Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was planning on going for a really long cruise in the summer... If my ride could survive.

I want to go from Abbotsford British Columbia to Cranbrook BC (778.5 km). Would the bike make it?

It only has 6,700km on it itself and shows no signs of breaking down anytime soon on local rides.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2007 650 Classic. Been all over New England with it.

It currently has 56k miles on it.

I would take your trip on my 650 and think nothing of it.

Have fun.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2007 650 Classic. Been all over New England with it.

It currently has 56k miles on it.

I would take your trip on my 650 and think nothing of it.

Have fun.
Even in a single day trip? I of course would make 2-3 stops for gas and supplies, but that's about it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
HI
good luck with your trip, I think you will have no problems.. one thing I would suggest is getting a very comfortable seat the stock seats are not comfortable on these bikes

good luck
Ron

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would think the 650 would be fine for such a trip. I rode a 380 (3 cylinder - two stroke Suzuki) loaded with camping equipment for a 6000 mile/month long trip - Columbus OH > Salt Lake City UT > Grand Canyon > back home. Years later, my wife & I rode a 650 Suzuki from Columbus to Yellowstone and back. Your bike will do fine.

Dave

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ride it like you stold it!

Based in San Antonio, Texas!
I have near 50k 0n my 06 xvs65v 650 Custom, been all over Texas,
2 round trips over 1,054 miles one way to Arizona, loaded to the HILT!
I forgot to mention, I had a motorcycle seat upholsterer completely re-build my seat from the pan up.
He added over 2 inched to the original thickness and required he make a new cover out of marine quality material.
Best of all worlds the seat could be longer and wider but the mod he did IS FREAKIN AWESOME to say the least.
150-250 miles 1 stop for gas and I am ready to go another 150-250 miles easily.
My DAWG "FRED" rides EVERYWHERE with me, the fuel stops coincide with his PEE-POOP needs as well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
I rode my 650 everywhere, never an issue on a long road trip. Ron is right about the factory seat tho. I'd consider a gell or air pad unless you can afford an aftermarket seat. Have fun and tell us all about it after you get back. Ride safe!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
794 Posts
Bike will run without problems... your rear end may be a bit sore! :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
No problem. Just don't push it beyond it's performance capabilities or your capabilities and it will get you where you want to go.

Wife and I put over 12,000 miles in two seasons on an old 1981 Virago 750 2 up fully packed. All up and down the western coast of Washington, Oregon and Cali and deserts of NV. ans AZ. all the way to the Mexican border. All through the Pacific Coast Mtns, Cascades and Sierra Nevada's, Lake Tahoe, Mammoth, Yosemite etc. The only problem we had was high elevation cold mornings it wouldn't start without taking the plugs out and warming them up first.

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
A few years ago I took a trip to the Rocky Mountains on a Kawasaki 125 Eliminator. It had a top speed of about 60 - 65 mph. The first day, from home to Fort Collins, was 400 miles, and the bike ran just fine at 55 - 60 mph. I ran it around the Rocky Mountain Park for a couple of days, then rode it the 400 miles back home. Contrary to popular belief, one does not need a big engine to travel long distances. The main constraint, if you are running less than about 200 cc, is avoiding Interstate highways.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No problem. Just don't push it beyond it's performance capabilities or your capabilities and it will get you where you want to go.

Wife and I put over 12,000 miles in two seasons on an old 1981 Virago 750 2 up fully packed. All up and down the western coast of Washington, Oregon and Cali and deserts of NV. ans AZ. all the way to the Mexican border. All through the Pacific Coast Mtns, Cascades and Sierra Nevada's, Lake Tahoe, Mammoth, Yosemite etc. The only problem we had was high elevation cold mornings it wouldn't start without taking the plugs out and warming them up first.
You are THE MAN haha! Thanks all for the advice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think it depends on the condition of your bike. How old are the tires/tubes?
Has there been regular maintenance done?
I've got a '00 1100 V Star with probably about 70,000 km on it and I'd take it anywhere now that it has a new front tire, oil change and valve adjustment.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think it depends on the condition of your bike. How old are the tires/tubes?
Has there been regular maintenance done?
I've got a '00 1100 V Star with probably about 70,000 km on it and I'd take it anywhere now that it has a new front tire, oil change and valve adjustment.
When I bought it, all basic maintenance had been taken care of at 6,700kms - It's just under 6,800 now.

The tires are okay. About 65-70% tread left.

I was planning on giving it a tune up before I left, which would be in the
summer.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The only thing I'd worry about are tires. With the mileage so low on that bike they could be original tires for all I know.
Do you know how old the tires are? If they are 14 years old even with 75% tread left I wouldn't trust them.
You'll go through some extremes on that trip and the Okanagan can get hotter than a desert.
I saw somewhere that tires have somewhere around a 6 year life span regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only thing I'd worry about are tires. With the mileage so low on that bike they could be original tires for all I know.
Do you know how old the tires are? If they are 14 years old even with 75% tread left I wouldn't trust them.
You'll go through some extremes on that trip and the Okanagan can get hotter than a desert.
I saw somewhere that tires have somewhere around a 6 year life span regardless of mileage.
Yeah I made the trip in my car last year and was cooking at the best of times haha.

AND HOLY MOTHER OF GOD I DID NOT THINK OF THAT.
I COULD BE DRIVING ON TIRES OVER HALF MY AGE...

Know of any good tires/tubes for a '00 650 Classic?
I'm not rich btw haha. Mid range price would be suitable, or even cheapies if they are good. (Is that even possible? Lol.)

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Yeah I made the trip in my car last year and was cooking at the best of times haha.

AND HOLY MOTHER OF GOD I DID NOT THINK OF THAT.
I COULD BE DRIVING ON TIRES OVER HALF MY AGE...

Know of any good tires/tubes for a '00 650 Classic?
I'm not rich btw haha. Mid range price would be suitable, or even cheapies if they are good. (Is that even possible? Lol.)
I would check prices and reviews at canadasmotorcycle.ca
You'll find many different opinions on tires, but my thoughts would be anything new is better than an old tire.
I was all set to buy Kenda Kruz tires to replace my bald Avon, but I stumbled upon a clearance sale at my local shop and couldn't pass up grabbing a white wall Avon for $70

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would check prices and reviews at canadasmotorcycle.ca
You'll find many different opinions on tires, but my thoughts would be anything new is better than an old tire.
I was all set to buy Kenda Kruz tires to replace my bald Avon, but I stumbled upon a clearance sale at my local shop and couldn't pass up grabbing a white wall Avon for $70
I went to my shop and they said they have tires for $220 a piece + installation.
However, if I buy them beer they will give me a sick deal haha! I'll update you guys when I find out the tires/pricing.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts