Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was about to purchase a Roadstar, then I started thinking about a Stryker or a Raider. How comfortable would would these radical looking bikes be for round trips of about 500 miles and has anyone put bags on them cause I need to carry things. I have never sat on a S or a R. I am 5' 5" how far forward are the controls ?

JaBo

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
The look

I have not ridden those bikes, but some thoughts. Only you will be able to decide what is right for you. I have a friend about your height he looked at a Liner, but bought a Roadstar Silverado because his feet were flat on the ground. The Raodstar is the Yamaha with the most accessories.

The Stryker and Radier no doubt have the better look. You might ask would they still look as cool if you put on bags and windshield? It's what fits your riding style.

Dave

·
Registered
36 Posts
I did the Stryker demo ride a few weeks ago. It's a comfortable bike to sit on, I'm a little taller than you at 5'11", but the ride is more than a little harsh. It's a stiff sporty suspension compared to the Roadstar's plush ride. I'd say a few 500 mile rides here are there could be done, but it you plan to go anymore than that or even 500 miles more than a couple of time a year, I'd look away from the Stryker. Thats just my opinion though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I guess I found out for myself on this comfort question. I guess it depends on what kind shape the driver is in and how much you ride. I ride a bicycle a lot so being three hours in the saddle of a 650 custom is no problem for me. If you only ride once a month and for only one hour then I guess you need a recliner on wheels. I ride every day except if it rains and from what I can see ,for me The Striker only needs some heal rests and some cushy grips. even the seat feels good.
I am trying to decide between the Harley 72 or this V Star Stryker and man Iv got to tell you I lke this Stryker.

JaBo

·
Registered
94 Posts
Never been on. Styker, but have had my Raider since Nov. it is a little uncomfortable on longer rides, the seat is pretty firm and the suspension is harsh. I have softened the rear which helped but when my wife rides on the back it is alot smoother ride. All in all I love my Raider!!!!! The power is pretty damn nice too. :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
my buddy just bought a stryker and I was the first one to ride his bike home for him , I like it the looks comfort yes for a round trip 500-600 miles is doable anything more Id stick to my stratoliner, :D

just put on the arlen ness tear drop mirrors today, engine guard, and were putting on the side engine chrome covers and grips on Monday .

·
Registered
369 Posts
I love my Stryker. 12,000+ miles on it. I am just under 5'6", 30" inseam. Fits me like a glove. I live in the pacific coast mountains of northern Cali. Grizzly Mountain. Zenia. Redwoods.. Really rugged roads up here. full of pot holes, gravel sections I ride daily. The suspension is a little stiffer than the v stars and liners, but it has a preload adjustment for the rear shock that helps and it's way more fun to ride.

My wife has a v star 950. She has replaced the seat with an exspencive one but says my stock seat is still more comfortable than hers. I agree.

We just spent 8 hrs out on the bikes today and we do that regularly. We spend anywhere from 1 to 3 hrs non stop depending on the roads we are traveling on. We always pack cold weather and rain gear because up here you never know when it's going to rain or snow.

We did a 3,000 mile trip in 2 weeks last summer. From here to Tahoe down hwy 395 to the San Diego mountains to Big Bear to Yosemite back to Tahoe then home. Averaging between 300 and 450 miles per day of mostly mountain roads. Camping out most of the time. More than 10 hrs a day in the saddle..

Saddle bags are a bit of a problem if you want large ones because of the pipes. But with some ingenuity it can be done here are a few pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
As you can see I've tried three different inexpensive throw overs but come to the conclusion for the size bags I want I need to get different pipes.
If you want to know how good it feels to sit on a Stryker just look at the expression on the girls face in the 5th pic. lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
369 Posts
Here is my favorite bags.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm just under 5' 11", and I find my Stryker to be really comfortable. I've covered 400 miles in 7 hours with no problem. I would think that the only issue you might have is reach to the bars. Not sure how much room there is for adjustment in that, but you should know pretty quickly if it doesn't feel right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i think the Stryker rides pretty nice, i think my max day this summer was only 300 miles though, mostly twisty mountain roads so it took all day. I have the low and mean solo seat which is pretty sweet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts