Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005 V Star 1100. The bike has become a little hard to start, not bad but something has changed. It seems that when I choke it to start (cold) it may be flooding. If I do not choke it, it does not want to start unless I give it a little throttle and I do not want to start it this way.

A little history; bought the bike used, previous owner had been idling it a lot to keep it running and battery charged, not a good idea with a V twin. I had to clean the pilot jets so that the bike would idle without using the choke, after this the bike would idle and run great. Starting sequence was full choke, start and move the choke to mid position for warmup. Something has changed and I would like some advice for where to look. There are no mods on the intake or jetting, mixture screws are set at 3.5 turns.

I pulled the plugs and found the front plug to be black, probably due to excessive idling but the back plug was fine. I put new plugs in but it did not change anything, still will not start choked and requires a little throttle.

I believe that the choke is functioning because if I engage it after the bike starts the bike dies right away, one reason that I think it is flooding.

Any advice on what to look for is appreciated.

Loup

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Nick is right close. The pms screws should be out 2 turns with a stock set up. I've removed my AIS and stock intake, installed Shanes pod set up and jetted the carbs. My pms screws are out 3.25 turns. Try turning your screws in until lightly seated and then turn them out to what Nick said up to 2.5 turns so that the popping stops.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
10-4 guys, thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try.

Loup

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just made the adjustment yesterday, setting the PMS screw to 2 turns and this has corrected the problem. So, thank you nick57 and Corsair.

I was all set to take the carbs down and clean them, thinking this was the problem but fortunately I do not have to.

Loup

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I will check the plugs as you suggest. Next time I take a break from work I will be changing the tires.

Take care,
Loup

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice, and link. I will check the mid shaft nut while changing the tire.

Loup

1 - 11 of 11 Posts