Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey there!

It's been a while since I've been on this forum. I had a V-star 650 custom for a while, but I've been riding a 2010 Vulcan 900 custom since then.

Anyways, I'm thinking about selling the 900 to get something better for touring. My girlfriend and I like to take trips on our bikes, but riding the 9 with my son on the back is pretty uncomfortable. There is a local shop selling this '05 Royal Star that I'm considering. I posted the link to the CL ad below. What do you guys think? Any thing I should know about the Royal Stars? Is the clutch action better than on the 650s?

2005 Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe - Price Drop!!

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
Looking at local prices for the same bike that is pretty reasonable for the age and mileage. Nice looking bike. New tires and a recent service is a plus. I would ask what the "Major service" was. Just to be sure it was not repair due to neglect or abuse.

·
Super Moderator
6,398 Posts
I gotta agree with my fellow members. Price is real good and it'll run forever. Definitely ask about the major service. It's a heavy bike, but very road worthy. Keep us posted, and feel free to visit more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
Those are "bullet proof" bikes and will run forever.

Things to consider ... rear shock leaking, 4 carbs that need to be balanced every so often, clutch basket "whine", clean and lube the "pumpkin" splines and torque pins aka "dampeners" at each rear tire change.

Balancing the carbs is pretty simple once a guy gets the "hang of it". You need an inexpensive (appx $100) carb balancer and a long phillips screwdriver.

Some of these bikes have a real annoying whine produced by the primary and clutch basket gears. Ride it to find out if it does. There's not much you can do to "fix" it. some have by replacing the clutch basket with what's called an " I " basket but that's a hit-and-miss.

Squeaking or "chirping" from the differential when rolling very slow... sometimes only heard rolling backwards, indicate the dampeners are dry and need to be cleaned and lubed.

On some years / bikes, it's been known that the rear shock fails. Do some research on this.

That's a great price; however, I'd thoroughly check it out for the shock and the whine.

A great forum to visit that has a LOT of info about these bikes (besides this one of course) is venturerider dot org

I notice it has aftermarket mufflers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts