Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Star Bike Community Members,

Over the past year, there have been updates to your community environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance.

We sincerely apologize if you have been negatively impacted. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software on the site. Once we started looking at how to address these issues, it became clear that we needed to determine how to fix the underlying problems.

We needed to improve user experience, site speed, and overall performance, all while providing a secure environment for you to interact with your community. For the past few months, we have been actively seeking a resolution to these issues.

We are excited to announce that we are upgrading your site!! We have been working with a design and product development team that has enhanced Xenforo software to provide a modern and much better-performing platform. Our goal is to deliver an experience that better fits the current and growing long term needs of your community.

The new platform is designed for efficiency, stability, and to be user-friendly across all devices, including mobile. More time can be spent engaging, sharing, and contributing to your favorite community no matter where you are!

This is just the first stage of the new platform and we look forward to hearing your feedback as we make regular and timely improvements.

Thank you for all your support!

~ Community Support

·
Administrator
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dear Community Members,

We have posted previous messages announcing a new platform coming to your community that will provide a better experience, faster page speed and work seamlessly across all devices, including mobile. We are excited to announce that Starbikeforums.com will be migrated to our new platform on Thursday, November 7th. The site will be in maintenance mode and in read-only while the migration is happening. This is expected site behavior as we move all the archived content over to the new sites. There should be no change in the content within your profile. All thread content will also be migrated to the new site. Your community may look a little different but all of the important information will still be there!

If for any reason there is a change of date, we will keep you updated on an alternative rollout schedule for the site migration. We look forward to your feedback on the new experience.

We appreciate your support!

~ Community Support

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,073 Posts
Is the new platform simular to the Vulcan Forum of another one of the forum you host? I'm looking forward to site updates to enhance our experience.

·
2,370 Posts
I'm a member of the Vulcan forum and I do like the new format there. One thing that's missing is the Recent Discussions on the right, which is where I usually go first. But, maybe there's a way to turn it on I haven't found yet. In any case, I will adjust.

·
5,073 Posts
NortherRider, I received a PM from another member here that is also a member of the Vulcan forum and voiced concern if we go to that format. The Vulcan forum recently went to that format and is a hosted by Verticalscope like ours. I joined the Vulcan forum so I could check it out. The look is different but many, if not most, features that I like about our are still there. I really like the way you can import pictures, super easy. I've been posting in the testing forum, seeing how it looks, then deleting it. Bet I'm driving the Moderators crazy over there. :). You were talking about Recent Discussions, it's there, see screenshot below, click #1, drop down #2 has New Posts tab. I normally hit the Active Topics tab on our site and get an overview of all new discussions. I'm a creature of habit and don't always agree that change is better, but if new format is similar to the Vulcan Forum, I could easily adjust. Their forum does load faster and seems to switch pages quickly without much lag.

·
2,370 Posts
Thanks Les. I had a feeling it was a user problem hehe

·
Administrator
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The format is going to be very similar to what you see over at Vulcan. Will be the same software here as is being used there.

There is going to be a bit of an adjustment when the change happens, but in the end it's still just forum software, and though buttons will be in different places then before, they will still have the same function

Kevin

·
5,073 Posts
Is there a Beta version? I'll volunteer if you need feedback.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Les, I warned you about this. The Xenforo format is hideous. But there's nothing you can do about it as the Motorcycle.Com Admin team doing this will talk about wanting to hear from us and how great it'll all be. That's bull in its finest form. Go to Vulcanforums.com and see for yourselves. What garbage!

It is a TOTAL different look and feel to it. Not only that but what they are bound and determined to do, hell-bent to do, is to change it to that hideous look and feel. If you like this format as it is now, say goodbye to this forum as zero amount of input you give them will make a difference. They WILL change to the hideous Xenforo software look and if you don't like it, then hit the road. It'll be just fine for them as they work behind the scenes but for us folks out here in the real world, we're screwed.

They won't tell you to hit the road of course but I argued like a SOB not to change to that look to no avail. E-mail campaigns to Motorcycle.Com AND their parent company made no difference. And I mean a LOT of e-mails and I was not the only person doing that. We may as well have spoken to Forest Gump. I know a solid handful of people in various other forums that switched to Xenforo and to a person, they've dropped out of those forums. Heck, one was one of my own sons that complained about some truck forum he was in (don't know which one) that just switched to Xenforo and he dropped out of that forum, too. None of them could stand the horrendous look and feel of the Xenforo software.

To Northern Rider: I was a member in the Vulcanforums.com for a decent amount of time too with over 1100 posts. It was by far my favorite forum and almost identical to this one in form/function/feel and good people in it. I HATE to see another great forum go into the toilet. But that is exactly what they'll do to it. The part about the change that bothered me the most was what I felt was arrogance by the Administrative team to state how they wanted our input and suggestions but then did what they wanted to do anyway and effectively blew us off. People didn't have a problem of upgrading behind-the-scenes stuff but the visual format and basic user interface and experience issues were CLEARLY expressed to them numerous times but...…. Oh yeah, they say they'll try to streamline things and make the experience better. Be prepared to hear the "spin machine" in action.

This is my last posting here. I refuse to sit through this ^&* again. It was good to be here for a while but I personally refuse to have any dealings with anything associated with Motorcycle.Com anymore. Nice being in here guys. Good luck finding alternative forums.

Of course, all that I've said is in my humble opinion.

·
5,073 Posts
750 Chris, your input is noted. Sorry to see you go. I'm tempted to delete your post (another moderator might) as it has no documentation to your statements and might close the mind to others for a new format. I make the following statements without being influenced by the administrators or any others from the hosting site. I joined the Vulcan forum to explore the format that you sent me a PM about. I've spent some time there to find the short comings you are referring to, didn't find many. Is it different, yes. Will it take some time to adjust, yes. Are there things about the format I would have done differently, possibly. Can I easily post, yes. Can I explore all posts, yes. Can I easily read it, yes. Are signatures easily made, yes. Can I post pictures, YES. I'm big on posting pictures and the new format makes it super easy. Does the search option work, yes. Is there a new post option, yes. Is the a place simular to our garage, yes, call showcase. Able to like a comment or post, yes. Able to quote, yes. Able to send a PM, yes and appears not to have a limit. Able to cut and paste info into post, yes. Forum easily opened, readable and fast on my tablet which I use over 90% of the time, yes. Works on phone good, yes. Work on desktop, yes. I joined the Vstar forum and stayed here after joining all that I could find to educate myself on a new ride. The Vstar forum has been busy at times and a little slower at other times. I stayed here due to the people, not the layout. I stayed as others here reached out to welcome and help me. I've been blessed to have an automotive and motorcycle mechanical background. I've been able to explain what has worked, repair wise, for me, and like to feel it's helped others. If anyone here would like factual comments about the Vulcan forum format which it appears we are going to please reach out to me or NorthernRider as we both are members there and have some first hand experience with it. I'm here for friendship, receiving help, giving help, sharing others rides, sharing my ride and just to enjoy myself. THE PEOPLE HERE MAKE THIS POSSIBLE. This is a free forum to use hosted by Motorcycle.com and I'm really glad they give use the opportunity to be here. I'll get off the soapbox now and return to having fun.

·
2,370 Posts
Well said, Les. I, for one am going to give it a fair shot because, as you said, it's the people, not the format that make this forum so great.

·
Super Moderator
6,270 Posts
I wanted to echo what Les had to say. I really hate to see you leave, you are a great member.
Being in my 60’s I dislike change, however in this forum, I think it’s the best, I participate because of members like you. The members make this forum what it is and I’ll try to adapt to the changes because of it. The members are worth it just like you are. I sincerely hope you’ll reconsider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,208 Posts
not all opinions will be favorable or popular. and Chris's post technically doesn't break any forum rules, though i would caution participants of any forum to be careful in what they say about the people that run the site they are posting on.

i'm nowhere near my 60s yet, but i am also stubborn towards change. i never wanted to go to our current format. and years later i still hate this color scheme. it's several different shades of white and gray on top of each other that is mind-numbingly dull to me. so i'm kind of welcoming to something different now. i also understand that this site is just one of several under the umbrella of motorcycle.com and they can and will do whatever they see fit to enhance their brand and serve their audience. we can tell them if we like or dislike something, and it would probably take more than the suggestions of a small percentage of viewers to affect a significant change, but they won't know how you feel about something unless you tell them.

·
Registered
283 Posts
not all opinions will be favorable or popular. and Chris's post technically doesn't break any forum rules, though i would caution participants of any forum to be careful in what they say about the people that run the site they are posting on.

i'm nowhere near my 60s yet, but i am also stubborn towards change. i never wanted to go to our current format. and years later i still hate this color scheme. it's several different shades of white and gray on top of each other that is mind-numbingly dull to me. so i'm kind of welcoming to something different now. i also understand that this site is just one of several under the umbrella of motorcycle.com and they can and will do whatever they see fit to enhance their brand and serve their audience. we can tell them if we like or dislike something, and it would probably take more than the suggestions of a small percentage of viewers to affect a significant change, but they won't know how you feel about something unless you tell them.
Well said Bevo.
Sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it that matters.

·
Administrator
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey all,

Change is never fun or easy, and while we may be working towards the move, we want to let you know the one thing that won't change. The people. As so many of you have commented, the community and it's support will remain consistent no matter what features and functions the site has. This includes us here, we will be with you through the transition and we will be listening to your needs and ideas and we will work to update them throughout the process.

we can tell them if we like or dislike something, and it would probably take more than the suggestions of a small percentage of viewers to affect a significant change
I don't want this to dissuade you from making suggestions. We usually wait until a message has support from the community before implementing a change (would hate to have one vocal member the reason a site function shifts)
BUT we are always listening to concerns, and suggestions. We will even likely open a forum post on the new site when we move over so that your feedback has a central location. :)

This move has been considered for a bit now, and we really wouldn't be forcing something that would not help us dynamically respond to best ensure your safety, and still allow us to work with you to make the site comfortable.

-Gerrit

·
Super Moderator
6,270 Posts
Hi Gerrit,
I think having a central location for the members to go to is a great idea. Will the place for us moderators be the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.