Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I put my foot down once on a recumbent bicycle going 25mph, swerving to avoid a pot hole that would have dumped me.

I cannot imaging putting a foot down on the highway on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What website did you find them on? I am looking for some passanger ones for my 950
I ordered some front pegs from China. Instead of 115 dollars each....they were about 15 dollars (free shipping). Ordered in October....have not received them yet. I've talked to another person who ordered bike stuff and he told me to be patient. In the meantime, I ordered some used pegs for my V-Star 650 and received them quickly. I now have an extra pair.

·
Registered
909 Posts
It depends on who the manufacturer is. In that respect China is no different than any other country... there are companies that make crap and others that put out high quality goods.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Found them on Ebay
Chinese stuff is spotty. Some pretty good, some awful.

I've ordered plenty in my time. Typically it's so much cheaper that even if you get a dud, you just try again and still save big bucks.

Plus if you bought it on Ebay and it's "not as described" then you have their return guarantee (even if the seller says no returns...)

·
Registered
909 Posts
... Typically it's so much cheaper that even if you get a dud, you just try again and still save big bucks.

Plus if you bought it on Ebay and it's "not as described" then you have their return guarantee (even if the seller says no returns...)
I agree to an extent but remain leery for the point KCW made concerning 'putting a foot down' at speed. Foot pegs and floorboards are often subjected to near a rider's or passenger's entire weight and if the foot peg or floorboard is a cast product from an unproven source or of questionable alloy, then you only find out it was crap once it breaks, usually while in motion. I do not relish the idea of being a test dummy in this instance just to save a few bucks... which to me doesn't make sense considering a lot of riders pay serious money to get the biggest/newest/most badassest bike they can and then scrimp on accessories and/or replacement parts. At the very least if I would get a set of pegs or floorboards from an unproven source, I would install them and apply twice the weight or force they would normally be expected to sustain and see if it breaks or fatigues. It's best to find out at a standstill than unexpectedly at speed.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I agree to an extent but remain leery for the point KCW made concerning 'putting a foot down' at speed. Foot pegs and floorboards are often subjected to near a rider's or passenger's entire weight and if the foot peg or floorboard is a cast product from an unproven source or of questionable alloy, then you only find out it was crap once it breaks, usually while in motion. I do not relish the idea of being a test dummy in this instance just to save a few bucks... which to me doesn't make sense considering a lot of riders pay serious money to get the biggest/newest/most badassest bike they can and then scrimp on accessories and/or replacement parts. At the very least if I would get a set of pegs or floorboards from an unproven source, I would install them and apply twice the weight or force they would normally be expected to sustain and see if it breaks or fatigues. It's best to find out at a standstill than unexpectedly at speed.
Don't disagree where it comes to items with a safety function vs. just-cosmetic stuff.

I've not typically found chinese stuff structurally inferior, more just fit-and-finish. In fact, I'd say 95% of my problems with chinese goods have been 'fit'... holes drilled just a hair off that don't fit right, etc.

Agree that if I bought Chinese foot pegs/boards first thing I'd do after installing is jump up and down on them (hard) a few times and inspect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts