Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a metallic exhaust hose that runs from the forward exhaust manifold, down the left side of the bike to some sort of air induction assembly toward the back of the bike. See attached picture.

I've seen mods where people advised to block this off with an golf tee or marble to prevent popping and backfiring.

Mine is cracked at the bend and I wondered if anyone could tell me the net effect it would have on the bike's performance. I tried to JB weld but predictably, it didn't last long. I'll replace it if it's necessary but it's about $100 so my mean time between replacement will depend on the impact of the defect.

Thanks for any help.

Tombstone

Attachments

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
These tubes are part of the AIS system. They inject air into the exhaust system to help clean up emissions. If your bike is a pre 2006 and or pre 2005 Cali bike, you can remove the system with no ill effects. The later yrs had a catalytic converter and removal can cause an over heat condition. Here is a link to an article describing the removal process. I have a 2005 and mine is fully removed and plugged at the heads. If your tubes have already rusted through removal and not plugging is your option short of replacing the defective parts.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ-05.htm#AIS

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
These tubes are part of the AIS (Air Induction System). On bikes pre 2006 and pre 2005 California, the system can be removed or non-functioning with no ill effects. On the later yrs removal or non-functioning can cause an overheat condition of the Catalytic Converter present in these exhausts. As your tubes are already perforated removal is your only option short of replacement, depending on yr. Mine is a 2005 non-California and I have mine completely removed (all components). Here is a link to the removal instructions. Removal also helps with popping related to the installation of aftermarket performance exhausts.

http://www.sloneservices.com/SilverBack/VStar1100-FAQ-05.htm#AIS

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fulltilt1,

Thanks for the reply. My bike is an '06 1100 custom BUT I have Cobra slip-on's installed so I guess that removes the Catalytic Converter.

Removing the AIS as described, still calls for plugging the lines or removing the AIS system all together and plugging the elbows on the cylinder head so I'm guessing there is a reason to replace the tube in question if the AIS is not disabled.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Tombstone

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
When they talk about plugging the lines its usually done at the pump end not the cylinder head. If you do a google search for AIS Plugs you'll find some vendors that make the plugs and sell the kits, also try E-bay. You remove the elbows with vice-grips and a slide-hammer. I've also heard of using spent .45 casings on the tube portion of the elbow. Have no personal knowledge of that though. I removed the vacuum line from the rear intake manifold and rubber capped(Autozone), removed the pump (rear leftside engine cover) the chrome lines to the cylinders, the Elbows and plugged them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts