Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just a reminder to all you fellow Road Star owners out there, check your front pulley nut. I neglected to check mine and during a ride the other night, as I was descending a hill, all of a sudden the bike started to freewheel. I could hear some chattering and my heart sunk.

I should buy a lottery ticket today as the damage was very minimal. That isn't the case for some others I know. Several hundred dollars in parts is often the recipe to get them back on the road.

Anyway, just a friendly reminder. Here is a page for the '08+ models with the torque specs for the nut and cover. Remember to stake the nut or bend the locking tab (older style nut/washer combo). I'm going to put a dab of LOCTITE® on mine for good measure.

Human body Font Parallel Rectangle Slope

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
1,074 Posts
I need to check mine on the 08 thanks for the reminder. I bet there are better options for securing it. Found this interesting.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Came loose on my Strat a couple of years ago. Riding along and heard rattling and had intermittent acceleration.
Limped it home as I was just 1/2 mile away...did some research and found the front drive gear worked loose.
Also saw this is a common problem....anyway, put on some torque seal and tightened up to spec. Good to go!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts