Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a 2005 v star and having clutch problems.. When I test drove it I noticed the clutch slipping at high speed. wasn't to worried about it used it as a haggling chip. Anyhoo. I noticed the stooge had the clutch cable too tight causing the slipping. Got that taken care of and now I've noticed the bike lurching when shifting into first gear meaning the clutch plates are sticking.

My question is should I go ahead and order new plates or should they be okay? The bike has 9K miles, but no telling how may with a slipping clutch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is my understanding when a clutch wears it slips,it sounds like when you pull the lever in the clutch is not disengaging completely.did you check the cable adjustment at the engine side of the cable?
Yes I'm positive it is disengaging

·
Registered
274 Posts
Farmall. I'm not sure this will be of any help, but does the bike lurch more when it's cold? My 650 seems to lurch just a bit if it's really cold (like last two days!) but once the bike (I assume oil) warms up I really don't notice it. I usually pump the clutch 4 or 5 times when warming up the engine and that seems to help a bit.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Thin, old oil can cause the sticking along with poor adjustment and excessive wear. If the clutch is OK, you might want to make sure you have good oil (read: not a 5w-30 but more like a 20w v twin oil) in it. It may stick again but should improve. You're sticking isn't bad, yet, but it could get to the point that you can't disengage at all. This is assuming that the plates are actually sticking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts