Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of threads concerning motorcycle seats not being comfortable. I've never been uncomfortable on any motorcycle seat. Am I the only "hard ass"? Ok, I do a lot of fishing and spend many hours on hard wooden or aluminum boat seats and even sitting on an upturned 5 gallon plastic pail when ice fishing. Sure, after the first day of fishing, my bum hurts a bit but that does not last long. I do find that some car seats are not comfortable but that is because my underwear (boxer shorts) ride up. Boxer shorts are the most comfortable in my case.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
A little too much info there. I think it all comes down to: there is no one seat that is best for everyone.

If you are up to the task, you can modify your MC stock seat to make it better for you. Depending on what part bothers you, the foam can be cut down, added to, or cutting a groove down the middle for your tail bone helps a lot of people.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Everything about the 950 seat hurt, but it was ok for <1hour.
My ninja zx1100 seat I never had an issue with.
Other than that, I never was on a bike long enough to care. Honda Hawk 450, kawasaki z400, hayabusa.

·
Super Moderator
4,509 Posts
Two weeks ago drove 8 hours with only gas and lunch break on a stock 1100 seat on day one. Day two was was a little over 6 hours and another 8 hours on day three. Could it been better, sure, but not bad at all. I did just buy wife new Ultimate passenger seat. That stock passenger seat was not good for her any more than an hour. With her new seat she didn't need any extra stops on trip to rest her behind.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I understand exactly where you are coming from Dabluz. My rear end endurance was born from very long deer seasons here in Alabama. Bow season starts around the 15th of October, feeds right into gun season on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and is non-stop until the 10th of Feb. I spend the majority of my time in the woods in those months, several hours a day. I sit on just about anything out there, rock, tree stump, hard metal chairs, sometimes even the ground itself. Point being, that during hunting I don't even dare to shift my butt much. So just being able to do that helps on a motorcycle. I also used to have a 650 custom that I spent a lot of time on. Worst seat Yamaha makes in my opinion, and that is the one I rode 650 miles in one day on. Since that custom, I have found just about every other MC seat very comfortable.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
this is the website that inspired me to modify the seat on my 650 Classic, and the result is much better than it was:

Home

for me the two big improvements were cutting a groove down the middle so I'm not sitting on my tailbone

and putting about a 1/4" of foam on the front 6" stopped me from sliding up into the gas tank on every single freaking bump in the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts