Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been checking the valve clearance on my 2001 650 Classic this weekend. Both exhausts needed just a little bit of tightening up. While I was putting the shiny bits on the front cylinder, I noticed the plug wire was dangling... without the Spark Plug Cap. Took a pic to post here... was going to purchase a new Ignition Coil Module and noticed - it doesn't come with the spark plug cap. That's a separate part. What's the deal with that? Can I just shove that wire back in and go?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,457 Posts
The wire is separate from the boot. The wire should twist into the cap.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Follow up: This can't be right. The Coil is almost $90 and the Spark Plug Cap Assembly (Assembly?) is over $30? And there's a difference between the front and rear cylinder Cap Assy? With different prices? What is up with this?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lesblank... you say it should twist in. As in, there should be some threaded part or, are you saying just twist and push until it won't go in any further? What about the copper corrosion you can see in the picture? Any cause for concern?

(Thanks for the quick reply!)

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,457 Posts
I have cut about 1/4 inch off wire to obtain clean wire, not much, not a lot of extra wire. The center of wire get pushed into the section that is sticking up inside boot. Hope that made sense.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah, it does. In fact, after looking a little closer, I'd come to the same conclusion. Also washed out most of the corroded copper from the wire side of the cap with 90% Isopropyl. Will blow it out now and; thinking about putting a squirt of dielectric grease in there (both to ease re-insertion and, as a water barrier).

Edit to add - I lopped off a little less than 1/4" by eye. The blade caught up on good copper before it cut through. So, good wire to the cap... cap cleaned of all the loose corrosion. Thanks for the Saturday night help, lesblank! Now to get those carbs back in and finish this job up!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts