Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 silverado 1100, 25000 miles. Bike has never been easy to start, was getting worse and now wont start at all. After some normal diagnostics did a compression check. 120 in the rear and 80 in the front. Oil looks good so I am guessing valves.

Is there anything special I need to look for when going in? Any common problems I need to fix while in there? Everything is stock now. Not really looking for a performance build, just want it reliable.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
2004 silverado 1100, 25000 miles. Bike has never been easy to start, was getting worse and now wont start at all. After some normal diagnostics did a compression check. 120 in the rear and 80 in the front. Oil looks good so I am guessing valves.

Is there anything special I need to look for when going in? Any common problems I need to fix while in there? Everything is stock now. Not really looking for a performance build, just want it reliable.

Thanks
put a tea spoon of oil into the front cylinder and re test if the compression comes up the rings are shot. if it stays at 80 the valves are leaking. the 120 cylinder should still fire off, around 100 psi is where the mix won't ignite but it kinda depends on the octane at those low pressures. if the valves are determined to be leaking never assume they are bad because a lot of times the valves will seat into the head eliminating the necessary rocker clearance and all that's needed is to adjust them to get the engine running perfect again. at 25,000 miles i doubt the rings wore out, check your valve clearances and you might be riding again sooner than you think.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Make sure you have the throttle open when you check compression or you're not getting correct results...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pauli, yep that is the first thing we tried. Had to do some family stuff going to check the adjustment in the Morning. Bike is firing off but wont keep running (probably just firing on rear cylinder)

Mick, I will try that thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mick you were right about the throttle. it worked for the rear jug. sitting dead on 150. And valves are right in spec. but now getting a clanging noise from front jug. Im betting bent valve. hoping a piece of metal didnt fall in and gouge cylinder wall. or a piston crack. Time to get out my rosary.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts