Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

COBRA PIPES? Yay or nay

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Keith Post 
#1 ·
Some of you might remember seeing my post on my Vance and Hines Classic II's - which I love. However the lower piece is rusted bad on the bike I just picked up (refer to previous posts).
I'm watching the Cobra Powerpro HP 2 into 1 right now on eBay. Wondering if I should look at getting them and putting them on my bike?
A couple of questions...
1) how will the sound vary from my VH Classic II's?
2) Will I need to rejet my carbs which are set up for my VH pipes?

Thanks y'all,

-Matt
2002 vstar 1100 classic
Arkansas & Florida

#2 ·
I have those Cobra pipes on my 1100. I haven't heard the V&H's IRL, but listened to a few on 1100's on youtube for comparison. My guess is that the Cobras will be throatier, louder and with more 'bass/rumble'. More of a 'straight pipe' sound if that makes sense.

I would certainly rejet the carbs any time I changed pipes.

#5 ·
IMO.....the Cobra HP's aren't the best sounding pipes. They are good on the performance side though. You wouldn't need to do any carb work if the bike was already set up for the Classic II's. But you should look at doing an intake change to wake those pipes up. Of course you'd need to do some changes to the carb then.....but you'd also gain 10+ HP.

#6 ·
Hi there,

I just picked up a 2007 1300 Touring and was wondering what you guys think about the Cobra Slip on?

http://www.cobrausa.com/yamaha/v_st..._ons/slip_on_muffler_with_scalloped_tip/2275/

According to this it add's some HP and better sound... Anyone have experience with this slip-on? The Stock Exhaust seems to make some good sounds, but it is a bit quiet. I want something a bit louder, but also would like it to be manageable at highway speeds since my wife and I plan to do a few road trips a year on this bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.