Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Premium Member
108 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let my strat sit since Thanksgiving due to having surgery. Went out this weekend to start it and found battery dead, charged battery too full but it wouldnt start just tried to turn over 3 or 4 times never really fully turning over then nothing when hitting start button not even a click, checked batt its still full with good CCA's main fuse is good all lights work and have a code 12 on dash. I see code 12 will show if start switch is hit to many times. Not sure where to go from here.

· Registered
2,463 Posts
Reaction score
Hope this helps.

· Premium Member
108 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally got a chance to try the starter relay. I jumped across the relay terminals, the starter wont turn the engine over before the jumper wire turns cherry red. Its like the engine is locked up. Next I will remove the plugs and try to turn it over. There is no reason for the engine to be locked up its been inside since last run. Thought about putting it in 2nd gear and try to rock the engine over but worried that if its hydrolocked I could bend a connecting rod.

· Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
15,527 Posts
Reaction score
Finally got a chance to try the starter relay. I jumped across the relay terminals, the starter wont turn the engine over before the jumper wire turns cherry red. Its like the engine is locked up. Next I will remove the plugs and try to turn it over. There is no reason for the engine to be locked up its been inside since last run. Thought about putting it in 2nd gear and try to rock the engine over but worried that if its hydrolocked I could bend a connecting rod.
Won't hyperlock with plugs out for testing.

Reactions: Brad_G and CBjamie

· Super Moderator
2008 Yamaha Road Star Silverado (Gray, hard bags, etc.)
1,580 Posts
Reaction score
Do you have a bike lift? Hydrolocked seems very unlikely on a modern fuel injected air cooled engine. But as @lesblank says, pull a plug from each cylinder. That will make it easy to put in 2nd and try moving the bike. That will rule out any physical obstruction/mechanical issue. Then it will be troubleshooting electrical.

· Super Moderator
1,580 Posts
Reaction score
I do have a lift table. I know it’s unlikely to be hydro locked but at a lose as to what is happening.
I was thinking a jack type of lift, but a table would be fine as well. Just figured if it's strapped down and the rear wheel is off the ground it would be easy to pull a plug on each cylinder and then put in 2nd and turn the wheel by hand. Give you a chance to easily make sure things are moving as intended.

Just looking back at your post a little closer. Did you load test your battery or just use a volt meter? Sometimes a load test will tell a little more than just a voltage test.

On my Road Star there is a decompression solenoid that opens the exhaust valve to help the starter crank the engine over. I presume the 'liner series uses something similar. If you have a service manual you may want to look and make sure that's in adjustment. Also check fuses as that solenoid would probably be run by a fused circuit.

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,262 Posts
Reaction score
What size wire did you use to jumper the relay contacts? If a smaller wire than is going to the starter itself it wouldn't be too surprising to heat it up quickly and not provide enough current to spin the starter. If the same size as is going to the starter you've got something locked up tight...maybe even the starter itself.

· Premium Member
108 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used a 8 gauge wire. The starter engages and try's to turn the engine but seems to have some sort of obstruction. Thing is the bike started and ran without issue before it was left sit.

· Super Moderator
1,580 Posts
Reaction score
I used a 8 gauge wire. The starter engages and try's to turn the engine but seems to have some sort of obstruction. Thing is the bike started and ran without issue before it was left sit.
I presume this start relay is similar to that in the Road Star. If so, you're 8ga wire has to provide all the cranking amperage from the battery to the starter. It might be a bit undersized for what your asking it to do. Also, (from what I've heard on the RS clinic site) the start button triggers the decompression solenoid. So if you're just jumping the two large posts you're probably not getting the decompression release and coupled with an undersized wire that could make it seem locked up. The starter doesn't have enough juice to roll past full compression stroke.

· Premium Member
108 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I did jump across the relay terminals, When I first charged the battery, the start button turned the engine over a couple time but it didn't start, that's when i got the 12 code. The start button hasn't worked since

· Premium Member
108 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok so the sitter will turn the engine over if I jump the relay while holding the start button. Now just have to figure why the start button is not engaging the relay.

· Premium Member
'18 SVTC
1,262 Posts
Reaction score
My guess is the starter relay is bad.

Sounds like the start button is doing its job by opening the compression release, so it's ok. If you haven't already, check for 12V at the starter relay coil when pressing the start button. If 12V is there, the starter relay is being commanded to start but not actually engaging, so the starter relay is bad. If no 12v at the starter relay coil, then it's a safety switch (kickstand, in gear, etc.) or wiring problem from start button to starter relay coil.

· Super Moderator
1,580 Posts
Reaction score
My guess is the starter relay is bad.

Sounds like the start button is doing its job by opening the compression release, so it's ok. If you haven't already, check for 12V at the starter relay coil when pressing the start button. If 12V is there, the starter relay is being commanded to start but not actually engaging, so the starter relay is bad. If no 12v at the starter relay coil, then it's a safety switch (kickstand, in gear, etc.) or wiring problem from start button to starter relay coil.
@CBjamie, I'm leaning to what AlanRides says above, it sounds like a faulty relay. If I recall correctly these are the same symptoms a Road Star will have when it's bad.

This is from a Road Star service manual, but it would appear to me that if the decompression solenoid is working then all the appropriate safety switches should be working.

Font Parallel Rectangle Schematic Slope

1 - 20 of 20 Posts