Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Super Moderator
Congrats on the new ride. I'm still trying to figure out if the red or gray one is faster, maybe you can help on this debate. 馃榾

Registered
Granite Gray SVTC serial # 120.

Now I have that pain in my face from continuous grin.

Also have the heebie geebies having to wait for her to be assembled.
Congrats!! I鈥檝e got over 15k miles on mine and the smile does not go away! You鈥檒l get used to it.... after a while your face goes numb and you don鈥檛 notice it anymore. Lol!

Registered
Granite Gray SVTC serial # 120.

Now I have that pain in my face from continuous grin.

Also have the heebie geebies having to wait for her to be assembled.
BTW, make SURE your dealer does ALL the software updates and ENABLES everything BEFORE you take delivery. It SHOULD be part of the 鈥渄ealer prep鈥 you are PAYING for.

Registered
The fastest color for a motorcycle is: dirty.

The guy that spends all his time washing his bike is not riding it.

The guy that rides his bike all the time and never washes it rides faster and faster.

The limitation is not the machine, its the rider.

Registered

The guy that rides his bike all the time and never washes it rides faster and faster.

I disagree with that statement. I have over 15k on my bike, and anyone can attest to the fact I keep it immaculate. Heck, my last bike a 91 Venture Royale had over 120k miles on it and looked showroom new.
See for yourself in this pic!

Just cuz it鈥檚 clean doesn鈥檛 mean it鈥檚 not ridden.

Registered
you have to admit you are not riding it while you are cleaning it
and while you are cleaning it, someone else is riding theirs

there is also a tendency for people that keep their bike spotless, to not ride it in anything other than perfect weather

I can go on craigslist right now and find at least 20 listings for Harleys that will say "always kept in a heated garage covered, never seen rain...."

the analogy goes back to which color sails are the fastest on a racing sailboat - the more time you spend on the water, the more experience you gain. Sailors with brand new sails do not want to capsize their boat and get their sails in the weeds and water.

If you have never dropped your bike while racing, then you dont know how fast it can corner.

Dirty sails win most races.

Registered
you have to admit you are not riding it while you are cleaning it
and while you are cleaning it, someone else is riding theirs

there is also a tendency for people that keep their bike spotless, to not ride it in anything other than perfect weather

I can go on craigslist right now and find at least 20 listings for Harleys that will say "always kept in a heated garage covered, never seen rain...."

the analogy goes back to which color sails are the fastest on a racing sailboat - the more time you spend on the water, the more experience you gain. Sailors with brand new sails do not want to capsize their boat and get their sails in the weeds and water.

If you have never dropped your bike while racing, then you dont know how fast it can corner.

Dirty sails win most races.
With that logic I better not do any maintenance either cuz if I鈥檝e got it pulled apart to do maintenance, I鈥檓 not riding it.
There are issues that can be revealed with someone who is detailing their bike that otherwise would be overlooked and covered by dirt. If your cleaning off the dirt, then you鈥檙e also looking at the condition of items.

Registered
maintenance is necessary

being able to do maintenance quickly and get back on the track for the next race is a valuable skill

using a toothbrush on spokes isnt

Super Moderator
maintenance is necessary

being able to do maintenance quickly and get back on the track for the next race is a valuable skill

using a toothbrush on spokes isnt
While I agree anything can be taken too far, cleaning is maintenance. Parts left on their own will rust and corrode causing premature wear and parts failure. When I'm cleaning I'm checking nuts and bolts for tightness and examining things for condition. I had 65k on my Vstar and other than flat tire it never left me stranded until the recent starter clutch failure. I contributed some of the reliability to my attention to detail. I've average over 15k over many years and 95% of the time my bike is clean. Anyway, just my thoughts.

Registered
So who rides more and is the more experienced rider, the guy who puts 10,000 miles on his bike per year during 4 months of summer riding on the weekends or the guy who puts 10,000 miles on his bike by riding year round and almost every day no matter the weather conditions? I bought an XVS1100 from a guy who kept the bike immaculate and wouldn't ride it even during the summer when there was even a threat of rain. My 650 is filthy because it's been wet around here for several weeks straight and I don't have time to detail it every day after riding.

Registered
The guy that is riding 10,000 miles during the 4 months of summer, and riding only on weekends is going 10,000 miles in 34 days

which is 294 miles a day - averaging 60mph that is 5 hours a day, or maybe 2.5 hours a day at 120mph (racing on the track on weekends maybe?)

The guy that rides year round goes 10,000 miles in 365 days, which is 27 miles a day, essentially commuting

what was the question again? what color is his motorcycle?!

Registered
... averaging 60mph ...
LOL, not in middle America and further west. Most motorcyclists do 80-85mph. On my trip to Colorado and back I was averaging 80mph on the interstates and was passed many times by large groups of riders yet seldomly passed anyone else.

Registered

Nah...nonsense. My bike for the most part is polished chrome and sparkling paint. Firstly it's in my nature to be a clean freak, an unavoidable neurosis that's been my companion since I was a little snot. Secondly taking pride in anything means taking care of it which includes cleaning it. That applies to anything, your bike, car, home or your person. I get looks when I'm riding, people talk to me at red lights, walk over to me when I'm pumping fuel. I love that. When that chrome (and there's a lot of it) gleans it POPS and I feel good.

Registered

Nah...nonsense. My bike for the most part is polished chrome and sparkling paint. Firstly it's in my nature to be a clean freak, an unavoidable neurosis that's been my companion since I was a little snot. Secondly taking pride in anything means taking care of it which includes cleaning it. That applies to anything, your bike, car, home or your person. I get looks when I'm riding, people talk to me at red lights, walk over to me when I'm pumping fuel. I love that. When that chrome (and there's a lot of it) gleans it POPS and I feel good.
馃憤馃憤 PREACH! 馃憤馃憤

Registered
Nah...nonsense. My bike for the most part is polished chrome and sparkling paint. ...
you skipped the entire point: How fast do you ride compared to the guy with the grungy rat bike Vstar who is spending ALL his free time riding?

AGAIN: its not the shiny or dirty bike, or the color of the paint: its the rider that makes the bike fast.... or not.

All those hours you spend making your chrome poppy, you are not riding.

A few of you guys are really letting your ego get to you: the statement that the dirty bike is the fastest bike is a generalization, its not federal law.

Registered
Discussion Starter #19
BTW, make SURE your dealer does ALL the software updates and ENABLES everything BEFORE you take delivery. It SHOULD be part of the 鈥渄ealer prep鈥 you are PAYING for.
ChiefGunner,
Where can I look up what latest software rev should be loaded?
When you said ENABLES everything, like CB, NAV, what else????

Also, I has read somewhere about some loose/missing hardware on a fairing. Anything other things to watch for when I pick her up?

Thanks,
Gary

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Congrats on the new ride. I'm still trying to figure out if the red or gray one is faster, maybe you can help on this debate. 馃榾
Sorry, fastest was not part of decision.

My wife saw both and gravitated to the gray. After the test ride she said"Get this one."
Then she started making plans for rides this year. So, I am sure the Gray goes on more trips:smile:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts