Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Crash bars

9K views 33 replies 19 participants last post by  Nelson 
#1 ·
Without going into the how/why, suffice it to say that my daughter knocked over my Strat. Fortunately, it landed in some boxes and a wire rack rather than straight to the floor. Fortunately, the only thing that happened is the rack put a couple of nice gouges in the windshield that I think I can buff out. Anyhoo, what I'm want to do now, is to install some crash bars that would *hopefully* keep it from going completely horizontal if the bike were to fall where there is nothing to catch it. Having said that, I am currently only aware of the Yamaha "big bars" and Cobra Fattys, but are either of those adequate or would they just fold up under the weight? I would maybe also like to install some "Buck's Lowers" on there. Just looking for some feedback, thanks!

#3 ·
I'd say go for the linby bars also.

I put on a set of black powdercoated linby bars with the flat top with foot pads, and a month later while at the end of a long wet raining cold trip, I got almost to my parents carport, and lost the monster in the grass and mud, it only fell over about a 45 degree angle and stopped, I was moving just enough that it plowed up a bunch of grass and mud, and crammed the left foot board up to it's upper limit, nothing hurt, but the bar was bent back about and inch, washed the mud off and kicked the bar back away from the boards, got home the following week, and took the bar off and straightened it out with a torch/rosebud tip, got it nice and then repainted the scraped bottom edge. So in the first month, it paid for itself with a no damage to the bike oops. I did know that heavy bikes going down a sloped driveway across the grass can be a pain once in awhile lol ! Oh and I was pitched off to the left side, full leathers all wet, I just rolled out and looked back at the bike, and it was just sitting there halfway to the ground. From that angle, it was easy to pick it back up. I know I would have damaged something if the bars had not been there, such as the fairing, mirror, saddle bags.
I came out good this time. I am planning on the saddle bag roll bars soon also.

#4 ·
i bought a brand new el'cheapo set off eBay. far cheaper than Yamaha big bars but they are not the quality either. the plating is suspect. seems soft like it is nickel plate and little (or no) chrome. the bolts were super cheap and everyone of them broke. i replaced with grade eight bolts, flat washers, lock washers and chrome acorn nuts where visible. they look very nice now and at a fraction of the price. they don't seem real big in size to me though. they are supposed to be a Yamaha Big Bar Engine Guard knock off. i made some elephant ears and they work great. no one will say their bars are "crash bars and i dont think they would help a whole lot if you are rolling over past the floor board bottoms. from my limited experience i have found that if the bike is moving and it's on it's side, there is nothing on that side that will be worth a whole lot. especially on our big bike's there is going to be little the engine guard would save.

#6 ·
I am only thinking of if the bike fell while at rest or moving very slowly, not to protect during a moving crash as I know there is little to protect in that event. I will look into the Linbys...thanks for the feedback!

#7 ·
Just ordered Lindbys as well....I believe they can save a leg during a lay down additionally. One store on EBay has the classic ones for app 285 vs the normal 318+ on google or the other eBay stores.

#8 ·
I'm right at 6' tall, wear 32" inseam pants...can you actually set your feet on these...comfortably (the Lindby's specifically)? Seems like it would be a bit of a stretch and may not be all that comfortable, but not having ever used them, it's hard to say for sure. I'm just judging by where I think the bars will be relative to my feet. In either case, I'll still want crash bars, just looking into which are most functional as highway bars too. I've got a good deal worked out on a set of the Lindby Multibar black PC'd, checking in before I pull the trigger on them.

#9 · (Edited)
Sure can !

I'm taller but do have 32" inseams and reach the top of the linby bar just fine, I think you will like it. Oh and it's nice to have a place to straighten out the old legs on the road..

Let us know what you pick.

#10 ·
Lindby Crash Bars

I am 6'1" with 31" inseam. I reach the bars fine. In fact sometimes I slouch in the seat a little leaning against my backrest and lay my feet on top of the bars around ankle high.
I don't think there are too many company's that make black bars like Lindby and you do have a midnight liner.

#12 ·
If you do decide to sell these, I may be interested. Would you be able to posy=t up pics of them? pref. on the bike...

I am in the market for some. I am leaning towards some Cobra ones I saw on ebay for $165. But for the right price I may take yours off your hands. Let me know...

#13 ·
Just looking for some feedback, thanks!
I have the Yamaha bars and they're completely adequate for the situation you describe. Your preference.

What you might want to take into your deliberation is protection of the very vulnerable saddlebags in the same tip-over situation.

The front portion of the bag rails (picture) is a very sturdy protection guard, and complements the protection afforded by the front crash bars. The bike can rest on the two support points without damaging the engine, floorboards, pegs, shifter, etc. The only things at risk on my bike on a tip-over are the Kury highway pegs.

As noted, the style of the crash bars you choose is up to you. All I'd mention is that to provide the protection you're seeking, they should extend far enough outward to minimize tip-over damage to all control extensions.

Good luck.:)

#14 ·
Linby bars to the rescue again.

All right guys and gals, I had a small fast battle with some black ice yesterday morning at 6am while trying to head out for work.
My driveway is kind of steep, and the unseen ice in the street won the battle. So this is another positive for linby bars, the bike
tried to go all the way around with me in a fast second, tossed my big ass off like a pingpong ball, can you say splat..
My strat was just sitting there at about 45 degrees on the left linby bar and foot board, and I was ten feet away with a dislocated left elbow and trashed left ankle...No damage to the beast, took three cops to get it back in the driveway and into my garage lol..
I'll be off work for a few weeks. When the xrays didn't show any broken bones I was surprised and although sore as hell, pretty happy. So Do the bars, they have protected my beast twice now, both weather related oopses....and I'm rethinking hard about my weather limits and riding, oh it was 26 degrees..

#15 ·
and I'm rethinking hard about my weather limits and riding, oh it was 26 degrees..
I've made the decision that anything under 38 is where I take the car now. I had a "discussion" with some black ice a couple years ago on the Ducati, and to be completely honest, it scared the hell out of me.

Now, I stick to temps where ice isn't typically hiding in the shadows.

Heal up sir!

#16 ·
I decided on the black Lindby Multibars, should be here by end of the week.

Regarding cold temps, my general ROT is 40 and over, but lately I've been riding in anything over 32. For me, anything above 40 is pretty comfortable, but below that, I do get cold...especially my fingertips. Glad to see the bars did their job, just sucks you took the beating. Hope you heal up soon.

#18 ·
Glad to hear your ok dcody40.We're not as young as we used to be so bouncing off a bikes just aint that much fun anymore.

#19 · (Edited)
I have the front crash bars on my Stratoliner..the rears look good and I may have buy them. That said, I ride down into the 20s if I know the roads are clear/clean (no salt/cinders) and with my heated riding gear (jacket liner/heated gloves). I also use Moose enduro handguards on the handlebars for wind protection in the winter----------they make a huge difference in how warm your hands are.

#21 ·
Well day five since my fight with the ice..

I'm doing ok, took the cast off yesterday, yuck nothing but purple and black, now i'm trying to get the range back and hand back.
And thanks for all the nice words....all the main roads were treated, but not our streets....I should have relized it, as they normally do treat them...nothing but black smooth. this one handed typing sucks. lol

#22 ·
I put on the new Lindby Multibars yesterday. I rode in with them today. Not sure if I like them or not, might take some time to adjust. As I kinda figured, it would be a stretch to actually rest my heels on the bars...and it is. I have to really sit forward on the seat and stretch out to an almost uncomfortable amount. I guess I can work around that.

My biggest concern, though, is it looks to me like the bars reduce lean clearance. Maybe not, but I am concerned that I would drag the bars before the floorboards. If so, this seems dangerous as it turns the bike into a tripod. Maybe this is not the case, but visually it looks like it to me.

#23 ·
I should measure the bars versus boards.

Other than the two saves of the bike, I have also scraped the bars a few times, your right, they do hit just before the board scraper does, but it just made a noise letting me know I hit them, didn't upset me in the turn at all, and I put on black powder coated ones just for that reason, easy to straighten out if you should bend them, and a black can of paint fixes up the scrape marks. Now I'm tall and my feet fit just fine either heal or all the way up resting the backs of my shoes on the rubber pads. You may want to think of some after market pegs and mount them on the bars, outboard of the normal bars.

Enjoy !

#24 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I've already scraped the boards a few times so I'll likely hit the bars until I know how far I can go. Mine are black too, so should be easy to refinish as you mention.

#25 ·
I have highway pegs mounted the bars also.
No way I could ever reach the bars. The pegs are mounted on the outside.
I prop the ball of my foot on the peg, heel is on the floorboard. Very comfortable.

#27 · (Edited)
Hey KRB thanks for the good words.

Maybe I should look up the Linby bar designer, and send him/her a case of their choice lol. I know how much damage could have happened without the bar, so I'm still pretty stoked about how well the bar did it's thing. I have the Saddlebag guards on the way, but don't ever want to do the flying ICE trick again, ouch, this is day day 9 and I'm back at work, moving kind of slow but moving lol.
My arm has been black and blue with various yellowing lol. But the range is coming back, can now type with both hands again wow.
I'm not ready to kick ass yet, but I'm getting there. I plan On riding this weekend, to get my mind set back in place. I have fallen off a few bikes, or been tossed off a few dirt bikes and splatted a few times in my many years on two wheels, and realize it only takes one little oops I didn't see that to get you ! Well I now have a new plan of walking down my driveway to see how the street is before charging off for wherever in the future.
Keep em safe out there and enjoy the upcoming decent riding weather.

#30 ·
I put the lindy bars on mine after I dumped her over in my slanted driveway while my ex-husband drove up. Of course he was laughing at me and I had to lay there until he lifted the bike off of me since I was pinned under the bike. I love them I am 5'3" and I can tippy toe it if I strech completely out. I am going to invest in some highway pegs next since on the long 11 hour ride I really wanted to change position just to keep from getting bored. You will love them. Make sure to post a picture once you get them on.

#31 ·
Day 16 since the bucking ping pong act !

Ok Guy/Gals, this is day 16 and my foot/ankle is doing good, only hurts when I laugh, the left elbow is doing allot better, so with nice weather this Friday I'm ready to tackle the beast again.
Oh I installed my rear crash bar and rail set this weekend, they look good, but noticed the bottom of the saddle bags will touch down before the crash bars. But I don't want to test that concept lol !

I straightened out the linby bar again, ignoring the scratches on the bottom of the tubing, I'll clean them up soon and repaint.

Now I know this is dangerous but both times I found a way to bend the linby bar, it got pushed back an inch or so jamming itself into the front foot board, gets in the way of my big foot, I whacked it with a BIG rubber mallet and got it almost back to normal, so I'll be making me a long prybar tweeker bender device, already found my conduit bender won't fit. For small adjustments lol !
And I'm also thinking or adding a tiny bit of stiffness to the lower section between both sides, I know what could happen here, something else could break or bend. Oh well I'm thinking anyway.

Enjoy !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.