Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna go flat black on my V Star Custom and have spoken to a few body shops here in Montreal about the options. Seems like there are a couple of different schools of thought on what paint to use and whether or not to use a clearcoat on top...

I would obviously use a satin clear coat to keep the black as flat as possible, but the guy I spoke to about doing this (he was a true, old-school gent) did not recommend this as the clear coat would, over time, damage the flat black paint.

But I've also heard the opposite - that there are good paints and good clear coats that work just fine.

What gives flat black fans?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I wanna go flat black on my V Star Custom and have spoken to a few body shops here in Montreal about the options. Seems like there are a couple of different schools of thought on what paint to use and whether or not to use a clearcoat on top...

I would obviously use a satin clear coat to keep the black as flat as possible, but the guy I spoke to about doing this (he was a true, old-school gent) did not recommend this as the clear coat would, over time, damage the flat black paint.

But I've also heard the opposite - that there are good paints and good clear coats that work just fine.

What gives flat black fans?
without a some kind of clear coat the paint will be unprotected which would be bad especially on the tank where fuel spills will attack paint.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Use premium products and you won't have an issue with the clear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts