Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding less than a year, I bought a brand new (old stock) 2015 V Star 950 T, added a lot of accessories since then, fairing, Power Comander, intake, exhaust and a tour pack for the trip. We left home, central Va, and headed south to New Orleans for my girlfriends birthday. We headed west and north through Texas then across New Mexico and Arizona. Stayed in Winslow and stood on the corner and rode on route 66. Headed north to Utah and on the way stopped at the Grand Canyon and Meteor Crater. From Utah we headed west through Nevada, saw the main entrance to Area 51 and a lot of nothing. Stayed in Tonaph and got a bad tank of gas, the check engine light flashed a few times above 85 mph. From Redding Ca to Eureka Ca is 149 miles and a 4 hour ride, 100 of those was the most beautiful, curveist I have ever seen. Rode through the Redwood forest and saw the sunset on the Pacific Ocean. We decided to head north and not go back through the desert, we stayed just outside of Portland Oregon. We got up for the journey back to Virginia and had breakfast, that's when things turned bad, I got very sick. It took about 3 hours to go maybe 100 miles and I felt like death warmed over. We had a limited amount of time to get home so we could go back to work so we decided to rent a box truck and head home. 50 hours later of straight driving and we pulled in the driveway. The only good thing about driving the truck was we had 2 and a half days to recover. We covered 22 states and I consider the trip to be a success, several bucket list items were checked off and we learned a lot.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,894 Posts
Sounds like a great bucket list trip. It's a bummer you got sick at the end, but glad it all worked out. How many miles did you average a day? What would you do different if you did it again? How was the weather?

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
I plan on following your footsteps, but I think it will take me a couple years to go as far as you went, in what sounds like.. maybe a month?

Getting sick is one of those things you cannot plan for. I have fallen ill on 700 mile day trips in the car with my family - you pull into a restaurant and just stare at your dinner and dont feel like eating, but you still have 300 miles to go, and thinking maybe we should get a hotel room and stay here. Im my case I pushed on and got home ok but I was miserable, and that was in a nice big comfortable quiet car.

I have also gotten sick on shorter (200 mile) day trips on my MC. Last time I think I had the stomach flu, every time I hit a bump in the pavement it felt like someone punched me in the stomach.

Sounds like it was a great tour, in spite of the mad-dash back home.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
Sounds like a great route, I also would like to know how many miles per day you averaged. I am planning a similar trip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We would ride 5-600 miles per day and every 3rd day we would take a break and just see the local sights. We rode 4970 miles in 12 days until we loaded her on the truck. I will be taking more trips like this, I don't really think I would do anything different except make sure I take a different route each time. The worst of the weather was from Chattanooga to New Orleans, the heat index was 105-110. Riding across Nevada was not nearly as bad, I would suggest taking extra gas and at least twice as much water as you think you will need. We hit very little rain, the worst of it was when we arrived in Arizona, hail hurts like hell! We bought some extra clothes in Northern California, it was much cooler than we expected.

·
Super Moderator
2,339 Posts
A ride like this is definitely on my bucket list. I'm lucky enough to ride to the Redwoods 6 or 7 times a year having a couple of friends up there.

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,577 Posts
Sounds like you had a great trip. I did a trip out west to Montana and Yellowstone and back last year. Hope to do it again one day. They are alot of fun.
I lived in San Diego for 31 yrs and on my old 91 Venture Royale, we used to go camping up around there. Stunning views!
Hopefully you had the chance to take PCH 1 all the way down through Monterey.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I lived in San Diego for 31 yrs and on my old 91 Venture Royale, we used to go camping up around there. Stunning views!
We did not get to make that ride. We are talking about doing another trip and including the PCH on the agenda. Hopefully it will happen as we all want to ride it.

·
Super Moderator
6,791 Posts
Glad you got home safely, and saw some great scenery. Despite getting ill, I hope your next trip you won’t have to deal with that. I also liked the Eagles reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,577 Posts
We did not get to make that ride. We are talking about doing another trip and including the PCH on the agenda. Hopefully it will happen as we all want to ride it.
I hope you do. It’s truly epic scenery!
If you make it down to Monterey, go east about 4 hours and you’ll make it to Yosemite. Another stunning destination!
Of course, given all the fires currently in the area, I’m not sure what kind or landscaping you’ll see.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts