Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For years I have worn nothing but the 1/2 helmets, probably mostly because I thought it was cool, both from a looks point of view and temperature. I'm at the age now that looking cool ain't all that important and I'm thinkin I have to be partially nuts to not wear a full face. Cagers are crazy and my eyes water when the temps are cooler. So whats protectin your noodle? 1/2, full face, visor/no visor?

·
Registered
570 Posts
DOT 3/4 Face (made by Daytona)....Want a little more protection for the face for most days..I just wear some Oakleys with em..

I also just ordered a daytona full face as well...Call me a ninny, but 75 mph rides, for several hours on end with a 3/4 face kinda gets annoying, especially when it's colder, mostly got it for the highway trips ill be taking this summer

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have several

I mostly wear a half helmet, but I have a Scorpion full face for cold weather, and a HJC full face for really cold weather. The HJC is larger so that I can wear a stocking hat under it. I also have an old G_FORCE left over from stock car racing, I usually let a passenger wear that one if they need one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Always wore a 3/4 helmet until 2 years ago then switched to a 1/2 helmet with a 1/4 visor. Never could stand to wear the full face helmet. Of course my 1100 has a windsheild on it & none of my other bikes did.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I use a Scorpion EXO-100 w/visor and my wife uses a HJC CL-21M. I used the visor all the time for about a week (just cause it was something new) but now just keep it up unless I want a little darker view while cruisin.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Shoei RF-1100 full face helmet, DOT and Snell certified. Has head vents to help in the summer and is very comfortable. Also has space to integrate head phones for music while riding.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Full face HJC every minute I am on the bike. Added a breath box to mine, keeps the sheild from fogging in cold weather.
Whats a breath box and where do you get them?:eek:

·
Registered
116 Posts
I wear an AFX 140 Modular. The chin piece folds all the way to the back of the helmet for open face riding and it has a drop down sun shield visor. For full face riding in case of rain or cold or stuff, I just flip it back over to the front. I have a KBC full face non modular that is much lighter and quieter. Modulars are heavier and noisier than the regular full face.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I just gave away my smallest of brain buckets. It was one of those novelty helmets thats not approved by anybody.

These are the three i have: I haven't worn the full face in a long time. The white 3/4 is my newest, got it thinking i could wear my iPod ear buds inside (that don't work, lol). The 1/2 is the one i wear most often, it has removeable 'wrap-around' ear warmers that do a very good job of keeping out wind noise & keeping in the iPod ear buds :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
I wore a full face HJC helmet for years when I rode sport bikes. When I got my V Star I went with a half helmet, mainly because of the group I ride with, mostly Harleys. My wife and I both work in a Hospital (she in the ER) A few weeks ago we both got full face helmets, after a older rider came in the ER after he left most of his face left on the payment after a minor lay down of the bike.

It is a big adjustment, you might want to consider one of the modular full face where the whole chin area flips up.

My wife has never worn a full face helmet and was worried that she wouldn't like it. She had had no problems at all.

I went back with a HJC IS-16.

Wife went with Seven Zero Seven, which they say is made by HJC. Don't know how true it is but it has a Snell rating

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
When riding the scoot, 80% to 90% of the time I have a full face on (Shoei RF-1000). The other times, short rides and commutes and coupled with high temperatures, I wear a DOT half helmet (leather wrapped Daytona).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The more I read the more I think the full face is the way to go, gonna keep my eyes open for sales. Anything that conseals my ugly mug is good for everyone. Thanks for all the replies guys.

·
Registered
208 Posts
When I 1st bought the bike, I planned on both momma and I getting full face helmets. She unfortunately was too claustrophobic to wear a full face, so she got a 1/2 helmet. I got the full face for colder weather, and a 1/2 helmet for warmer weather riding.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 27 Posts