Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need advice. I noticed I had a little bit of hesitation in 1st and 2nd gear so checked the spark plugs. They looked ok (front was a little dark) but since I had them out, replaced them. Fired up the bike and was replacing tool kit when noticed no lights on the FI 2000. All connections looked good. Rode bike, slight hesitation still there. You really don't feel it at higher speeds.

Questions:

How susceptible are these fuel managers to water? I've been in two horrendous rain storms recently.

Would failure of the FI 2000 cause the hesitation? I have no baseline as bike came with cobra shorts and fuel mgr. I added power flo intake.

Thanks all!

·
Administrator
13,711 Posts
i would think if the FMS stopped working then the bike would just use the ECU's pre-programmed fuel ratio. maybe the hesitation is because now your bike has a leaner fuel mix than you're used to all of a sudden. and where you used to have added power, there is none. i assume you tried reconnecting the unit? seems like no lights=broken

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind what I'm thinking with regards to the ECU. I'll try to troubleshoot the fuel manager but I'm afraid it's shot. The casing is cracked; I dont remember it that way last time I had the seat off. I just had a new battery installed a month ago by a local indy shop. Hmmm

·
Super Moderator
6,790 Posts
Hi Chazz, bevo is correct. If the FMS has quit working the ECU factory settings take over with a loss in performance. I'm hoping for your sake the battery installer didn't crush the FMS unit. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm hoping it's just running lean. Thinking cracked case on FMS + water = bad news. I can't say for sure the battery installer messed it up but..................I read the casings are pretty delicate

·
Registered
7 Posts
Did the battery installer connect the ground wire back up? Did lights come on with just the key on? If not the board may have an issue. I just bought one but have a warranty claim in because after install, bike wouldn't crank ( will turn over). I will have the unit sitting in the tool tray instead of instructions placement. Good luck.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dunno, haven't had time to dig into yet. I think it's toast but will check all the connections and ground. Good suggestion.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did the battery installer connect the ground wire back up? Did lights come on with just the key on? If not the board may have an issue. I just bought one but have a warranty claim in because after install, bike wouldn't crank ( will turn over). I will have the unit sitting in the tool tray instead of instructions placement. Good luck.
No lights at all!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Could not troubleshoot the issue; sometimes shizz just breaks. My mistake for not popping the seat off after the battery install to make sure buttoned up properly.

Ordered a new FI2000R O2 today.......my bad luck is the next owner's good fortune.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ha. Shizzit does seem to happen. Sorry about that. If you're trading it in or selling maybe you could remove the FM and hook it back like stock instead of extra cash outlay.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm putting it up for sale and hoping someone will appreciate the extras. If not, I'll take it back stock and sell off the after market pieces. Or, maybe it won't sell at all and I'll have to keep it. DANG!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dealer installed new Cobra FI2000R and the 1300 is dialed back in. Cured the lean hesitation in lower gears. Service Mgr said they had to tweak the settings of the manager slightly which I thought was odd since the other was set on exactly the presets. Took it out yesterday for 125 miles and all good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts