Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some slippage in my clutch if I moderately accelerate. Mostly notice in 2-4 gear. Hoping it is just an adjustment needed but most of the urls that I have found on this forum for clutch adjustments are no longer valid. Any suggestions/recommendations?

·
Registered
1982 XV1100,1989 XT600Z Tenere, 2008 F800ST
2,093 Posts
That sounds strange to me - typically, you notice clutch slip most in the tallest gear under full acceleration, and progressively less in the lower gears and/or under lighter load. What happens if you use full throttle in 5th gear from 45 mph?

But you should also be aware - in case your clutch is slipping - that there are two clutch adjustments; one for the cable, and one for the actual clutch release mechanism itself.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
2,237 Posts
I don't quite get the mechanics of it, but yes the clutch adjustment will cause slipping. Specifically the lower operating rod. This is for the 1100. The FSM covers it well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still getting clutch slippage. Is fine at 1/2 throttle or less. I adjusted it at both locations. On the release mechanism end, I took all adjustment out of the hand lever end and then loosened the locking nut, turned adjuster till seated and backed off 1/4 turn and then readjusted at the lever end. Oil change was with Yamalube, so I doubt the oil is causing it.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
seated ? after you loosened the locknut how far did the adjustment rod go in? less than one turn or more? having second thoughts if the rod was turned in the clutch wouldn't engage,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seated ? after you loosened the locknut how far did the adjustment rod go in? less than one turn or more? having second thoughts if the rod was turned in the clutch wouldn't engage,
Maybe in a half a turn. After a ride and working the clutch more, the lever ended up needing more adjustment. Seems to be better now but will take another ride tonight and see.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
a half a turns a lot. at half a turn the lever would have a lot of play. get it as close to a quarter turn as you can. my bike does not like city driving after awhile the lever feels swelled.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
2,237 Posts
Did you follow the FSM instructions? I don't have a 650, but the 1100 version of the FSM give very detailed instruction on the adjustment. I'm guessing the 650 manual would too.

Reactions: faffi

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
On the 650 I found I needed at least a 1/4 " free play before it ever pulls the cable. It is too sensitive because of how too full lever release it is to engage clutch.

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
When you release the clutch handle for the clutch plates to engage , it is closer to the end of travel of the lever. If you don't leave slack in the cable it is too easy to have the clutch not fully engaged when the lever is released.
Also any pulling on the cable from the movement of the bars can slightly disengage the clutch causing it to slip.
Is that a better explanation ?

• Love
Reactions: VStarArizona

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
817 Posts
When you release the clutch handle for the clutch plates to engage , it is closer to the end of travel of the lever. If you don't leave slack in the cable it is too easy to have the clutch not fully engaged when the lever is released.
Also any pulling on the cable from the movement of the bars can slightly disengage the clutch causing it to slip.
Is that a better explanation ?
Yes, and i agree. Thanks

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
817 Posts
The dealer i went to for the neck bearing swap (All-Balls) tightened my clutch cable with very little free play,it was scary close to no free play. I changed that as soon as i got home. I keep somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 inch. I want to know clutch is fully engaged and disengaged, no wondering for me...:)

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
that explains that.with that much play your sure the clutch is fully engaged. the way the thread was goingstarting with mine each post was getting more confusing.

·
Registered
2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
817 Posts
Ok, i'll say what we all know probably.... No matter how little or lot of free play you like at the clutch lever, you always want to look down at the engine-side lever (final lever) and make sure there is around 1/4" free play when the handlebar lever is at rest just to make sure you're fully engaging and disengaging clutch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts