Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

861 - 880 of 891 Posts

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #861
A young couple mid April thought they might have it. All the symptoms but the fever went to a drive up testing at a hospital in Stockton. They were charged $4200.00 a piece. $2800,00 was for emergency room visit. They came up negative.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That’s weird, my wife and I both went for testing in early May as I thought I had it. Other than waiting for 45 minutes in the drive thru line didn’t cost us a dime for testing. Oh yeah, even though I had all of the symptoms, other than the loss of taste we both came up negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #863
LODI, Calif. (KTXL) — A Lodi man is speaking out about the costs of COVID-19 testing.
John Weston told FOX40 he and his wife were sick for weeks so they reached out to their doctor to see if they should be tested for coronavirus.
“We had most of the symptoms of the COVID-19 virus except for the fever,” explained Weston. “And because we didn’t have the fever then our doctor didn’t want to do the COVID-19 testing.”
Weston said when they weren’t getting any better, they reached out to Adventist Health Lodi Memorial Medical Center instead.
“They said yes, we’d be a good candidate to be tested,” recalled Weston.
They were among the first people tested in the hospital’s drive-thru line in April.
“I was under the impression it was free,” said Weston.
Their results came back negative but weeks later they got something unexpected in the mail.
“I got the explanation of benefits from my insurance carrier showing where they had charged the insurance company $4,200 per person for the testing. And $2,560 per person of that was for an emergency room visit and we never even got out of the car,” explained Weston.
According to the CARES Act, insurance providers are required to cover the cost of testing so Weston appealed the charges.
“There was never any mention that there would be charges when I was tested at the hospital. So, I was surprised, obviously,” said Weston.
Weston said because he met his deductible he will not have any out-of-pocket costs for his test but said his wife still has an outstanding balance of $2,800, which they are disputing.
“It’s a lot of money one way or the other,” said Weston.
He told FOX40 that the hospital should be more upfront about the costs and wants to warn others before they decide to get tested.
“When you’re getting tested ask how the charges work so you’re not caught off guard,” warned Weston.
FOX40 reached out to Adventist Health Lodi Memorial to ask about the cost of COVID-19 testing. They responded with a statement that read in part:
No patient should be billed by their insurance company for COVID-related care or testing. Under the CARES Act, insurance companies are responsible for paying for their members’ coronavirus-related care, including medical visits and testing. COVID-19 testing received in our emergency department is considered emergency services, and that visit is billed to the patient’s insurance. That is what pays for doctors, nurses and hospital care. The insurance company then determines which costs they will cover and what will be billed to the patient.
Anyone who receives a bill from their insurance company for COVID-19 care should contact their medical provider and insurance company immediately to correct the issue. If they received their care at Adventist Health Lodi Memorial, we encourage anyone who has questions about their COVID-19 testing statements to contact Patient Financial Services at Adventist Health Lodi Memorial.

·
Registered
01, Roadstar 1600. /08 1700
54 Posts
I read some of these stor
LODI, Calif. (KTXL) — A Lodi man is speaking out about the costs of COVID-19 testing.
John Weston told FOX40 he and his wife were sick for weeks so they reached out to their doctor to see if they should be tested for coronavirus.
“We had most of the symptoms of the COVID-19 virus except for the fever,” explained Weston. “And because we didn’t have the fever then our doctor didn’t want to do the COVID-19 testing.”
Weston said when they weren’t getting any better, they reached out to Adventist Health Lodi Memorial Medical Center instead.
“They said yes, we’d be a good candidate to be tested,” recalled Weston.
They were among the first people tested in the hospital’s drive-thru line in April.
“I was under the impression it was free,” said Weston.
Their results came back negative but weeks later they got something unexpected in the mail.
“I got the explanation of benefits from my insurance carrier showing where they had charged the insurance company $4,200 per person for the testing. And $2,560 per person of that was for an emergency room visit and we never even got out of the car,” explained Weston.
According to the CARES Act, insurance providers are required to cover the cost of testing so Weston appealed the charges.
“There was never any mention that there would be charges when I was tested at the hospital. So, I was surprised, obviously,” said Weston.
Weston said because he met his deductible he will not have any out-of-pocket costs for his test but said his wife still has an outstanding balance of $2,800, which they are disputing.
“It’s a lot of money one way or the other,” said Weston.
He told FOX40 that the hospital should be more upfront about the costs and wants to warn others before they decide to get tested.
“When you’re getting tested ask how the charges work so you’re not caught off guard,” warned Weston.
FOX40 reached out to Adventist Health Lodi Memorial to ask about the cost of COVID-19 testing. They responded with a statement that read in part:
No patient should be billed by their insurance company for COVID-related care or testing. Under the CARES Act, insurance companies are responsible for paying for their members’ coronavirus-related care, including medical visits and testing. COVID-19 testing received in our emergency department is considered emergency services, and that visit is billed to the patient’s insurance. That is what pays for doctors, nurses and hospital care. The insurance company then determines which costs they will cover and what will be billed to the patient.
Anyone who receives a bill from their insurance company for COVID-19 care should contact their medical provider and insurance company immediately to correct the issue. If they received their care at Adventist Health Lodi Memorial, we encourage anyone who has questions about their COVID-19 testing statements to contact Patient Financial Services at Adventist Health Lodi Memorial.
I read about this is not true he wasn't tested for Covid. here is the article. How much does a coronavirus test cost? Fact check of COVID-19 medical bills finds that online rumor of a $3,000 charge is false

·
Registered
716 Posts
I read some of these stor

I read about this is not true he wasn't tested for Covid. here is the article. How much does a coronavirus test cost? Fact check of COVID-19 medical bills finds that online rumor of a $3,000 charge is false
If anyone read the above article, you can see that before congress passed the Cares act that thousands of people were billed between $3000 and $4000 for testing.

The rest of the above cited article refers to another person who thought they might have the virus and went to the hospital and they tested for everything except Covid19. He got a $3200 bill which was not covered by the Cares Act. This continues to show how the US consumer gets royally screwed by the healthcare system.

What is worst part of all of this is nobody cares whether we are being raped on price as long as "I HAVE HEALTH INSURANCE".

·
Registered
54 Posts
Us old people get it taken out of our social security automatically. It dosn't cover everything so we buy a supplemental plan. To be honest I have never read mine all the way through. I could get ins. through my union hall but it would cost more.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Us old people get it taken out of our social security automatically. It dosn't cover everything so we buy a supplemental plan. To be honest I have never read mine all the way through. I could get ins. through my union hall but it would cost more.
Scooter your lucky. Medicare plus a supplement will just about cover everything once you meet the deductible which is very low. For years I took care of all my parents financial and medical concerns when they were no longer able to do it themselves. I'm quite familiar with medicare and it is better than most employer provided medical plans.

If you are between 50 & 65 and are self employed or your employer does not provide health insurance the healthcare system sees a target on your back and aims sharply at you.
I'm self employed and can't afford $1985.00 a month just to cover me, so I go without health insurance.
I had a simple blood test done last year that my wife, who is already on Medicare, also had done.
Medicare paid for her test and they paid the Dr $45.00 for the test.
I went to the same Dr and had the same test and since I had no insurance I was billed $185.00

The moral of this story is : don't get old, or don't get old with no health insurance or the healthcare system will bankrupt you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Scooter your lucky. Medicare plus a supplement will just about cover everything once you meet the deductible which is very low. For years I took care of all my parents financial and medical concerns when they were no longer able to do it themselves. I'm quite familiar with medicare and it is better than most employer provided medical plans.

If you are between 50 & 65 and are self employed or your employer does not provide health insurance the healthcare system sees a target on your back and aims sharply at you.
I'm self employed and can't afford $1985.00 a month just to cover me, so I go without health insurance.
I had a simple blood test done last year that my wife, who is already on Medicare, also had done.
Medicare paid for her test and they paid the Dr $45.00 for the test.
I went to the same Dr and had the same test and since I had no insurance I was billed $185.00

The moral of this story is : don't get old, or don't get old with no health insurance or the healthcare system will bankrupt you.
Right now things are kind of booming here. My union hall is a walk through. They need men. I could go back to work and still collect my union pensions if I wanted to and bank hours toward ins. No thanks I like retirement to much to go back.

·
Administrator
3,494 Posts
Wow, those costs are ridiculous. Someone is getting rich. We're told the tests here cost $150, but there is no cost for the patient. We need insurance here for prescription drugs (that is being discussed as becoming part of Medicare) but if we need to go to emergency for say, a broken arm or chest pains that lead to a heart bypass operation, there is no cost to the patient except for prescription drugs they may be prescribed. This is just one of things I love about living in Canada.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have talked to many Canadians and you folks have a great healthcare system.

I used to purchase my parents meds from Canada for years. One RX here my mom took cost $375 per month. Purchased it from Canada for $90 a month.

·
Administrator
13,869 Posts
something i haven't seen covered anywhere until John Oliver did so on his recent show is how much the prison/jail population is playing into this. they are basically huge petri dishes with the highest rates of the virus of any community and represent the largest clusters of virus outbreak/spread in the country. and it's not just the prisoners who have hardly any way of protecting themselves, but all of the staff that come in and out of the buildings each day that are helping spread it in the community. and because they're prisoners, they are getting less attention for protection and helping to stop the spread.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
scootersage are you a US Vet? anyone who has had more then 2 years ( 24 months) active duty can get VA health care, if you can get a 7 % disability VA will cover everything but dental. When I got my Social Security I opted out of Medicare. The VA covers everything , I have a hearing disability from working on a Flight Deck. It is only 10% but that gives me hearing aides and my glasses for free, plus all my prescriptions. It may have cost me 10 yrs of my life , but it is paying off now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
scootersage are you a US Vet? anyone who has had more then 2 years ( 24 months) active duty can get VA health care, if you can get a 7 % disability VA will cover everything but dental. When I got my Social Security I opted out of Medicare. The VA covers everything , I have a hearing disability from working on a Flight Deck. It is only 10% but that gives me hearing aides and my glasses for free, plus all my prescriptions. It may have cost me 10 yrs of my life , but it is paying off now.
No I am not but have friends who go that way. Altho alot of the procedures they need are only provided in Buffalo a 75 mile drive. There is a VA closer but limited service I understand.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
There is a VA closer but limited service
We have that here, people in Panama City come to Pensacola, But they are provided transportation for free. I have had to go to Biloxi , Mississippi. I was given transportation and a hotel room all payed for.
Now they have it that if you can receive treatment in your local area , they will pay for it, this is a program Trump got for Vets.

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
In TN our Governor has continued the State of Emergency until 29 which most of us LEO’s and EMS personnel predicted. There’s a reported 1,212 new cases across the state with mandatory mask wearing in the western half. On this side of the state, mask wearing is strongly encouraged.
Most of us predicted places were opening up too soon, well now they’re closing things down again because it was too soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
716 Posts
I wish everybody would just cooperate wear a mask and stay 6 ft apart. I don't really see that happening much here where I'm at. Maybe 20% of folks are doing it.
If we don't cooperate we could be facing this thing for decades.

I'm also wondering if it is being transmitted another way that they have not discovered yet?

861 - 880 of 891 Posts