Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still learning about all of the functions and capabilities of this bike as I go through the break in period. I have 2 questions, probably ignorant, that I can't find answers to so far.

1. Is there a way to program a route via my PC and 3rd party software and upload it to the Nav system? If so, what programs are people using. Am I to understand it will only take 5 way points though?

2. More ignorant question - I haven't use a CB radio since 1978 or so. Does the SVTC have a CB or is it just set up to integrate with one that I add on? I see it in my comms menu, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

3. Can anyone pint me towards a good reference/YouTube channel/other resource for questions like these? My dealer is much more knowledgeable on all things Goldwing and had only rudimentary info on the SVTC infotainment system. I've figured a lot of it out myself, watch the Yamaha vids that only touch the surface, and skimmed the forums for answers. Problem is that the model is so new that there isn't a lot out there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Still learning about all of the functions and capabilities of this bike as I go through the break in period. I have 2 questions, probably ignorant, that I can't find answers to so far.

1. Is there a way to program a route via my PC and 3rd party software and upload it to the Nav system? If so, what programs are people using. Am I to understand it will only take 5 way points though?

2. More ignorant question - I haven't use a CB radio since 1978 or so. Does the SVTC have a CB or is it just set up to integrate with one that I add on? I see it in my comms menu, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

3. Can anyone pint me towards a good reference/YouTube channel/other resource for questions like these? My dealer is much more knowledgeable on all things Goldwing and had only rudimentary info on the SVTC infotainment system. I've figured a lot of it out myself, watch the Yamaha vids that only touch the surface, and skimmed the forums for answers. Problem is that the model is so new that there isn't a lot out there.

Thanks!
Good to see you back! Let’s get to these...
1. YES, you can upload a route from your PC, but I haven’t done it yet. I know there are some people here who can tell you what travel program they used. YES, “currently” the program will only allow 5 way points. This is something MANY of us have complained to Yamaha about and I myself have called and spoke directly with them that a touring bike should be able to upload 20 way points and that 5 is completely rediculous.

2. The SVTC has a CB BUILT IN. You just need a compatible headset. ALSO, you’ll need to make sure you have the volume for THAT item selected for where you want to hear it (driver helmet, passenger, both, external speakers or all the above) and turned up to the volume you want for each.
There is a section in the infotainment manual that specifically addresses CB usage. There’s also a reason that that section is AFTER all the stuff regarding basic listening and volume control settings. If you’re not familiar with those first, you’ll struggle with set up here.

3. Your purchase CAME with a 118 page Infotainment Manual IN ADDITION to the Owners Manual. If you did not get one, your dealership failed you in that. It’s NOT available online. That manual is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to understand all Infotainment system functions.
Most of us owners here can answer questions you may have, but if you don’t have the Infotainment system manual, you’re already operating at a disadvantage.

It should be noted that EVERY question you’ve asked here IS ADDRESSED IN DETAIL in that manual.
I hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
What he said. Yes you have to have the manual to program a route onto a memory stick. There are 4 or 5 different types of nav you can build.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I've read through the manual several times now. Pretty good resource, obviously, but still doesn't address (that I saw) a couple of things.

1. Does dual zone have to be selected for the passenger passenger to control their own volume? Or is that just so she can select her own source?

2. I use the volume control on the left handlebar to change volume on the radio or media. 95% of the time it works correctly and shows me a number on the screen such as 10/17. Some of the time it will show 4/7 and not change the radio volume. As far as I can tell in the manual, the only thing on a 7 scale is the beep and ring volume - neither of which I have ever changed nor accessed since I've had the bike. Any ideas on why it's doing that? Anyone else have that happen?

Thanks

·
Registered
809 Posts
So I've read through the manual several times now. Pretty good resource, obviously, but still doesn't address (that I saw) a couple of things.

1. Does dual zone have to be selected for the passenger passenger to control their own volume? Or is that just so she can select her own source?

2. I use the volume control on the left handlebar to change volume on the radio or media. 95% of the time it works correctly and shows me a number on the screen such as 10/17. Some of the time it will show 4/7 and not change the radio volume. As far as I can tell in the manual, the only thing on a 7 scale is the beep and ring volume - neither of which I have ever changed nor accessed since I've had the bike. Any ideas on why it's doing that? Anyone else have that happen?

Thanks
Yes, you need to activate (turn on) Dual Zone, and your co-rider will be able to access and control all aspects of the system, independent of you. She/He can change sources/volume at will, and NOT interfere with the rider choices et all. Also she/he can access her/his phone as well, if it is connected (usually via the USB Port number 2, in the Tour Trunk. This is a very powerful feature of this bike...and of course, the bike's true value to the owner, is if he or she, takes the time to learn each and every tech/nuance of their ride. My wife loves being independent, and I probably now, could not buy EVER, another ride that did not have this feature at her station. She told me that now, she REALLY feels that she is part of the ride, and not merely being lugged around...(her words, lol). My wife takes calls, makes calls, we hold party line C.B. conversations with the Road Knights around us...and all of them, get freaked out, when I (for fun,) ask her not to say anything as I initiate a 'road traffic/construction' check conversation with an R.K....and then, about 2 minutes in...I say; "you know...my wife is also on this party line...and she speaks up...." The reaction is priceless, and we had on one occasion, a very good 50 miles interaction between the driver, his wife, myself, and my wife....they were into Harleys....but after my wife was talking directly to his wife, Carrie I think, was her name..but anyways, we told them that there was a Shell gas station coming up, and I only put in Shell Premium. They said, would we mind if they pulled in (room allotted) for his wife wanted to see our bike and have my wife show her this Dual Zone tech. Well, there was room (tight) for them, and they came over to the pump island...and while I was fueling, my wife and his wife were totally absorbed by my wife's description of use, and such. 20 minutes later...jeez....20 minutes later we were on our way, WITH THEM again...and another 75 miles was in a four way conversation (WE LOVE THE CB! and missed it on our 2008 Wing) with the result that they were going to go to a Yamaha dealer with their bike, and see what trade in figures could be had. The two most dominant features for Carrie, was her being independent of her husband, while riding...AND, she flipped when my wife told her about full heat coverage (they ride to the snowflakes as we do....) from her shoulders, down to her knees. Between the Dual Zone, and the heated co-rider backrest...Carrie was sold! I think her husband really was getting motivated by the obvious excitement in his wife's demeanor. He probably saw more miles...and the chance to get a new bike...and different bike (metric large bore V-Twin) with modern up-to-the-minute, tech. That was just one example of my wife's total adoption riding Charlotte, and it has made my ride time, so much better for myself. I can listen to the Stones...(not her favorite) as she flips about her easy listening jazz....gabs with her friends, takes some business calls (sneaking them in...) WE ARE GOOD! The miles aboard Charlotte, just melt away....the thrum of those beautiful twin mufflers, keeping back beat to the Stone's 'Satisfaction'....within my helmet... :)

Post Edit, you need to think of the volume menu's as the different channels of a mixing board. The left hand volume is the MASTER VOLUME but the 'board' menu will maintain any of your choices. You have to remember, the sound system was the child of Yamaha Music...and they manufacture and sell professional mixing boards...so they came into the design from a total music engineering stance. I use mixing boards all the time, so saw this right off...and when realizing what they did...it was a snap to configure the bike to my/her needs and now the Master Volume does its thing...

You need to master this...and then it will all make sense to you and your wife/partner

Have your wife/partner learn the ropes...to get what you paid for...!

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

Thanks
Yes, you need to activate (turn on) Dual Zone, and your co-rider will be able to access and control all aspects of the system, independent of you. She/He can change sources/volume at will, and NOT interfere with the rider choices et all. Also she/he can access her/his phone as well, if it is connected (usually via the USB Port number 2, in the Tour Trunk. This is a very powerful feature of this bike...and of course, the bike's true value to the owner, is if he or she, takes the time to learn each and every tech/nuance of their ride. My wife loves being independent, and I probably now, could not buy EVER, another ride that did not have this feature at her station. She told me that now, she REALLY feels that she is part of the ride, and not merely being lugged around...(her words, lol). My wife takes calls, makes calls, we hold party line C.B. conversations with the Road Knights around us...and all of them, get freaked out, when I (for fun,) ask her not to say anything as I initiate a 'road traffic/construction' check conversation with an R.K....and then, about 2 minutes in...I say; "you know...my wife is also on this party line...and she speaks up...." The reaction is priceless, and we had on one occasion, a very good 50 miles interaction between the driver, his wife, myself, and my wife....they were into Harleys....but after my wife was talking directly to his wife, Carrie I think, was her name..but anyways, we told them that there was a Shell gas station coming up, and I only put in Shell Premium. They said, would we mind if they pulled in (room allotted) for his wife wanted to see our bike and have my wife show her this Dual Zone tech. Well, there was room (tight) for them, and they came over to the pump island...and while I was fueling, my wife and his wife were totally absorbed by my wife's description of use, and such. 20 minutes later...jeez....20 minutes later we were on our way, WITH THEM again...and another 75 miles was in a four way conversation (WE LOVE THE CB! and missed it on our 2008 Wing) with the result that they were going to go to a Yamaha dealer with their bike, and see what trade in figures could be had. The two most dominant features for Carrie, was her being independent of her husband, while riding...AND, she flipped when my wife told her about full heat coverage (they ride to the snowflakes as we do....) from her shoulders, down to her knees. Between the Dual Zone, and the heated co-rider backrest...Carrie was sold! I think her husband really was getting motivated by the obvious excitement in his wife's demeanor. He probably saw more miles...and the chance to get a new bike...and different bike (metric large bore V-Twin with modern up-to-the-minute, tech. That was just one example of our my wife's total adoption riding Charlotte, and it has made my ride time, so much better for myself. I can listen to the Stones...(not her favorite) as she flips about her easy listening jazz....gabs with her friends, takes some business calls (sneaking them in...) WE ARE GOOD! The miles aboard Charlotte, just melt away....the thrum of those beautiful twin mufflers, keeping back beat to the Stone's 'Satisfaction'....within my helmet... /forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Post Edit, you need to think of the volume menu's as the different channels of a mixing board. The left hand volume is the MASTER VOLUME but the 'board' menu will maintain any of your choices. You have to remember, the sound system was the child of Yamaha Music...and they manufacture and sell professional mixing boards...so they came into the design from a total music engineering stance. I use mixing boards all the time, so saw this right off...and when realizing what they did...it was a snap to configure the bike to my/her needs and now the Master Volume does its thing...

You need to master this...and then it will all make sense to you and her.

Have your wife learn the ropes...to get what you paid for...!
As usual, an excellent story. Gotta tell ya, I love your writing style. You really draw the reader in! 👍

·
Registered
1,951 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Yep, learning that the individual volumes must be mastered. Wife rides with 3/4 and I have a VERY quiet full face Shoei Neotec II - so environmental noise is much different for the 2 of us. I've cranked her volumes all the way up ("these go to 17", with apologies to Nigel Tufnel of Spinal Tap) and mine down low, which makes things better. She's more than happy to listen to my 70s Classic Rock playlist, so she'll never use the full potential of the dual zone - just the volume controls.

Still perplexed about the left handlebar volume control randomly showing 4/7 instead of xx/17 when I run the volume up and down with the rocker switch.

+1 on the "thrum". Started the bike today and had to walk around the back to get something from the garage...and had to stop and marvel at the sound - absolutely perfect IMHO. My slash cuts on my V-Star were too much after a while. The GW I test rode was just too quiet. This is perfect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts