Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 V Star 950 with 8100 miles on it. There is an intermittent clicking noise underneath the seat. Does not occur until the bike warms up. May start clicking after 30 minutes or not until 2 hours or not at all. Never does it when the bike is cold. I turned off the engine, put it in neutral and coasted down hill. It clicks once with every revolution. Does it with the clutch engaged and disengaged. It is loud with the engine off. Has been doing this for about the last 1000 miles. Anyone experienced anything similar?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Check to see if the front drive pulley is tight. A good clue is if there is rust dust on the inside lip of the pulley. (The rust dust is caused by the loose pulley wearing and the fine particles collecting on the lip due to centrifugal force, then rusting.)

A search on this forum should get you a lot of info about the front pulley issues on the 950.

That said, mine also made a clicking at about the same mileage. Then it just stopped. Then at about 20K miles the pulley got loose enough to make the belt squeak. Until the 20K mark I thought all was great. I do not know if the two events are in any way connected. But, ...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Follow up info.

2lanerider's diagnosis was dead right.

Dealer removed pulley and found rust behind the pulley and on the splines of output shaft. They contacted Yamaha and was informed that sometimes if the nut was not torqued to spec. it could cause the noise issue and the rust. Cleaned everything, replaced the nut and torqued everything to Yamaha specs. Noise is gone and bike runs great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts