Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yep - common problem on the Star models.

I got one in once (V-Star 1100) that I had to replace an intake valve on, all because of a starter sprag job gone wrong. :eek:

My buddy figured it was an easy job. Well, first, he hogged on a puller with an impact, which then split the crankshaft end in 3 - like the petals of a flower. He then replaced the sprag, and reinstalled everything with the cam timing all screwed up. Then burned out the starter solenoid trying to get it to run. :eek:

So he gave up and brought it to me. Once I found the pinched wire that was causing the no-spark condition, it started with a TERRIBLE racket - like someone whacking a ball-peen hammer against a piece of hollow wood 8x per second. BAD. Did a leakdown test - 40% leakage out the intake valve.

Had to pull the engine to get to the head, turn it sideways in the frame, then had to rig up a pulley setup on the ceiling to use my ATV winch in order to get it back in. Was working solo ... and that engine is all of 200 lbs. What a horror show!

The owner has put 7k miles on it since that day. Runs better than ever after I tweaked his carb for him too. Made some cash that day. ;)

·
Registered
274 Posts
That's interesting. I hear the same thing on my 650. However, it seems much worse if the engine stops without the kill switch, say I turn off the choke too soon. It is just like the above video when I shut it down normally.

·
Registered
267 Posts
That "kick back" sound is completely normal - doesn't mean anything is wrong. It's the nature of the beast. Just wanted to clarify that after re-reading my post.

When the sprag breaks, you'll know it. ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Check your engine Timing, my 1100 was so far off I can't believe it was running as good as it was. Nothing was lining up on the timing marks, my rear cylinder was two teeth off. Now all that "Kick Back" and running out of steam above 70mph is gone, it starts and runs like it should. A little Kickback is normal (nature of the beast) but with the timing being so far off my engine had a lot more than it does now. I did of course loose some low end torque and have to slip the clutch a little more on takeoff now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you're only getting a clunk when you shut it off, and it's occasional, that's pretty normal. Ours does it sometimes too. The clunk to worry about is when starting it; you may need to adjust the TPS (throttle position sensor). This is an excellent tutorial on it from the KB:

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/Other-Stuff/TPS-Test-Adjust.pdf
So I have a question sir I have a 09 star 1100 andi am getting nasty clunk sou d from the crankcase starter clutch I read that if you turn it one-way and it spins and the other way it locks its good is that true? Bc I did that and it locked but qhen I hooked the battery up put the pil back I. It and tried to start its making that nasty clunk noise and if the starter clutch is good but im heari.g the noise you think it could be the thing in between the starter gear and starter clutch?

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.