Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2009 vstar 950, 2014 Bolt r-spec
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lurked for awhile, but I figured it's now time to sign up. I just took ownership of an '09 vstar 950. Red dust of death killed off the transmission @ 30k. Bike is otherwise too nice to let die. Price was right, so I'm gonna do surgery. My daily is a Bolt. I have a few other Yamahas in the "barn" as well...'81 xv920r, '83xv750 and an '83 xt200. I just like yamahas, I guess.

·
Registered
181 Posts
How do you like the Bolt? I am thinking about buying the 2020 as my first new-new bike. Any problems with it at all?

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. I grew up on honda was looking for yamahas but it just didn't work out until 40 years later, Was worth the wait. Welcome i am sure if you were lurking you know what you are getting into. Stop by often

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,891 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. Glad you joined us. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt :

Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How do you like the Bolt? I am thinking about buying the 2020 as my first new-new bike. Any problems with it at all?
I absolutely love my Bolt. I put the Vance and Hines open air cleaner on it to get rid of that huge factory box that I kept hitting my knee on. Got cheap and chopped off the 20+ lb. muffler. Replaced it with what amounts to an open exhaust tip. Then I invested in an Ivan's flash. Best thing I ever did to that bike. My biggest complaint is the crappy speedo on the 14s. I heard it was adjusted on the '15+

It's a fun zippy little cruiser. Light enough to flick around and skinny enough to easily lane filter/split (where applicable)

·
Registered
285 Posts
welcome from NY. Share a pic of your ride sometime. Until then enjoy the forum and visit often. Happy trails... ride safe.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
red dust of death?!

the transmission is in the same oil as the engine

the splines in the drive shaft can look like red power if they were not properly lubed

?!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
red dust of death?!

the transmission is in the same oil as the engine

the splines in the drive shaft can look like red power if they were not properly lubed

?!
Apparently on some of the 950s, The belt tension spec is too tight. There may also be some slight engine/frame misalignment issues. This all causes the belt to walk outboard on the front pulley, putting a lateral load on the output shaft and bearing. With a little time, the splines begin to chatter and the pulley nut becomes loose, which only causes the pulley to chatter even more on the splines..eventually destroying them. The red dust is a product from the 2 different metal compositions powderizing themselves (or something like that, I think).

Preventative maintenance for this is to adjust your belt on the loose end of the spec and if your splines/pulley are still good, red loctite and torque the nut down to 100-120 ft/lbs (dont recall the exact spec).

This particular bike had 30,000 miles on it before it let loose.

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
ok so you have to split the engine case to replace that transmission output shaft to the pulley.... ?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so you have to split the engine case to replace that transmission output shaft to the pulley.... ?
Yeah. I picked it up cheap since the previous owner wanted no part of that. It has become my Pandemic Project.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I absolutely love my Bolt. I put the Vance and Hines open air cleaner on it to get rid of that huge factory box that I kept hitting my knee on. Got cheap and chopped off the 20+ lb. muffler. Replaced it with what amounts to an open exhaust tip. Then I invested in an Ivan's flash. Best thing I ever did to that bike. My biggest complaint is the crappy speedo on the 14s. I heard it was adjusted on the '15+

It's a fun zippy little cruiser. Light enough to flick around and skinny enough to easily lane filter/split (where applicable)
Get Ivan's flash for this one too. I did that, Cobra Powerflo and V&H. Like you with the Bolt, best money I've spent on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Welcome aboard from Comstock Park Michigan let us know how much work that gear change was.
I've got the engine out, cylinders and heads off. Just about ready to split it, but need a puller to pop the fly wheel off. So far i'm in it only about 5 days of off and on tinkering.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts