Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my bike is going on being 8 years old now. Has Roughly 8-9k miles on it.
I like to keep up on my fluids. I have no clue if the previous owner did a flush.
If not is it time? Have never done one on a bike so not sure how much I need,
or what Brand. Winters are cold and my garage is not heated.
Figured I ask the experts on here. Any good videos to go by?
Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,354 Posts
Manual states every 16k or 24 months with ethylene glycol antifreeze. It's also on the pre-ride list to check level everytime.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,354 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
I knew somebody who used a electric blanket to keep his bike warm in the winter months. He had it hooked to a timer so it would cycle off and on a few times a day. Not sure I would do that but he did it for years.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Jspree, as often as you change your blinker fluid, lol. Synthetic blinker fluid lasts much longer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
I understand, I couldn’t help it either. Once my father was working on our car and asked my mom if she would hand him the left handed monkey wrench. She spent 10 minutes going through his craftsman tools, it was hilarious and couldn’t understand why we were laughing so hard.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Did he tuck it in at night and give it a kiss on the windshield before turning off the lights? :cool:
Well he is a different kind of guy but yeh he may have done that. He is famous for getting injured doing some crazy stunt on his four wheeler's just before motorcycle riding season. He makes an appointment with his favorite doctor named Dr. Summeroff...Then spends his summers riding while his co workers feel the burn!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I understand, I couldn’t help it either. Once my father was working on our car and asked my mom if she would hand him the left handed monkey wrench. She spent 10 minutes going through his craftsman tools, it was hilarious and couldn’t understand why we were laughing so hard.

Metric crescent wrenches are tough to find also!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Sending people for stuff is a very Navy thing...on ship you always send newbies for stuff I.E. shore line, flight line, water line , prop wash , but the best was we sent a guy to medical for 3 feet of fallopian tube ......he was not happy when he was schooled in anatomy. 👩‍🍳

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am still waiting on the air for my tires that I ordered from Japan. My understanding is that it is hung up in customs and should be delivered real soon.
If you time it right you can get some pretty good deals on air at the end of riding season when lots of stuff is clearance priced. But it is summer air and may not be suitable for your particular winter air needs, so buyer beware. As for me, I’ve never had a problem with hot air which, according to those who know me best, I possess in abundant supply.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a Stratoliner that is air cooled, how often do I need to change the air?........:rolleyes:
I would spray the engine down with Air Duster every 2-3 years just to be safe. lol

·
Registered
333 Posts
My grandfather was a real tease. I guess that's where I get it from.
He used to love to go to a big box retail store and stop the first young new employee he saw and act like he couldn't find something and then ask where the low calorie toilet paper was.
After a few minutes they would come back with a smirk on their face.

·
Registered
333 Posts
On a more serious note, I have a 10 year old SUV sitting in my driveway that I bought new in 2009.
It has never had the coolant changed.

I think changing coolant frequently is an urban legend that came from the coolant industry.
Most of you folks can remember when we were young chaps we were told that you should flush and fill your coolant every year.
Then around the late 70's or early 80's one of the major coolant producers' plant was destroyed in an explosion and suddenly there was a coolant shortage.
It was then that we were told the truth that you really didn't have to change the coolant every year. How convenient was that?

Test it every fall to be sure it is the proper mixture.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts