Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, I'm wanting a 21" front on my 1100. So I'm wondering if I can have my 18" redone or should I do a Harley conversion. Any shops out there that do this.

·
Registered
55 Posts
i did a harley 21" wheel. im in at under $400 counting the tire and powdercoat. i also over paid on the axle machining cause they were the only guys around to do it on short notice. its really pretty easy. just follow the KB.

[/IMG]

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i did a harley 21" wheel. im in at under $400 counting the tire and powdercoat. i also over paid on the axle machining cause they were the only guys around to do it on short notice. its really pretty easy. just follow the KB.

[/IMG]
What did your wheel come off? I found a few HD softtail 21" takeoff wheels for about $100 with a good tire. And axles on eBay with retry cheap.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Could I have my 18" 1100 wheel relaced up to a 21"

Josh baker that looks really good? I want to do the same to my 1300. What's involved with replacing a stock front tire to a 21" HD tire

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Just curious, I'm wanting a 21" front on my 1100. So I'm wondering if I can have my 18" redone or should I do a Harley conversion. Any shops out there that do this.
You may have trouble finding a rim with the right spoke count/spacing unless you have it custom made. I haven't checked prices for that lately, but it used to be pretty expensive.

Follow that link above....I did the write-up in the wKB on the process and have seen it done a couple other ways as well. But the method shown is tried and true.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may have trouble finding a rim with the right spoke count/spacing unless you have it custom made. I haven't checked prices for that lately, but it used to be pretty expensive.

Follow that link above....I did the write-up in the wKB on the process and have seen it done a couple other ways as well. But the method shown is tried and true.
That's my palm to do a Harley 21" swap on mine. But instead of the 3/4 shaft part my plan is to go up to 1" bearings(3/4",1", 25mm all interchangeable) and have 2 bearing reducers made to go from 1" done to 17mm so i can retain my stock axle. Just gotta find a nice wheel for a fair price.

·
Registered
55 Posts
thanks. my wheel came from a soft tail i believe. i unlaced it, had the spokes powder coated black, polished the rim and hub, and re-laced it myself. i gave $60 for the wheel on craigslist. i got the axle and spacers from ebay. planning on a different harley rotor soon.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
That's my palm to do a Harley 21" swap on mine. But instead of the 3/4 shaft part my plan is to go up to 1" bearings(3/4",1", 25mm all interchangeable) and have 2 bearing reducers made to go from 1" done to 17mm so i can retain my stock axle. Just gotta find a nice wheel for a fair price.
I'm running a 3/4" to 17mm spacer on mine right now. Only have about 5,000 miles on it....so no idea of long term service life yet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm running a 3/4" to 17mm spacer on mine right now. Only have about 5,000 miles on it....so no idea of long term service life yet.
I thinking the 1" to 17mm should be a little heavier so it should yeild better longevity. I got a line on a brand new take off 21" wheel of a soft tail with new tire, rotor and bearings for $100. Should have it tomorrow.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just bought a pair of 52mm OD x 17mm ID x 21mm wide bearings online. Measurement wise they should work. So hopefully when they arrive they fit in the wheel and over the axle. Then I should just need outer spacers and I'm ready to rock.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool ..keep us updated
Will do for sure. I got my quote from Buchanan yesterday to see the cost of having my hub laced with a 21" chrome rim, chrome spokes and chrome nipples. And total with labor was like $845 . Which is the cost of a brand new Rc components forged wheel. And I can even get other good forged front wheels for less. But after talking with a friend in the industrial electric field, he told me that there is almost every bearings size imagineable made these days. So I took some measurements and cross referenced with a few local Harley guys and found some that should work. I think with shipping it was $45 for the pair.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finished my 21" Harley swap. I'm very happy with it. I also have a writ up on how I did it so I was able to retain the stock axle and can interchange from my stock Yamaha wheels to the Harley wheel.

Here a pic.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts