Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,755 Posts
Not a smart move at all. Could have caused a crash injuring others.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Maybe it was the spray on sun screen and he was just trying to protect everyone else

·
Administrator
13,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not a smart move at all. Could have caused a crash injuring others.
one of the passengers in the truck he pulled over had asthma and had to be hospitalized; the spray got over everyone in the truck, including those in the back of the truck who were videotaping their buddies doing motorcycle stunts on the public highway that had prompted several 911 calls which is how this cop was alerted to their presence.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just my 2 pennies because of my law enforcement background. Don't think that I would justify this idiotic behavior. Spraying guys in full face helmets with full leathers isn't going to do anything but get spray on their bikes which would probably eat the paint, it would definitely stick. Being that far away its not going to have any effect on anyone and I would assume the guys in truck are looking for a handout. I hate it so much I don't even carry it :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
one of the passengers in the truck he pulled over had asthma and had to be hospitalized; the spray got over everyone in the truck, including those in the back of the truck who were videotaping their buddies doing motorcycle stunts on the public highway that had prompted several 911 calls which is how this cop was alerted to their presence.
I'm more than certain you aren't justifying this police officers behavior but simply giving a little background. I agree with Stose85 on the comment about the guys in the truck looking for a handout (still doesn't justify the guys behavior at all). Much better way of handling these situations and I would never ride with a bunch of idiots doing stunts on the highway. Not only do I hope the police officer gets punished appropriately (Sorry, being lazy this morning and only read that he was suspended. Not sure what else has/will happen) but there were tickets handed out to at least a few of these knuckle-heads (only if they seen them breaking the law. Not because someone said they were. They might just hate motorcyclists and called them in.) who think the law doesn't apply to them.

Edit: Just read a little bit more. I stand by my original statement. I always move over for vehicles on the shoulder, or atleast slow down, but spraying oncoming motorcyclists with pepper spray isn't warranted in my opinion.

Just my 2 pennies because of my law enforcement background. Don't think that I would justify this idiotic behavior. Spraying guys in full face helmets with full leathers isn't going to do anything but get spray on their bikes which would probably eat the paint, it would definitely stick. Being that far away its not going to have any effect on anyone and I would assume the guys in truck are looking for a handout. I hate it so much I don't even carry it :)
The police officer should be dealt with appropriately and tickets should be handed out to several bikers who were breaking the law (If they seen them breaking the law). Real simple in my opinion.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Don't know man.. At lower speeds that stuff can easily make its way into a full face helmet. I took my Shoei helmet 4wheeling once and my face was covered with fine dirt particles despite having everything closed up and a chin deflector. :grin:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah, unless they were committing some sort of violent crime or running from the police, there's no justification in chemical warfare, which is essentially what this guy did. if they were acting like jackasses, pull them over, ticket them, enforce the law. If the cop doesn't think the law is sufficient, he might be in need of a career change.

Side note: this is why I dislike riding in large groups, especially when I was on sport bikes.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Don't know man.. At lower speeds that stuff can easily make its way into a full face helmet. I took my Shoei helmet 4wheeling once and my face was covered with fine dirt particles despite having everything closed up and a chin deflector. :grin:
Close your vents :laugh:

·
Administrator
13,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
everyone in the video was wrong. the bikers were doing stunts on the highway and this group posts videos of such on their facebook page and youtube channel. plus, legally, aren't you supposed to slow down to 20mph if you can't move over lanes away from a police stop? i know a couple of you LEOs can chime in on that one. at least, that's one of the arguments the cop in the video was making. but he was clearly wrong to have used the mace. he claims it was to move them away so he could conduct his traffic stop. but it wasn't a thought out decision to improve his safety. you can clearly see him mean mugging as he stepped out of his car. you don't have to be a psychologist to know he was acting out of emotion. and when he sprayed, there were only a small number of bikers left to pass which just took a second or 2 later, as if there was no other traffic on the road behind them granting him the exact same amount of clearance. you think he was spraying the cars and trucks behind them with mace?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Texas law is that you have to move over or slow 20 below the posted speed limit. 6 lane highway... seems plausible they were doing that. I'm curious why the truck was pulled over instead of the bikes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
he pulled the truck over to stop the filming and hopefully the stunt riding. even if they did nothing wrong it was a good tactic to lessen the reckless riding that would have occurred. the spray was just stupid though.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
everyone in the video was wrong. the bikers were doing stunts on the highway and this group posts videos of such on their facebook page and youtube channel. plus, legally, aren't you supposed to slow down to 20mph if you can't move over lanes away from a police stop? i know a couple of you LEOs can chime in on that one. at least, that's one of the arguments the cop in the video was making. but he was clearly wrong to have used the mace. he claims it was to move them away so he could conduct his traffic stop. but it wasn't a thought out decision to improve his safety. you can clearly see him mean mugging as he stepped out of his car. you don't have to be a psychologist to know he was acting out of emotion. and when he sprayed, there were only a small number of bikers left to pass which just took a second or 2 later, as if there was no other traffic on the road behind them granting him the exact same amount of clearance. you think he was spraying the cars and trucks behind them with mace?
your right on the money, everybody was wrong. i get aggravated with yahoos like them blasting by me standing the bike up, sometimes with in inches of me. there's plenty of lots and deserted roads for that but they just have too show off in front of people endangering everyone. the cop should have called in a road block and pinched everyone of em for reckless driving. in ct it's an automatic 1 yr suspension. i have nothing against sport bike riders until they start acting like jerks when they pass cruiser bikes

1 - 17 of 17 Posts