Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a problem after having changed clutch plates, the lever at the stator cover turns without springing back. Both covers were taken off to be powder coated, assembled everything back with new gaskets but the damn thing won't work.

Any ideas what might be wrong?
Thank you all in advance!

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,655 Posts
There is an adjustment to the clutch push rod. Follow the link in my signature for wiki vstar page. Let me know if this helps.

·
6,655 Posts
I've never had that issue. Clutch lever pulls cable, cable rotates lever, lever pushes rod, rod pushes on clutch, pressure is formed on clutch side. Logically if it is "stuck" then either 1. the rod is bent or has corrosion restricting movement, 2. Clutch assembly binding stopping rod from movement. Good luck on your fix. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The rod was perfectly straight when picking the clutch apart. With binding do you mean friction plates sticking?

·
6,655 Posts
Something might he hanging up not allowing clutch plates or disks to compress. Other thing is the clutch spring (big washer looking part with inside fingers) could be bad or not seated properly.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
By "adjusting it back and forth" did you tighten it way too far? It should turn easily unless you go to far, then it will feel like it is binding slightly.....if it is.....you;ve tightened it too far. Back off the screw until it becomes easier to turn then follow the shop manual instruction for adjusting the clutch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No I have adjusted at lower end several times before and have had no problems. Took off both covers when rebuilding the bike and changeing the friction plates, after putting everything back it wont budge.

Thinking either the friction plates have stuck due to standing without oil for a few or the actuator retaining balls have been positioned wrong when reassembling it all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts