I need to put the Yamaha out front. 😁
Riding at “your skill level” just means focusing on YOUR bike and what YOU are doing, I know there are better and worse riders than me, but I’m not riding their bike NOR am I riding my bike like theirs. I could care less about what others think if I’m keeping up not.
During the riding season their are so MANY accidents on the Dragons Tail that it should bring a serious somber approach to what you’re about to do. They have a TREE along the way called “The Tree Of Shame”. It’s adorned with all kinds of bike parts from wrecks that have occurred! Look it up and you’ll see there is NO lack of parts.
GA, since we’re planning on doing this the 14th which is a Saturday, be advised that road gets BUSY!!
The crotch rockets are butt heads who think they’re on a Sebring Race Course! Then you have the different clubs that ride it on the weekends.. Vettes, Mustangs, Cobra’s, Porsche, Camero’s & the assorted modified’s.
There is another road very near which is not as “famed” as the Dragon but has much higher reviews in road conditions, scenery and is less travelled called the Cherohala Highway and its longer than the Dragon.
A couple years back there were some idiots who were going along and actually DUMPING OIL IN THE CORNERS and then were off a ways VIDEOING the CRASHES that occurred!! I’m not kidding either!!
I’d probably be in JAIL if I witnessed someone doing that.

At any rate, I’m looking forward to meeting up with you (weather permitting). Not sure if your riding 2 up but I’ll be coming solo.

If you want to know more about the VAST number of great roads in that area, check out >>>>
http://www.motorcycleroads.com/best/?c=109
They have maps and reviews of all of them. One the roads is even named “BEGINNERS BEWARE”.
That should say everything about it. Lol

See ya on the 14th!

Chief. (Tony)

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
I am curious as to what Ivan is going to get out of one of these. You said 79hp and 129Tq at the crank. I put 92 and 120 to the ground with the Raider with basically the same motor. Bwahahahaha.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I am curious as to what Ivan is going to get out of one of these. You said 79hp and 129Tq at the crank. I put 92 and 120 to the ground with the Raider with basically the same motor. Bwahahahaha.
Like many others who are considering the new Yamaha Venture for an upcoming purchase, I have been following these threads and others on the new Gold Wing with a high level of interest. Concerning the SVTC, I have read many comments and watched many videos concerning it's less than stellar level of performance. I have not had the golden chance to ride one yet (or the new Gold Wing for that matter) but am anticipating doing so in the very near future. I do have a close buddy who has ridden HD for years (who doesnt have this kind of friend?) who did get a chance to ride one of the new ones (an Eluder) and he compared the new Yamaha's performance to that of a stock 2003 Electra Glide that he use to own. I had ridden the bike he was comparing the Eluder to and, quite frankly, found that particular era of HD touring bikes, in stock form, to be way unpowered for what my wife and I need/expect in a touring bike - lathargic would be a nice way of saying what they were.
One of the things I have noticed in my reading here is the fact that the new Yamaha's have "Sport Mode" and I am very interested in all the comments I am hearing concerning that mode of operation. I ask my buddy yesterday whether he had tried Sport Mode during his ride time on the Eluder and he said he didnt even know that there was such a thing. I told him that perhaps, with one little flip or a switch, the performance levels that the Raiders are well known for in the Big Twin world are easily attainable/there for the asking on the new Yamaha's? Knowing Yamaha's inventive and competitive nature, I am truly convinced that what I have been reading concerning the matter that there is some truth to this possibility and can just imagine the thrill of going from a slug to a scalded rabbit with just a flick that some owners are reporting!!!! I CAN NOT WAIT TILL THE TEST RIDE DAY OF MY OWN GETS HERE!!!!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts