Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've been commuting on my bike since 1981 and have seen some incredibly stupid things drivers and bikers do. But today was a first, At least he was at a stoplight as he was shaving his knuckles!!! What is the craziest thing you have seen on the road?

Super Moderator
I've been commuting on my bike since 1981 and have seen some incredibly stupid things drivers and bikers do. But today was a first, At least he was at a stoplight as he was shaving his knuckles!!! What is the craziest thing you have seen on the road?
Must be a California thing. 馃榾馃榿馃槀馃槃馃槄

Registered
riding home last friday.... some company had a regular garbage truck painted and used to pick up lawn and garden refuse, branches, leaves, topsoil

it was stopped at a corner, there was a guy sitting in the compactor in the back of the truck, where you would throw garbage if it was being used as a garbage truck. As the truck started to pull away from the stop sign, the guy riding in the back moved in further and was completely inside the compactor.

I guess some people really are too stupid to stay alive.

Registered
I used to drive a parking lot sweeper at night and have seen so much stupid stuff driving at night. The one that sticks out in my mind was a woman driving down the street without a tire. Sparks were flying back about 30'. Ya think she was drunk? Have seen people driving down the road bouncing off of the curbs like they were bumper bowling.
Night time after bars closing is very scarry.

Super Moderator
I worked 18yrs on midnight shift and it鈥檚 true that the creatures come out at night.
I鈥檇 made a traffic stop on a car, about 3am , for an expired plate, it was a newly married young couple and were returning from their honeymoon. I didn鈥檛 write and wished them all the best and as I was about to return to my unit, the husband and I saw sparks flying from the asphalt and a Ford Festiva coming towards us.I saw that it was running on it鈥檚 rim on the front drivers side with a female driver. I immediately got in behind it called out the plate as she had no headlights on , and it continued to weave in and out of its lane of travel. We reached the amazing speed of 22mph, fortunately there were no other cars on the road. After about 4miles she ran out of gas and bailed out the drivers side. I bailed out as well and caught her as she approached the front door of a local church.
She was hammered drunk and kept saying she wanted to get to her brothers house because he was a Minister in Memphis. I took her into custody and she registered three times the legal limit.
When we went to court she didn鈥檛 remember a thing. When I showed the Judge the video with her attorney and the county attorney, her attorney had her plead guilty and assess all fine and court costs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
My commute the last 9 or so years has been roughly 75 miles round trip. To say I have seen some stupid, selfish acts is to put it mildly.
I have seen these acts committed by drivers & occupants of cars.

* Males receiving oral sex (performed by both sexes.)
* Females receiving oral sex (performed by both sexes.)
* Every single occupant of a vehicle on the phone & not a single one looking at the roadway!
* Eating cereal from a coffee mug.
* Watching a movie on a tablet.
* Reading a book.
* People drinking beer @ 7am in bumper to bumper traffic.

Beside being on the phone. The one that pisses me off the most is ...
Females putting on makeup while drive.
They are looking in the review mirror. Looking putting on eyeliner.

The one that made cock my head in confusion was ...
An old gent in a convertible. Reading the newspaper, fully open & driving 70+ mph.
I could not understand how he thought it was safe. Nor if he could see the road.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!

Registered
Like @Scrumdown I have seen the newspaper being read, eating a bowl of cereal, young kids on laps of driver, make up, books being read and the person too cheap or stupid to tie their mattress down. Seen a few of them fly off while traveling the freeway. Nothing gets your attention like a king size Serta airborne at 70 plus...However... Phones are a big issue with me. When I come to a stop both in my car or on the bike I am always watching my rear view wondering is this the day I get blasted from behind by the head bobbing driver. I am trying to figure out if the new lane departure, or too close sensors are making things safer or worse on the road as they become more prevalent.

Registered
I was going up north with a friend in his new truck and the minivan lost a boxspring from the roof and it flew right over his truck and blew up on the hwy behind us. One time i was stopped at a red right i was in my gmc. A dodge ram was bearing down on me and i am watching in my mirror. I thinking he cant stop swerving from side to side. Wham. I got out and he said doesn't look like much damage on you truck. I said doesn't look like yous fared as well. I had my hitch in and it bent the hell out his beautiful chrome bumper on his truck. Makeup reading books and just plain stupid.

Registered
As with the other commentors, cellphone use fries my bacon...

I put myself through college by driving a truck, late 70's-early 80's - mostly in and around Boston (spit, "what-a-driva'!") Aside from all of the sex acts, and several others, not described by Scrumdown (which I am certain he also saw), the most incredible was when some guy in an old VW Beatle was trying to get into the correct toll lane (back when tokens were the "EZPASS". He jacked up his brakes, right in-front of another big rig, in what could reasonably be described as either a suicide attempt or a Darwinian,"Hey you! out'a the gene pool..."

When the ass end of the big rig swept past the passenger door of my International cab, FOUR lanes over, the guy in the convertible to my left(could not see anything but ahead, and my truck,) was hand signing "you're number one", as I squeezed him out of the fifth lane and into the breakdown lane. Meanwhile, the other trucker powered through the jack-knife and still managed to avoid the EYE-D-OT in the VW, AND then stop for the toll... At the booth, the guy to my left was screaming at the Mass Transit cop who saw the whole thing, along with about six other ticket punchers... The cop growled..."shut up, get movin', you're lucky the truck didn't crush you and now you're blocking traffic... I pointed to the other trucker and said, "that guy gets a gold medal!"...the cop said, "You did pretty good yourself son,...have a nice day...get movin', you're blockin' traffic..." Best day of my life...up to that point....

Registered
1. driving through Okie City in '75 I saw the hood blow off a mustang coming the other way on the interstate. It was spectacular. It flew up 20 or 30 feet slowly flipping over and over and then started down and ---- didn't hit anything and nobody hit it! Amazing. On a busy interstate. There was a lot of swerving and honking, but as of the time I had to stop looking, no wrecks.

2. driving through Dallas on the LBJ loop one Sunday morning i watched an 18 wheeler lose a wheel and tire. Broke off the left rear axle of the trailer and just followed along beside him for awhile. I slowed down to get ready to dodge it and got to watch as it rolled left across two lanes, into the median, hit the guard rail then started back across all the lanes without hitting anything or causing an accident (Light traffic, fortunately). It rolled up the embankment on the right, ran out of steam and started back down but coasted to a stop and fell over without rolling back onto the road. The truck never stopped. I don't think he knew anything had happened.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts