Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Cobra X-tra Longs - 1300 Deluxe

7K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  c7c50 
#1 · (Edited)
Cobra Speedster X-tra Longs - 1300 Deluxe - Review

SEE POST #9 FOR THE REVIEW

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------

Last fall i traded for a '13 1300 Deluxe. It came with Roadburner Street Pros exhaust. since the time i got the deluxe i have been chasing a way to subdue the EXTREME NOISE from the Roadburners. i thought i had it handled with a set of Hard Core baffles installed last fall... until last week when the upper pipe broke on the freeway where the end tip attaches to the pipe. now tip and baffle are gone for good.

Im done with the Roadburners and have a set of Cobra Speedster X-tra Longs ordered to replace them. The Speedster X-tra Longs will reach the rear of the saddlebags where the Roadburners are well short of that.

i am wondering if i will also need a set of the Quiet Core Baffles for the Speedsters or if the extended length of the new pipes will be sufficient the standard baffles.

what is and isn't too loud is a subjective sort of thing, but i would appreciate any input and comments regarding riders experience with Cobra Speedsters.

thanks in advance!

note: there will be a set of used and slightly damaged SUPER LOUD Roadburner Street Pros available very soon for anyone interested. you pay shipping (from 44114) and make me an offer. pipe damage and side view shown below.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
side view pic is of the "blue scoot" before i traded for it. pipes are the RoadBurner Street Pros in that shot are coming off. i have replaced the passenger boards with some chrome Kury's, added nat'l cycle chrome lowers i re-purposed from my previous ride and also some floorboard mounted highway pegs. the new cobras, once i get them, will reach the rear of the saddlebags.

#4 ·
The length of the pipes should make atleast a small difference as the exit will now be farther behind you. Only way to know if baffles are needed for your preference is to throw em on and fire it up.

Reactions: c7c50
#5 ·
Is that a defect or normal on the upper pipe in the picture. Or is it missing the tip?

#9 · (Edited)
Cobra Speedster X-Tra Longs
SKU - 2926T

Install and Initial Review Comments

Install
A buddy and i took about 2.5 hrs doing it at a leisurely pace. Took a couple breaks for coffee and to just sit and talk for a bit. The install was not hard and the instructions supplied were easy to follow. I would say the install could certainly be done solo, but having 4 hands to hang the headers and put on the heat shields worked well for us.

Sound
I love the sound (sorry, i didn’t make any recordings). Compared to the pipes we removed, the “note” and “rhythm” are VERY pleasing to me. the previous set-up was just too harsh and noisy by comparison in my opinion.

Sound Samples by Cobra can be found here:
Speedster X-tra Longs | Full Systems | Motorcycle Exhausts | Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer (07-13) | Cobra USA
NOTE: The photo of the Red Tourer at Cobras.com does NOT show Speedster X-Tra Longs

Decibel Readings (intensity)
using an iPhone App for comparison purposes only, no clue how accurate it really is.

Old Pipes:
Behind the Bike Idle - 97 db
From the Seat Idle - 96 db
Behind the Bike Hold Throttle open some - 102 db
From the Seat Hold Throttle open some - 100 db

Speedster X-Tra Longs:
Behind the Bike Idle - 98 db
From the Seat Idle - 97 db
Behind the Bike Hold Throttle open some - 102 db
From the Seat Hold Throttle open some - 101 db

Even though the db (intensity) readings of the Speedsters are the same or higher than the Old Pipes, my ears are hearing a much more pleasing and quieter sound. I can hear the motor much much better with the new set-up, the exhaust sound is now going out behind the motorcycle, instead of bouncing off the pavement from under the saddle bag.

Sound is made up of more than just the one component of intensity that can be measured by a Decibel Meter. what each person hears and prefers is very subjective when it comes to pitch and tone, but for this rider, the Cobra Speedster X-Tra Longs sound great on my 2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe.

A buddy following me said the new pipes were loud when i got on it, but not harsh, noisy or obnoxious. he also said, “they sound awesome! i love they way your bike sounds now.”

Performance:
we did NOT install any sort of Fuel Management at this time, just swapped the pipes. I have experienced no after-burn on deceleration so far. I feel improved pull in all gears, i.e. it has better giddy up-n-go than before. The motorcycle also performs better up and down hills with almost no lugging, previously it was hard for me to select the best gear in similar situations. is this because of the new pipes performance or my ability to hear the engine better? Maybe some of both, an improvement regardless.

Baffles:
“So far so good” for me with the Standard (open spiral) Cobra Speedster Baffles. I did purchase a pair of the Cobra Quiet Core baffles too have on hand just in case i wanted to tone it down some, but at this point i think i will be returning the unused, unopened Quiet Cores.

I rode about 100 miles of variable riding, including city, freeway, rolling metro-parks, etc, etc. i was wearing a Bell Pit Boss Helmet with my ears exposed. i still need to test ride with my Shoei RJ Platinum Open Face and Arai Vector 2 Full Face Helmets.

Peace

Attachments

#12 · (Edited)
2013 V STAR 1300 DELUXE
Standard Open Spiral Cut Baffles

Rider Head Gear Sound/Comfort Grades
initial grades are with 2-days of riding each varying from 70 to 150 miles total.

NO EAR PLUGS
Bell Pit Boss = A
Shoei RJ Platinum = A-
Arai Vector 2 = C-

WITH EAR PLUGS
Bell Pit Boss = not tested
Shoei RJ Platinum = A
Arai Vector 2 = B-

#13 ·
2013 V STAR 1300 DELUXE
Standard Open Spiral Cut Baffles

UPDATE...

After about 10 days of riding and about 400 miles I swapped out the "Standard Open Spiral Cut Baffles" with the "Cobra Quiet Core Baffles".

For me, the tone and pitch of the Open Baffles at sustained interstate speeds was uncomfortable and distracting, even in the half helmet.

I have just returned from a 1200 mile extended weekend riding the Cobra Quiet Core Baffles w/Bell Pit Boss Half Helmet and i didn't have a single negative thought regarding the sound of the pipes the entire trip.

Peace

#14 ·
Sweet - I can't wait to take my ride out for a decent trip too. I just installed Cobra Speedster Longs with Quiet Core baffles onto my 1100 over the weekend and the difference in the sound (and look) of the bike is night and day. I can feel the sound of the engine now in my chest and I get the feeling that this is how the bike wants to sound, like it's found its voice.

Happy for you buddy - these pipes (and baffles) are the business!

#16 ·
Cobra PowrPro Black fuel management

Cobra PowrPro Black fuel management??

... i am still running my 1300 Deluxe an all Stock set-up with the Cobra Speedster X-tra Longs that were installed last summer. I am super happy with the look and sound of the Speedsters. I am satisfied with the performance, but do still wonder if i should add the Cobra PowrPro Black fuel management. how big of a diff does it make? it's pretty pricey, so i am not sure about the bang for the buck on this one. i would appreciate any new input on this topic. THANKS!

#17 ·
Based on the experience with the upgrades on my 950 and input from Yamaha certified mechanics, adding a fuel processor/management at this point isn't going to do much. Now if you added an open air filter kit, then you'd definitely need one. The biggest performance improvement for me after my exhaust upgrade was the open air filter kit. Yammys are lean and air restrictive from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
thanks keith.

i am not really interested in doing an open air filter kit anyway. also, i will be taking my 1300 deluxe to the dealer soon for some scheduled maintenance and new rear rubber. i will see how the performance is after that.

#20 ·
The 2013 Blue Scoot got some new rear rubber and a full tune up about 3 weeks ago. it is certainly running better with better response on acceleration. i put in a new air filter early last season and it was more than ready to be replaced, i'm thinking i will check it about about 5000mi and replace it sooner than this last one that had about 11000mi on it. the old spark plugs were in good condition. overall, it is running the best it ever has since i traded for it in Aug of 2015. bottom line, i am going to stick with the OEM air intake and pass on the pricey Cobra Fuel management. it's a 700lb cruiser and it does everything it should do very well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.