Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone regularly do clutchless shifting? i posed this question quite a while back but interested in seeing current responses. FYI, this is upshifting as you're accelerating without using the clutch lever. i do it occasionally if i'm going pretty fast just for the heck of it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
HELL NO! haha

Why? The Strat already has a known 3rd gear problem and these transmissions are not divorced (separate) like HD so to dig into your trans, you have to gut the engine; not worth it IMO.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Although I don't do it, and won't do it, I was under the impression that these sequential trannys could be upshifted clutchlessly all the time with no problems. Am I incorrect?

·
Registered
421 Posts
The Owner's Manual for my 250 Star says the transmission isn't designed for clutchless shifting. You can do it, but it does cause a shock to the system because the engine has to change speed almost instantly going from one gear to the next (either way). The cushion drive springs in the clutch and the rubber shock dampers in the hub take up part of the jolt.

·
Registered
417 Posts
The 1300 will do it but I typically have to let off the throttle to get it to shift so it becomes a "what's the point" kind of issue. It just won't clutch less shift unless everything is turning at a fairly narrow rpm band for each gear. And I tend to get past that rpm band. I'm more likely to get a smooth clutch less shift fourth to fifth on a mild acceleration. I'm sure my issues are my inexperience with the technique.

·
Super Moderator
13,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1300 will do it but I typically have to let off the throttle to get it to shift so it becomes a "what's the point" kind of issue.
you still let off the throttle as you normally would, just don't wait to pull in the clutch lever to change the gear. you can do so smoothly if your RPMs are high enough so that you match engine speed. the benefit is quicker acceleration.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Just slam shift it like a crotch rocket. Then you just don't bother let off the throttle. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do it all the time. If you never done it before and do start doing it it can take some getting used to. I have an R6, Roadstar warrior and a Roadliner. I also down shift all the time. I've do it in my Z28. There isn't anything wrong with it as long as you do it smoothly.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I believe that's the point. Using the clutch helps ensure it's a smooth transition. I don't pull the lever all the way to the bar but it's disengaged enough for the pillion not to rock back and forth. Seems like every time our helmets touch my kidneys start hurting, also.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Clutches are much less expensive than tranny gears and the labor to replace them...use the clutch like it was designed. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Clutchless shifting is fine if you know what your doing. Clutches are there for mainly 1st gear. Their not nessissary after 1st. There are and have been quick shifters being used. http://hmquickshifter.com.au/

People do it all the time without issues, while racing or just cruising.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
How the heck does it work? Is it just a fancy centrifugal clutch?

·
Registered
894 Posts
It does work on the basic premise of a centrifugal but you can still disengage the clutch any time you want. There are others makers out there, too, like Revloc and Rekluse for a wide variety of vehicles.

·
Registered
810 Posts
My owners manual says to use the clutch when shifting gears. I believe clutchless shifting can be done without damage, but it has to be done properly. The road speed has to match the proper rpm for the particular gear you want, and I can see how the teeth on the gears can get chipped or broken if one is not careful.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts