Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've already got 2 floor jacks, plus bottle jacks, farm jack, jack stands. I just didn't want another big jack to store.

Amazon has this scissor jack for about $70. Capacity is 1k#. Will this be stable enough? Hmmm...Youtubers who have them seem to like them, naysayers who don't own one pooh-pooh them. Figured I would just have to try one and see.

I have to say it works better than I expected. You would have to really shove sideways to knock the bike off of this thing. Once you figure out how much to shim the right side to level the frame bottom. You can favor it fore or aft to adjust how much you want the front tire versus rear tire lift, or find the balance point and lift them both. It isn't stable front to rear, so if I want to pull a tire I will favor it toward that end. I think a second floor jack would be needed if you wanted both wheels off at once.

An 18V cordless cranks it up easily.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E8HGCEY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Super Moderator
4,621 Posts
For regular maintenance and cleaning it looks great. Just be careful with bikes balance
when you have one wheel off. My Harbor Freight motorcycle jack which is a little bigger than this one gets a little unsteady if I'm not careful.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The crank is genius!
Just takes a 7/8" socket. I thought I might need my impact gun, which would not be good for the screw, so I was happy that it worked easily with a regular drill.

For regular maintenance and cleaning it looks great. Just be careful with bikes balance
when you have one wheel off. My Harbor Freight motorcycle jack which is a little bigger than this one gets a little unsteady if I'm not careful.
Absolutely. Made me nervous the first couple times I lifted it. It will go quite a bit higher than I have it in those pics, but I won't want to lift it more than just enough to get the weight off the tires.

Also there is a reason why I have the screw on the side opposite the kickstand. If the weight starts to get away from me at the start, I want to be on that side to hold it steady. Had it turned the other way at first, and this way made more sense to me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey, good suggestion for a low priced lift. Might I suggest a pair of cheap car jack stands to stabilize further? (I fear dropping my ride off the stand... ) thanks for the review/suggestion!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Hey, good suggestion for a low priced lift. Might I suggest a pair of cheap car jack stands to stabilize further? (I fear dropping my ride off the stand... ) thanks for the review/suggestion!
Another thing i can do with mine is ratchet strap it on. I would cry if it fell off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts