Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I picked up my bike yesterday, the gear indicator was working but both times today when I took it out it did not work.

Also when I tried to set the cruise control it would turn on, but I could not set the cruise.

I don’t know if the two are related. I did see there is a fuse for the cruise control, but since it turns on I don’t think it is the fuse.

Still searching the manual but if anyone has some suggestions, they would be welcome.

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
When I picked up my bike yesterday, the gear indicator was working but both times today when I took it out it did not work.

Also when I tried to set the cruise control it would turn on, but I could not set the cruise.

I don’t know if the two are related. I did see there is a fuse for the cruise control, but since it turns on I don’t think it is the fuse.

Still searching the manual but if anyone has some suggestions, they would be welcome.

Thanks,

Eric
regarding the “gear indicator” It should display all the time EXCEPT when you have the clutch pulled in. It’’s another oddity with this bike. Gear display only shows when the clutch lever is released.
Regarding the “cruse Control” are you sure you’re using it correctly? You have to push the “Cruise” button on the right top handlebar controls. This should show on your dash as a YELLOW indicator that looks almost like a speedometer. Then at your desired speed, briefly push the button (same handlebar controls) that says SET. It’s the same button that has a + and - on it. As soon as you push it, the indicator should go green on the dash.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
regarding the “gear indicator” It should display all the time EXCEPT when you have the clutch pulled in. It’’s another oddity with this bike. Gear display only shows when the clutch lever is released.
Regarding the “cruse Control” are you sure you’re using it correctly? You have to push the “Cruise” button on the right top handlebar controls. This should show on your dash as a YELLOW indicator that looks almost like a speedometer. Then at your desired speed, briefly push the button (same handlebar controls) that says SET. It’s the same button that has a + and - on it. As soon as you push it, the indicator should go green on the dash.
I understand that it works only when the clutch is out. I have no indicator when I am traveling down the road. Put about 70 miles on the bike today with no gear indicator whatsoever.

I get the yellow indicator when I press the cruise button, but when I press the set button nothing changes. I know there is a fuse for the cruise, have not checked it yet (will do so tomorrow) but since I do get the cruise indicator I don’t think it is blown.

Have not seen anything in the user manual that addresses these two items. A google search has not helped much either unless I want to pay to talk to some mechanic.

Still looking, any talking any and all advice.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't have a Venture or Eluder but, it sounds like these are related with a 'clutch pulled' symptom. That is, gear indicator won't work if clutch not fully released and, cruise should disengage for the same reason. That's where I'd be looking... clutch switch.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have a Venture or Eluder but, it sounds like these are related with a 'clutch pulled' symptom. That is, gear indicator won't work if clutch not fully released and, cruise should disengage for the same reason. That's where I'd be looking... clutch switch.

Ok will check that out, thanks.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts

That’s a good take on that. I would tend to agree. Good starting point!

·
Registered
229 Posts

Thanks,

Eric
Eric, not that I have any great expertise to share but what was done to the bike before you picked it up? Was it at a mechanic?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i purchased it new with 34 miles on it. Just bringing it home. They did have to re initialize the gps. When I was riding it around the parking lot before loading it on the trailer the gear indicator was working. I couldn’t verify the cruise at that point. The only thing that comes to mind that might have happened is the strap moved something on the brake lever on the way home. There is not an easy way to tie the bike down for transport.

Again any advise is helpful.

·
Registered
455 Posts
The gear indicator is computer based. 50 mph @ 1500 RPM = 6th, 50 mph @ 2000 RPM = 5th, etc,etc. I do believe it to be the clutch switch too. Is the gear indicator just a line? That is what mine shows when I pull in the clutch.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did some checking on the clutch lever and found a push button switch to be out of alignment. (see pic 1) I put it back into position and it now works. (see pic 2). I have both the gear indication and the cruise control working. Thanks for all the advice, it helped steer me in the right direction.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
4,673 Posts
Glad you got it fixed and it was something simple. JimCanaday, excellent call out. I think it's cool that someone without experience with the bike model thought logically and help point to a starting place to look. This really is a great forum.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I did some checking on the clutch lever and found a push button switch to be out of alignment. (see pic 1) I put it back into position and it now works. (see pic 2). I have both the gear indication and the cruise control working. Thanks for all the advice, it helped steer me in the right direction.
Awesome! Glad you got it figured out. KUDOS to @JimCanady . Some solid logic put forth!

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Glad you got it fixed and it was something simple. JimCanaday, excellent call out. I think it's cool that someone without experience with the bike model thought logically and help point to a starting place to look. This really is a great forum.
Couldn’t agree more @lesblank!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey, sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut! Happy to have been able to help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
That's awesome! I have read other posts where the cruise control will not work because the bike's fuel is on reserve, as well as several (including a current thread in this forum) regarding a failure of the front brake switch or modulator.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts