Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Comfortable Seat????

20K views 35 replies 18 participants last post by  MrBig 
#1 ·
I was wondering what the stock seat on a strato is like. The seat on my V-Star is soft but after a couple of hours of riding my tail bone is painfully sore. The same thing for my wife riding on the back.
I was thinking about getting a new bike and I really like the strato. Is the stock seat decent or should I go right out a purchase a Mustang for it? Thanks.

#2 ·
Try the Ultimate Seat Company ... great saddles

The stock seat is good for short trips but for comfort I would go with the Ultimate Seat company seat .This is what I have on mine and my wife and I just made a 2500 mile trek with it and when we got home 7 days later she was ready for more .They make a direct fit custom seat that will look just like the factory seat plus you have the option of having a rider back rest or not .Check it out I am glad I did and I know several riders with the same seat and are very please as well .

#3 ·
I agree, the xv1900 seats are uncomfortable, for several reasons, not the least of which is the thickness and width. I fixed that by shaving the seat down 2 1/2 inches and narrowing the foam to make the seat more comfortable for me. Oddly enough the seat is alot softer and with my 30" inseam it sits alot better too and it cost me 0$

#4 ·
Have a Stratoliner s-2007

I have the same problem..I just purchased a set of jell seats pads for my seat.and passenger....thank god I got a good deal...the seat is lousy...for a $16,000 bike it stinks...the whole bike is not user friendly (maintenace) ...the pads where used..it seems to help a little..I could go on and on about this bike..(problems)....but I can tell you one thing its not a VALKYRIE INTERSTATE...man do I miss that bike....keep in touch

#5 ·
Hey,, I got a 2008 Stratoliner. Got 4500 miles and I haven't ever had an aftermarket seat. I do know that after 100 miles more or less my rear is kinda numb and sore. I have to get gas every 120 to 140 miles so I end up doing some minor walking and stretching and stalling before I take off again. Once I was in a hurry and after a couple of hundred miles the trip began to not be fun. I was thinking about a Mustang and I never heard of the Ultimate kind? I definitely not skilled enough to be altering the original seat myself. But the cost on the Mustang is agood 600 for both I havent checked on the other one mentioned in this thread.. It sound really good. In my mind I just assumed you couldnt really have agood seat for long rides. I am very interested in the thought of taking a long trip in comfort.

#6 ·
I've switched this season to a Hartco International seat and I'm very happy. The stock seat had me howling after 70 miles or so. I'm a tad on the big side - 6'7", 290 lbs - and they made a custom seat with backrest. It's the single best investment I've made for my 2006 'liner. They're great folks to deal with and work real hard to get it right.

#7 ·
I went to the reviews on Mustang and Ultimate and honestly I didn't check out the Hartco... I been really busy and hadn't had a chance to come and review this Starbike forum and your input MacGregor...

So the more I researched the more the Ultimate came out on top... I have purchased the whole 4 piece package from Ultimate which is a chunk of money to say the least. Everyone I talked to with an ultimate seat was more than 100% happy.. Way more!!! I got mixed feelings on the Mustang . I stopped short as the men I talked to with the Ultimate were adamant about satisfaction...

When I get it in which should be maybe 2 weeks, I will post my thoughts again..Thanks for the help

#8 ·
I talked with the folks at Ultimate first. When I told them about my size, they were honest and said they didn't think the seat would work for me. They said it would probably move the seating position too far forward. Ya gotta appreciate a company that would rather lose the sale then sell you something they don't think you'd be happy with. They do look a far sight better than the stocker.

Hope it gets you where you want to be.

#9 ·
Thanks MacGregor... I have a lot to learn about this extra stuff. The thought of calling these seat companies and seeing what they say never occured to me...

I am 6'1" and weigh a solid 260lbs. I made all my calculations based on the new seat being an inch higher. On the stock seat I find myself always trying to kinda get up on the back incline of my seat just a little and it feels more comfortable. Of course I can't stay there long as I am not sitting down fully in the seat.

WE shall see how it goes, I'll be back with my assessments...

#11 ·
I am 6'1" and weigh a solid 260lbs. I made all my calculations based on the new seat being an inch higher. On the stock seat I find myself always trying to kinda get up on the back incline of my seat just a little and it feels more comfortable. Of course I can't stay there long as I am not sitting down fully in the seat.
I'm like you , my legs are plenty long so i do the same to change riding position on the stock seat. They make the seats that way (extra firm) because they want you to buy aftermarket or factory upgrades. they all do that. i bought a Mustang seat with back rest on 12/11/09 and 12" wide pillion seat off ebay for $417.00 and it looks great. new prices put it in the $720.00 range. its cold here in minnesota and by the time i got the pilloin seat switched, both the seats were pretty firm from the cold (6 deg F). i sat on it anyway and noticed the support you get right away. that was with the back rest off. i put the back rest on and it felt like my favorite easy chair. i can hardly wait for spring to try it out actually driving. the kickstand gets boring after a while and my lips ice up from making the motor noise.

#10 ·
Thought about Starpegs?

Sounds like you might be looking to stretch your legs too. I've got Starpegs, from Tipps Cycle Specialties. They're highway pegs that attach to the floorboards. They give you a way to unkink your knees while under way. Good way to to add highway pegs if you don't have crashbars.

#12 ·
2000 vstar 1100 custom
i am looking for some comfort improvements in seating. i have stock seats , driver has a sheepskin. i am ordering the beadrider seat covers hoping it will improve comfrot some, about $30.00. I am also looking at a driver backrest for about 85.00 from

http://www.grasshopperlimited.com/Yamaha.html

do others have any experience sing the beads and sheepskin cover for seat. i dont want to invest 700 in a new seat right now.

i dont go on too long trips and normally stop every 100 miles for gas and walk around.

i didnt want to spend too much money on the bike if i plan to sell in a few years.

thanks for all your insights

#14 ·
thanks, ill try the beads and sheepskin for now, i know the ultra and the mustang are nice seating systems and I like them, i dont really think my plans for riding distances(100 mile trips normally) justify the expense. I do plan on adding a backrest because i have heard it helps comfort and my back would probably benefit also. My vstar generally is pretty comfortable to me, it is fun to ride, and i just started and enjoying it. I recently added Lindy highway bars and really like them and continue to do a few simple , inexpensive upgrades, the bike is very reliable, smooth running and fun. enjoy and ride safely.

#15 ·
i bought the airhawk and didnt like it. it allowed to much side to side movement and wasn't comfortable after a while. my wife seemed to like it alot compared to sitting on the stock seat. she hasn't tried the new mustage seat yet. i got the airhawk off ebay and spent 1/2 price for it and it was brand new, still had all the tags on it and other literature. if the wife likes the mustang seat i will sell the airhawk to reclaim some money spent. also the mustang seat looks much better that the stock seat and has steel construction instead of plastic like the stock seat. seems to be very high quality. leather is riveted on instead of staples. i think the sheep skin may be your best bet as it seems the stock seat is just to firm for long riding and it is the extra padding that is what is needed. good luck with you choice's.

#16 ·
Mustang Seats

My 2006 Stratoliner S came with the Mustang driver/passenger seat combo already installed. I also recieved the original seats wrapped in the Mustang box.

I don't know what the original seats feal like but I can routinely put 200+ miles on my Stratoliner and not have complaints from my rear-end.

My only complaint about the Stratoliner is the :mad:Yamaha Speedstar pipes ($600.00+ new) it also came with:mad:. One single WV winter storage under a breathable cover in my car port ruined them -- chrome pitted with rust. No problem with all the rest of the bike's chrome. I still have them installed (they get a detailing every year and look ok from a distance) and will probably put the original pipes back on eventually. For right now I am enjoying the custom ignition map that gives me :D86.9HP and 116lbs of torque:D.

#17 ·
Under cover

My Stratoliner is under a cover in an unheated damp garage. So I put a light bulb in a trouble light under it and a battery tender in hopes that the little extra heat will keep it dry.

I guess the Horsepower and torque you mention is at the wheel. Stock at the motor is 101 HP and 124 Ft lbs.

Dave

#18 ·
At wheel vs motor

My Stratoliner is under a cover in an unheated damp garage. So I put a light bulb in a trouble light under it and a battery tender in hopes that the little extra heat will keep it dry.

I guess the Horsepower and torque you mention is at the wheel. Stock at the motor is 101 HP and 124 Ft lbs.

Dave
Don't know about the rating at the motor end but 87 and 116 at the wheel is more than stock.

#19 ·
HP

From Motorcycle Daily Dec 2005, When I bought my Liner in 06 I saw several articles like this.

With a claimed 101 horsepower and 124 pound feet of torque at the crank, it is hard to imagine the Stratoliner ever straining under the load of a passenger or luggage, no matter how heavy. Passing power was always plentiful, and Yamaha's claim that this machine out-accelerated Honda's VTX1800 and Kawasaki's Vulcan 2000 seems credible after a long day in the saddle.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/13december05_yamaha_starmotorcycles.htm

Here is a link to D&D's site click on the link to Dyno chart just above the picture of the bike. Shows stock torque of 107 and Just under 90 HP stock. I have seen several articles putting these numbers in that area.

http://www.danddexhaust.com/catalog/2007/03/51712b.htm

Dave

#20 ·
An option you may want to look at for seats if you are on a tight budget is rebuilding your stock seat. A company called Ride & Leather, out of Jonesboro IN, does rebuilds with Jell honeycomb and 3 different densities of memory foam. Looks like a stock seat and rides like a mustang.

ridenleather.com

They had a side by side comparison of identical seats, at a bike event I went to, with and without their service, and it was night and day difference. Rebuild on a solo seat is $129 plus shipping.

#21 ·
rebuilt seat

Rebuild on a solo seat is $129 plus shipping.
your rite on there. i have a buddy that i keep updated on upgrades and he does the same. neither of us can't afford a new mustang seat and he is looking a rebuilding it and told me a price quote very close to the one you mentioned. they are local so dropping off was no problem. this rebuild was for new or added foam and gell pads and to have the seat "reshaped" which means to fit his crotch/ass area. he said something in the 125 - 150 range. this is a fraction of a mustang and he will have a better seat if all goes as planned. i think i got a good deal on ebay. got the vintage mustang seat with backrest and the 12" wide pillion seat for 417.00 and new its 720.00 or higher for the set. seat looks great and feels much better than stock. i'm gettin tired of winter and want to ride again. just bought a roadhouse slip-on pipe yesterday of ebay. 305.00 saved 60 - 80 bucks.

#22 ·
Cold sucks

This don't have to do with seats, but what you said, Brain, about the cold, those of us who love to ride and live to ride that don't live in the southland, this cold stuff really sucks, Ol Sugar Bear for one, is really gettin antsy for some road time, don't look good right now, big snow and extra brutal cold comin in, bummer!

#28 ·
I am a little biased as I loved my Ultimate seat.. when they do bike week in Daytona they might have them discounted again. I seen them for a couple hundred less.
But a good seat maker can rework your seat and may make it perfect for you. If your short Ultimate makes a lower version seat too and narrower on the inside of legs makes it easier to reach ground.. but thats what a good seat redoo can do for you as well.
Good Luck with choice and whatever anyone recommends make sure you sit on one to see if your happy.

#30 ·
Lasting Impressions

I have found the seat on my Roadliner very comfortable and have no need to change it. My wife agrees that it is the most comfortable of all the bikes in our 37 years of riding together. I bought my bike on a Friday and headed to the mountains of NC and took it back to the dealer on the following Tuesday for the 600 mile tune-up, oil change and such. It actually had close to 1000 miles on it and they were shocked but the bike is so exciting to ride that it is easy to go long distances with a thrill.:cool:

#31 ·
I have found the seat on my Roadliner very comfortable and have no need to change it. My wife agrees that it is the most comfortable of all the bikes in our 37 years of riding together. I bought my bike on a Friday and headed to the mountains of NC and took it back to the dealer on the following Tuesday for the 600 mile tune-up, oil change and such. It actually had close to 1000 miles on it and they were shocked but the bike is so exciting to ride that it is easy to go long distances with a thrill.:cool:
Hello Curve-Lover243,
You are one of the very few I have heard that has no complaint about the stock seat,
I'm glad it doesn't bother you, more $$ for other mods.

We went to Star Days 2009, (about 1900mi roundtrip),
and when we got home,the better half and I both agreed,
we're getting a new set of Ultimates before the next big trip, ouch :(

Regards,

#36 ·
I've tried Ultimate both the regular seat and the thicker mid-rider seat. I'm 6 ft and 242. With long legs so with my size and the bike ergonomics I get alot of pressure on my butt. The mid-rider seat did help but still had problems. Just bought some highway pegs hoping that a position change would help. Hard to decide when you can't check out a seat before you buy that is except for Ultimate. They're made around the corner from me in Toronto and gave me 14 days to try out the seat. Sorry Ultimate didn't work for me.

Is there anyone in the Toronto Ontario area with a Stratoliner and an aftermarket seat? Happy or not happy? Could I have a seat ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.