Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd do a lot more cold weather riding if I could just keep my hands warm! I currently have a pair of non-insulated (or very lightly) leather gloves for my primary riding gloves. Does the group here have any recommendations for cold weather gloves?

I have the Oxford Hothands heated over-grips installed; this helps my palm and fingers stay somewhat warm. The wind moving over the top of my hand and fingers though - still leave them a bit cold. I bought a pair of "work gloves" at a gas station that I put over my leathers - it helped a little, but I'd much rather just have a nice looking pair of gloves to wear.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I have a pair of Gerbing heated gloves - comes with a wire harness to connect to the battery.

Observation this morning here in N.E.

All the leaves are brown
And the sky is gray
My hands are warm
The rest of me is blue
:D

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't know what brand they are, but I have a pair of leather gauntlet-style gloves. They have vinyl rain covers that store in a pouch on the back of each glove. I put the covers on for some additional wind protection, and it seems to make a big difference. It was 28 degrees on my ride to work this morning, which is 18 miles, all highway, and my fingers weren't even slightly cold :) (toes were a different story :p). I don't know how much farther I'd want to go without some additional protection but it works for me.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I have a pair of, essentially, snowmobile gloves. They are NOT ideal in terms of feel and control manipulation but, given that the Strat has very few controls to manipulate vs. say, a HD, it's not a problem.

They are safe in terms of not slipping off the controls, just rather cumbersome. I view it as a challenge, an easy challenge, to get used to them, turn signal, clutch work, throttle and break. I can hit the horn and hi beams as well, no problems, just some getting used to.

It's them or not ride at this point and not riding is not an option.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have several pair of gloves. To ride to work and back I use winter gloves that have thinsulate. They work okay for the 20 min commute. For longer rides, I slide a hand warmer packet in the tops of them.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
oh man - you guys would love heated gloves. I'm telling the truth when I say sometimes I need to go faster to cool them down. I doubt that excuse would buy my way out of a speeding ticket.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've already put my bike away for the winter.
If I wanted to ride in the cold, I'd buy a snowmobile.;)

·
Registered
778 Posts
As I have typed before, we only have a couple of weeks of cold weather most of the time so I just wear sweat pants over jeans and under the chaps, with a fleece under a leather jacket and a fleece face mask. I picked up a pair of leather gloves at a motorcycle show a few years ago that are made for winter riding. So far I've not gotten cold enough to turn around and go home before I was ready to turn around and go home.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Quite a few years ago in tech school I rode a week in single digits. cold enough to ice my carburetors and ice the inside of my non-vented full face shield. Jeans and long-johns below and a ski jacket up top all covered in a rubberized rain suit. Insulated boots and Gortex Survival mittens lined with Thinsulate and additional wool liners.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've been known to ride in below-zero weather. Best pair of biker gloves I had were a pair of ski gloves. They allowed no wind through. They eventually wore out though. I bought a pair of leather gauntlets last year but they aren't all that wind-proof.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have always used ski gloves, 35 degs is my limit. I ride almost every day, just wait till 11 am instead of 8 am. I'm Retired.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ski gloves are good, I have used them when I lived up North, but another thing that works if you don't ride in enough cold to justify heated gloves or grips, is to wear rubber surgical gloves inside a pair of lightly insulated leather gloves.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a cheap pair of insulated gloves, each glove uses one D battery that stores in a snap cover pocket , a bit bulky but keeps chill of my hands and they were only about 20.00, i used last winter, rode four times in the 30s and survived. i rode today in the low 40s and my regular gloves got cold hands

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have a cheap pair of insulated gloves, each glove uses one D battery that stores in a snap cover pocket , a bit bulky but keeps chill of my hands and they were only about 20.00, i used last winter, rode four times in the 30s and survived. i rode today in the low 40s and my regular gloves got cold hands
Where did you get them?

·
Registered
778 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks, It got cold here early this year, 26 this morning and 30 this morning. So much for the unusually warm winter eh?
I'm in Columbus OH and it's getting to the point where I'm thinking twice about riding in the morning. The gloves I linked to have to be a little bulky with a D battery in them - there are a few styles in my googling that you can choose from for a power source (as an aside, none seem to get excellent reviews across the board on amazon.com)

1. single D battery
2. 3 aa batteries
3. li-ion rechargable batt
4. wire-to-bike style (runs off power of bike's electrical system)

I'm thinking of going the wire-to-bike style, just because it would be nice to have a liner and gloves all linked together with temp controls... we'll see though, that pushes the price up a little. The 950 that I own has more than enough excess current capacity to push all of this equipment at once if needed.

·
Registered
249 Posts
These are what I got. They are a little bulky, however, if i am riding in 25-40F weather, i also have a lot of bulk clothes on also, so it takes some focus when you are driving in cold weather with the bulky garb. Although they are inexpensive and do stay warm, you just need to add a D cell in each glove, i think I used last winter about four times for 2 hour trips each and dont ever recal replacing batteries i keep batteries removed for storage. the 20 vs 150-200 dollar price for the limited amount i used them was appealing to me. Hope this helps

http://www.heated-gloves.com/thinsulate-heated-gloves-p-8531.html?cPath=1246

1 - 20 of 41 Posts